What Signature Editions do you have???

Josh500

Hmm...THATS why I could never find it in there! That was my favorite part. :huh:

Hey Joe,

Check your PM in a few minutes. I'll send you an audio that corresponds to the Signature Edition score.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got Escapades today...which pieces do the pieces in the suite correspond to? I admit I don't know the score for this film very well...

1) Closing In = "Catch Me if You Can"

2) Reflections = "Recollections (The Father's Theme)"

3) Joyride = "The Float"

Of course, there are a few differences between the original soundtrack and the concert versions, but it's a good read anyway.

On another note, my copies of E.T. Flying Theme, Mission NBC News, and Sayuri's Theme are scheduled to arrive tomorrow. Can't wait!

Just got my copies of E.T. Flying Theme, Sayuri's Theme, and Mission NBC News today (finally!). For those wondering, Sayuri's Theme is the orchestral version that was performed at the 2006 Hollywood Bowl concert.

Just curious, but isn't getting a score for the Flying Theme kinda obsolete? I mean, most of the material in there (apart from the short intro) is included in "Adventures on Earth", so why pay much money for little new stuff?

Just got my copies of E.T. Flying Theme, Sayuri's Theme, and Mission NBC News today (finally!). For those wondering, Sayuri's Theme is the orchestral version that was performed at the 2006 Hollywood Bowl concert.

Does a recording of this version exist?

well this is not an update but more of a review....

Today i got a Signature Edition that i've been wanting for a very, VERY long time, Battle of the Heroes. But, to my surprise, i was very, VERY dissapointed. i have 4 SE's besides BotH......The Flight to Neverland(great), Adventures on Earth(great), Harry Potter SS(even better), and Star Wars(Amazing). all four of those were up to my expectations. but today, when i followed along with the recording of Battle of the Heoroes, ALOT, and i do mean ALOT of stuff wasn't in the SE as u could obviously hear in the recording. Examples: At the beginning when the melodie is introduced. u can definatly hear Horns, WW and Trumpets. In the SE only WW and Horns are scored???? other examples include: wrong harp cues, alot of Timpani is missing, and one biggy that really upset me was towards the end of the piece were u can cleary hear viola, cello and marimba, but in the SE, only viola is scored. i have no clue if this has made sense to any of you but all i would have to say is that i would NOT recommend this SE! over-and-out :music:

Well at least in the beggining...I think the reason you hear trumpets playing with the horns and WWs is because the horns are using the "stopped horn" technique. Basically, the hornist stuffs his/her fist into the bell to completely cut off the flow of air leaving through the bell. It causes a muted and very brassy sound that can VERY easily be mistaken for the sound of a trumpet, especially in an ensemble setting.

ya i knew about the "stopped" technique, but i could swear i could hear a trumpet adding color to the horn, but i guess im wrong. But has anyone noticed how this piece really doesnt correspond with the recording, and are there anymore like this. because i really regret not getting Viktor's Tale. lol

To be exact, half of the horns do this, the other half not, or do I err here?

I don't have the signature edition, so it may be half. I was just going by ear. If it is half the horns, then the could explain the "trumpet adding color" effect. That way you hear both the regular horn's tone AND the brassier stopped tone.

well i just found that Battle of the Heroes youtube clip, and that recording is the one that corresponds with the Signature Editions, just wish i could find a cleaner recording of that concert tho

• 3 weeks later...

::VIKTOR'S TALE::

//note//this is a review on my new Signature Edition and can i ask users to do the same just so other users can get a preview before purchase=]

but anywoo.....

Instrumentation

Flute 1,2,&3

Piccolo

Oboe 1,2,&3

Solo Bflat Clarinet

Bflat Clarinet 1,2,&3

Bflat Bass Clarinet.

Bassoon 1&2

F Horn 1,2,3,&4

Bflat Tumpet 1,2,&3

Trombone 1,2,&3

Tuba

Timpani

Percussion 1(Bass Drum)

Percussion 2(Sm. Tambourine, Sm. Triangle, Piatti)

Percussion 3(Marimba, Glockenspiel)

Accordian(optional)

Harp

Piano

Violin 1&2

Viola

Cello

Bass

Performance Time: 4:30

I will say i was pleased with this SE overall. A great dance-like piece that i think will be a audiance pleaser. It corresponds with the recording fairly well except for a couple of thing missing and a couple of thing added!

For instance. Starting a measure 13 you can easily hear the harp playing some off beat notes, but it is not scored in the SE. At measure 23 JW added a Bass Drum playing the beat and a Small Tambourine playing off the beat, These instuments are not in the recording but i wish they were!!!!!o well.

