Great Trailers

Justin

We all know there are some really great trailers out there. What are some of the best? Specifically, one with use Williams music wonderfully.

Two of the most spectacular trailers I've seen in a long time is 12 Monkeys. The choral swells at the end always leave goosebumps. Carlito's Way has an incredible trailer as well. One of the greatest trailers with Williams music I've ever seen. Almost the entire trailer is "scored" by Williams. Beautiful use of BOT4J. Stunning!

How about some others?

Justin

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The "Double Trouble" teaser for PoA was an excellent one . . . the new Superman teaser was also really good. The theatrical trailer for War of the Worlds was great, and I remember the TV spots for it showed progressively more stunning images as it neared release. "Ray B." and I were giddy when we saw several TV spots the night before the premier, it had some great ones (although one used some shit rock song).

Just for fun, because I love trailers, I've put some movies on the computer and used Adobe Premier to edit some trailers for them. It's so much fun, you can follow the usual formula, with the "exposition" at first and then the action montage at the end, or do whatever you want. And picking out appropriate music is soooo much fun. So far I've done Jurassic Park, Secret Window, Signs, The Matrix, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, The Village, and What Lies Beneath. In just a few minutes, actually, I'm going to put War of the Worlds on the computer, and start on that one. :)

~Sturgis

I agree-the Superman teaser was good. The first Munich trailer was very wrenching for me to watch. I also really liked the teaser for Revenge of the Sith. I am going to say something really stupid here, but I felt that the trailer for The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe was better than the final film. It conveyed everything I thought the movie fell short on-majesty, adventure and a heart. It had better music too, especially the pastoral oboe thing at the beginning and the more percussive music used in the body of the trailer.

I remember the trailer for Peter Pan instantly making me interested in the film. And yeah, the "Double Trouble" trailer for PoA was constantly playing on my computer after its release. It really irks me how trailers are giving away more and more of their movies' plots these days...ex, the What Lies Beneath trailer, which features Michelle Pfeiffer's line, "You had an affair with a girl who killed herself, and now she's come back to haunt you," or something to that revealing extent.

Ray Barnsbury

I think the first teaser trailer to Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone("There's no such thing as magic!") was the greatest.We first heard Hedwig's theme there,and it's the single best performance of it,a different arrangement with cool woodwind runs and an alternate section that's not on the OST.

K.M.

I agree, the combination of that and the voiceover (and the glimpses of the film) are great. I hope the film's as good. Perhaps it was because of all the hype, but I also really enjoyed the Return of the King trailer every time I saw it.

I agree, the combination of that and the voiceover (and the glimpses of the film) are great. I hope the film's as good. Perhaps it was because of all the hype, but I also really enjoyed the Return of the King trailer every time I saw it.

I know, I'm a bit worried about the film,

hope they do it justice

But the best things about that Superman Returns teaser are not from the new film.

The Double Trouble trailer was great, as were all of the LotR trailers. I also liked the special internet preview of the whole trilogy that was online way back in early 2001 or maybe even before that. It started with interviews and some behind-the-scenes looks in a small 4:3 frame in the center of your screen, and then you heard the Ring verse and the image widened to the 2.35:1 aspect ratio and you got to see some cool material from all three films, including some stuff that never made it to the trilogy (like some random walking shots, Massive test footage, and even Merry pledging allegiance to Théoden, which we didn't get to see until the RotK EE was finally released).

And of course there's this one. :)

I felt that the trailer for The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe was better than the final film. It conveyed everything I thought the movie fell short on-majesty, adventure and a heart. It had better music too.

I think the film had all of those things. Including great music.

~Sturgis

I think the film had all of those things. Including great music.

I liked the film. I will say that it was better than most of what is put on us today. It just didn't live up to my expectations. The score was ruined for me the moment I heard the percussion loops under that shot of the train at the beginning of the film. I hate to say it but I was hoping for a purely orchestral approach, much like Lord of the Rings, not a copy necessarily but just a similar approach to the score. But to each his own, right?

Seth

Right. :wave:

I think the selective use of synthesizers, etc. in the score add to the unique feel and are appropriate, but hey if it's not your cuppa tea . . . :)

~Sturgis

The Star Wars prequel trailers were always impressive, some might say even better than the films themselves. I also like "Double Trouble" for POA. Jaws has a creepy one, "it is as if God created the devil, and gave him... jaws" and "May be too intense for younger children".

Citizen Kane is an unusual one as it shows nothing from the film, only Orson Welles introducing the cast with some effective lighting and editing. The same goes for Psycho as it's just Alfred Hitchcock giving a funny tour of the Bates house and motel. Speaking of Psycho, the trailer for the remake was one of the spookiest and schizophrenic I've ever seen.

Lilo and Stitch teasers-- "Hey! Get your own movie!"

Unexpected (the first time, naturally), originally, funny.

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Original; a funny deconstruction of trailers. When you see it, the idea seems hyper-obviously natural (the guide's entry for trailers)-- but you had to think of it.

I remember these because I saw the former recently, and the latter recently enough to remember. there must be others, but I can't think of any right now.

The problem is that most trailers are really summaries of the movies, with the whole plot, all the twists, the best jokes, the most impressiveaction pieces, the most moving moments, the sexiest scenes, even more than glimpses of the finale.

I hate that. I prefer to avoid them.

What's the point of seeing, and above all, the pleasure of discovering, the movie after such things?

Apparently, modern moviegoers are considered so dumb (and many probably are) the studios think they need to have a digest of the movie prior to seeing it, to make sure they understand it-- "1h30 is too long for their puny brains, just MTV-edit the movie down to a one-minute clip that tells the whole story-- and be sure to use that hip noise they like to listen to; actual music would be too hard for them, and you can't risk overloading them with two kinds of new sensorial information".

It's not that new a trend, but it's been getting worse.

8O

obasicinstinct001.gif

The trailer for Dreamcatcher was extremely effective, raising the movie to levels of expectations that just never paid off, because the film sucked.

The recent trailer for the remake of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre was pretty creepy. Again, really undeserving once I actually caught the movie on DVD.

Tim

I LOVED the first trailer (not the teaser nor the expanded second trailer) for Star Trek First Contact.

Also some trailers for Pixar-films were really well done. Almost a small movie in itself.

One of my favorites is the trailer from Jerry Seinfeld's Comedian

http://www.apple.com/trailers/miramax/comedian.html

Yup, one of the greatest.

I personaly also love the Double Trouble trailer. Really, really got me psyched about the film.

Nixon's trailer is excellent, due mostly to the music.