do you think...

tony69

someone might get a score rejected and williams be called on to do the score in 2006? that happened with the patriot. one can only hope:).

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, and I was really looking forward to David Arnold's score for The Patriot. John Williams' score was good, but I still wonder how different Arnold's would have been and what Emmerich and Devlin thought was so wrong with it.

Yeah I want some composer who has spent alot of time and months writing his music to get rejected just so Williams can come flying in and replace him..... :roll:

That's not what happened with The Patriot.

I think that, at this point, Williams has his schedule too planned out to allow for such a thing.

Yeah, and I was really looking forward to David Arnold's score for The Patriot.  John Williams' score was good, but I still wonder how different Arnold's would have been and what Emmerich and Devlin thought was so wrong with it.

Makes me think of Alan Silvestri's Pirates of the Carribean. ;)

As far as I know, Arnold never wrote more than a few demos before Emmerich & Devlin decided he wasn't right for the movie. Personally, I would rather have heard what JNH or Silvestri could have come up with (nothing against Williams, but his score is among my least listened to and these guys would have fit it too).

And yeah, I still think about what Silvestri would have done on Pirates - Mummy Returns meets Cutthroat Island... ;)

Arnold himself stated on the board of his website that he was never fully involved with the patriot.

I still like William's music for the patriot especially because i don't find it intrusively patriotic. Not one of his best for sure but definitely a well done score especially in the film. The album of the patriot was rather weirdly arranged and maybe that was the problem.

I still think about what Silvestri would have done on Pirates

Something better for sure ;)

Think about the difference about The Patriot and Pirates of the Carribean.

Arnold is a very good composer, and his score would have surely be good, but luckily he was replaced with the best choice possible.

But Silvestri? Alan is one of the greatest composer, and I really would love to hear a pirate action/adventure score by him.

He was replaced with a bad composer. Badelt isn't good. Even Zimmer can do better. The only good aspect about Zimmer scoring both PotC 2-3 is that at least he can't get any worse than the first one.

Arnold's score for The Patriot would probably have been more subdued. I personaly don't think that Silvestri is as distinguished as a lot of people think (though I do love him), but Badelt isn't necasserily a bad composer. He could do good work under the right circumstances. The trouble is, that Silvestri was not replaced by one bad composer, but by 15 composers, most of whom are not too experienced, and have never done a none synth heavy MV action score.

Either way, I'm sure Silvestri would have delivered a great score, much, much, MUCH better than the film recieved. But that is Bruckheimer's fault, not Badelt's.

I actually like the PotC score for the first 20 minutes or so. But once the Sparrow/Turner fight starts it all goes out the window. It's horribly scored, and it doesn't get better again for the rest of the film. The Moonlight Seranade sequence is one of the worst-scored scenes I've seen (as is the pirate/marine fight).