Moving on at about measure 41 the celli & bass has the 4th note scored in the next 2 measures on the beat when in the recording they are off. Then at measure 47, JW added some more Tambourine along with more Bass Drum at this segment. Now this next segment i could not distinguish if it was recorded the way it's scored in the SE but at 58 one of my favorite parts of this piece you have the Celli and Viola playing that beautiful legatto countermelodie but it is scored kinda wierd from the recording, or maybe i just cant distinguish it but around 59 it kinda throws me of because i play it how its written but i really does not sound like it but i can somewhat she that it could easily sound like that in the recording if that makes sense??? but its no biggy. But everthing after that is identicle to the recording. O and JW wrote out how he wants the Clarinet Cadenza. But ending this review i would like to say that i think this score is definantly not worth 375 dollars for the full set. Why you ask. Well through the whole piece its moslty Clarinet and strings and a lot of the instruments dont even come in until close to the ending. The trumpet first not is in the very last measure lol. And i have no clue why there is a piano in the SE becuse it doesn't play a single not. it just has the clarinets cue in the las couple of measures.

I'd rate it 7 out of 10 IMO

Stohr1984

You paid the $375 for the entire Viktor's Tale set? No score is worth spending that much, unless you are a conductor of an ensemble. I assume you know that the scores are also sold on their own without individual parts for a lot less, right?

Or did you buy the score by itself and are recommending to other not to splurge on the full set based on the score alone?

Well, I think what you tell about the score (many instruments not having to do really much) is clearly evident by listening to this piece. And any orchestra that wants to play it won't care... the music is as it is, why should everything be for full orchestra from start to finish?

We recently bought the Schindler's List set, which has a similar price tag, and has lots of instruments playing very few notes (in addition to the piece being scored for a reduced orchestra in the first place), but the music is as it is, and that's what we want to play, so we bought it. The price may be quite a bit higher for JW scores than other pieces, but it's not outragiously over the top like one could get the impression... performance materials are expensive, that's the reality of it.

ChrisAfonso, i have a question. Do u have the Dry Your Tears, Afrika SE. because i cant find anything on it and that is one of my favorite JW pieces. can u give me some quick info on it. it would be greatly appreiciated!

I have the hardcopy of Afrika, but no scan. Anyway, here's what I can tell you about it. It's scored for full orchestra, plus SATB chorus and children's chorus. The introduction starts off with four measures bass note syncopation in the bass clarinet, piano, harp, and marimba, with percussion filling in the gaps. From there, it's basically where the last track on the soundtrack starts (with some orchestration filled in where the chorus was by itself on the CD), and continues that way until the end of the slow section where the strings are featured. The piece finishes with a much brighter ending, first re-stating some rhythmic figures in the horns, with trumpet flourishes balancing it out. Then there is a concert C that is held as the chorus sings one last "Afrika" and the entire orchestra and chorus completes one final sustained crescendo. You should get a copy of this piece, even if you have to shell out the money for it. It's one of my favorite pieces too. I was surprised to discover that the flutes play very little in it though. Most of the woodwind action comes from oboes and clarinets. Hope this helps. ;)

i just love the off beat syncopation of pretty much all the instruments. I played the cello part in it for a youth orchestra concert and from what i remember, our part was pretty basic with some difficult counting in it. Hey KingPin, whats the hard copy and can i get a recording of the actual SE performance.

By hardcopy, I just meant that I have the SE score that I purchased rather than a PDF scan of the score. I can PM you a recording of the SE version in a few minutes.

ya can you please and while were on the recordings do you have anyother SE recordings for like, HPSS, Because i wanna hear the Sorcerer's Stone, And that alternate ending for Harry's Wonderous World. u can pm me those at a later date i was wondering if you have them?

The alternate ending for Harry's Wondrous World is what appears on the Chamber of Secrets soundtrack. I don't believe that there is a recording of The Sorcerer's Stone movement. But I can get you Nimbus 2000, and some other movements from the Children's Suite too.

By hardcopy, I just meant that I have the SE score that I purchased rather than a PDF scan of the score. I can PM you a recording of the SE version in a few minutes.

Hey KingPin, could you send me the Afrika Mp3 as well?

Thanks in advance!

Nemesis

Thanks in advance!

Nemesis

Isn't it the City of Prague version? If it's another recording, please could you also send it to me?

Thanks!

Thanks in advance!

Nemesis

Isn't it the City of Prague version? If it's another recording, please could you also send it to me?

Thanks!

Yes, it is the City of Prague recording.

I'm just dropping in to say I have no signature edition scores.

I only have some book callled "Music from the Star Wars Trilogy" I got as a souvenir without any purpose

• 1 month later...
I have received the Mission Theme. Jaws won't be available until April.

Jaws has been delayed even further. Yesterday I received a direct phone call from Luck's Music Library telling me that it has been pushed back to July. Damn...

I have received the Mission Theme. Jaws won't be available until April.

Jaws has been delayed even further. Yesterday I received a direct phone call from Luck's Music Library telling me that it has been pushed back to July. Damn...

Arrrgggh.......

Well i just looked and the Halleonard site has been updated for the first time in like million years.......and JAWS is not listed hmmm....

Well i just looked and the Halleonard site has been updated for the first time in like million years.......and JAWS is not listed hmmm....

I don't go by the HL website, they never update it enough. I had Sayuri's Theme, E.T. Flying Theme, and NBC News Theme quite a while before the HL site was updated (which apparently was just this weekend, because they weren't listed when I checked just the other day).

I have:

Star Wars

Phantom Menace

Hogwarts Forever

Happy Birthday Variations

Adventures on Earth (which I had John sign at Tanglewood in 2001)

Call of the Champions

Cowboys

I love them to death, and they ARE NOT arrangements... They are the exact concert works that John writes for professional orchestras, as opposed to the other series in the Hal Leonard catalog that always seem to fall short.

-J.J.

How closely does the Catch Me If You Can SE match the album? I'm thinking of getting a copy of that score and am wondering how it compares to the soundtrack CD.

I think this is addressed earlier in the thread. The score has more sax solos and such than the album version...

How about this one, in the JFK one where does the where in the Motorcade does the SE version begin? I can only find myself in it a few measures before the main theme begins in the horns.

• 5 months later...

I'm starting to buy them now... I just got the star wars suite a couple of days ago. Now I'm just about to order PoA from sheetmusicplus and I have a question for someone who already owns this score..

In the webpage the list of pieces that the score includes is:

A Bridge To The Past

Aunt Marge's Waltz

Double Trouble

The Knight Bus

Witches, Wands And Wizards

the first one.. A bridge to the past... is this just a typo and this is actually a window to the past? hehe

the second question, is there a lot of difference between window to the past in the score and in the album?

Are there any news about when the Jaws suite and sound the bells will be released?

I haven't heard anything lately regarding Jaws or Sound the Bells. I know Sound the Bells was expected to released sometime in 2008, but Jaws is still overdue. Luck's Music Library is usually one of the first music dealers to have these scores in stock, and they didn't have a definite time frame yet when I last emailed them not too long ago.

the first one.. A bridge to the past... is this just a typo and this is actually a window to the past? hehe

the second question, is there a lot of difference between window to the past in the score and in the album?

"A Bridge to the Past" is a great, expanded arrangement of "A Window to the Past." The only studio recording of it so far is on Prague's album for Borders bookstores. It foregoes the recorder solo from the album version (an oboe opens with the theme), and features more development of the theme. And the horn rendition of Hedwig's Theme is included still. Definitely a nice presentation of the theme!

Ray Barnsbury

I'm starting to buy them now... I just got the star wars suite a couple of days ago. Now I'm just about to order PoA from sheetmusicplus and I have a question for someone who already owns this score..

In the webpage the list of pieces that the score includes is:

A Bridge To The Past

Aunt Marge's Waltz

Double Trouble

The Knight Bus

Witches, Wands And Wizards

That's not a typo. That is the offical title of the concert version of the WTTP theme. It contains extended sections not found on the soundtrack, including a nice string interlude. Also, after the section that contains the Hedwig's Theme cameo, it cuts to the music that accompanied the scene where Sirius says goodbye to Harry, concluding with a quiet oboe solo. If you can get a copy of it, you should buy the 2-Disc "Music from the Harry Potter Films" compilation by the City of Prague Orchestra. It contains recordings of these concert versions.

Sorry if this has already been mentioned earlier in this topic, but what excactly is a signature edition?

Someone else can probably explain it better than me, but Signature Editions are arrangements for professional orchestras of various John Williams pieces. I guess the "Signature" comes from the fact that most (all?) feature a little foreword and signature by Williams. You can see all the different ones here.

Ray Barnsbury

the first one.. A bridge to the past... is this just a typo and this is actually a window to the past? hehe the second question, is there a lot of difference between window to the past in the score and in the album?
"A Bridge to the Past" is a great, expanded arrangement of "A Window to the Past." The only studio recording of it so far is on Prague's album for Borders bookstores. It foregoes the recorder solo from the album version (an oboe opens with the theme), and features more development of the theme. And the horn rendition of Hedwig's Theme is included still. Definitely a nice presentation of the theme!Ray Barnsbury
Awesomness! thanks a lot!
Sorry if this has already been mentioned earlier in this topic, but what excactly is a signature edition?
Someone else can probably explain it better than me, but Signature Editions are arrangements for professional orchestras of various John Williams pieces. I guess the "Signature" comes from the fact that most (all?) feature a little foreword and signature by Williams. You can see all the different ones here.Ray Barnsbury
Is it true that Williams is also more involved in the preparation of this arrangments? contrary to many of those for other types of orchestra arranged by other people, right?

Someone else can probably explain it better than me, but Signature Editions are arrangements for professional orchestras of various John Williams pieces. I guess the "Signature" comes from the fact that most (all?) feature a little foreword and signature by Williams. You can see all the different ones here.

Ray Barnsbury

OKay, thanks. Does JW still arrange different Signature Pieces for songs that are already have a concert version, like the Tale of Viktor Navorski, or something? Also, are all of the versions availible, or are only some of them recorded?