What "other" music do you listen to?

SturgisPodmore

Perhaps this has been asked before. I was wondering, I know we all listen to film music (at least I think so :)), but what, if any, other kinds of music/artists/albums/songs do you enjoy? Two of my favorite bands are Green Day and Phantom Planet, and also some selections by Maroon 5, The Killers, Blink 182, and many various others (I'm probably making some of you throw up, but that's the truth).

If I like a song, I . . . acquire . . . it (:sigh:) and put it on the good ol' iPod, or, as I affectionetly call mine, the Pizz (iPod --> iPizz --> Pizz). Anyways, basically if I like a song, I might just get that one or buy the album after finding out a bit about it, so I have many single songs by various artists. I steer clear of rap and country for sure, gear more towards the pop/rock genre (real "pop," not like Britney Spears-type nastiness, although I won't say I don't have a few guilty pleasures). I also like some "older" music like The Beatles. How about you guys?

~Sturgis

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like "alternative rock," I guess I might be called. Blink 182, Phantom Planet, Sum 41, Green Day, etc....music that's more than just ear-piercing screaming and yelling, and actually has some emotion behind it. And I avoid rap like the plague (you can't spell crap without rap). I love The Beatles, and I definitely have some guilty pleasures from my younger days when shallow pop was all the rage.

Ray Barnsbury

Three of my favorite bands: Stone Temple Pilots, REM, Foo Fighters.

I fully believe STP is one of the greatest rock bands of all time. 5 albums, all 5 different in style. A lot of their music fell out of the mainstream and hence have not received the recognition they should. Weiland's drug problems haven't helped much either. The Deleo brothers are the real genious behind STP. Hopefully one day they will reunite.

Rant over.

there's other kinds of music?

K.M.

I think there might be. :)

I listen to a variety of "other" styles of music, but there are none I listen to as consistently as film music (I'm not a "fan", so to speak, of any particular artists/genres).

I need to get some more Beatles stuff. My dad's considerable Beatles collection has become useless ever since we can't play vinyl anymore.

I'm also into Pink Floyd. I love The Wall.

I listen to jazz. Miles Davis, Coltrane, Finnish jazz etc.

I also like many bands but do not have their albums since mostly I think there are only few good songs on them and I prefer to spend my money on soundtracks :)

I listen to music by other composers ;)

By other film composers? Or just by other composers?

I listen to so many other types of music. You name it. Classical,Pop,Rock,Heavy Rock,Pop,Blues,Jazz,Son Cubano,Mambo,Salsa,World Music from all over,70's and 80's synth,Instrumental,Early Music,Country,Celtic,Trance,Techno,the list goes on and on. I just love music, totally. No matter what it is, i can usually find something wonderful in all kinds of music. I don't think there is one type of music that i cannot find something interesting within. And yes, that has even be known to extend to Rap on some occasions. Anything, apart from that Film Music nonsense. Grates on me, that stuff.

I like almost every kind of music. From punk to rap, from rock like to metal. I like fast weird stuff like bluegrass, those banjo lines played at insane speed are crazy. Accidently it happens to like some catchy pop song on MTV, but I try to avoid that as much as possible. Only thing I really hate is techno, dance, trance and all that crap produced with computer softwares, althought that's not even music. Music is played by musical instruments, and there's no instruments in techno, so it's not even music. :wave:

Being on a uni network where very little film scores are available, I was forced to explore my non film music side last term, and my 'Other' folder has expanded from about 10 songs to nearly 400.

As a result I've got into Alanis Morissette, Michael Jackson (don't start), Coldplay, a load of songs associated with or featured in various movies, and some late 80's/early 90's stuff - a bit of nostalgia.

You got into Michael Jackson? I always thought it was the contrary... 8O

OK sorry. :) Coldplay are pretty good, but waaay to sad for my tastes. It's kinda depressing to listen to them. I always need some happy song after them.

Mirko - who had his "TJ's Poll #3" about this same subject.

Oasis used to wrote fine songs years ago. Shame is those two brothers are the most ignorant musicians ever. Can't stand them. They hate everyone and they claim themselves to be perfect... :roll:

"Whatever" is wonderful IMO. "Wonderwall" is good too.

Have you heard Thunderstruck? Just about the most orgasmic piece of non-film music you could ever hope to hear. :angry:

THUNDER!

I was caught

In the middle of the railroad track (Thunder)

I looked round

And I knew there was no turning back (Thunder)

My mind raced

And I thought what could I do (Thunder)

And I knew

There was no help

no help from you (Thunder)

Sound of the drums

Beatin' in my heart

The thunder of guns (yea!)

Tore me apart

You've been - thunderstruck

Rode down the highway

Broke the limit, we hit the town

Went through to Texas, yeah Texas

And we had some fun

We met some girls

Some dancers who gave a good time

Broke all the rules, played all the fools

Yeah, yeah, They, they, they blew our minds!

I was shakin' at the knees

Could I come again please?

Yeah the ladies were too kind

You've been - thunderstruck, thunderstruck

Yeah yeah yeah, thunderstruck

Oh, thunderstruck, yeah

I was shaking at the knees

Could I come again please?

Thunderstruck, thunderstruck

Yeah yeah yeah, thunderstruck

Thunderstruck, yeah, yeah, yeah

Said yeah, it's alright

We're doing fine

Yeah, it's alright

We're doing fine,fine,fine

Thunderstruck, yeah, yeah, yeah,

Thunderstruck, thunderstruck, thunderstruck

Whoa baby, baby, thunderstruck

You've been thunderstruck, thunderstruck

Thunderstruck, thunderstruck,

You've been thunderstruck

Justin

I prefer this one:

He always runs while others walk.

He acts while other men just talk.

He looks at this world and wants it all.

So he strikes like Thunderball.

He knows the meaning of success.

His needs are more so he gives less.

They call him the winner who takes all.

And he strikes like Thunderball.

Any woman he wants he'll get.

He will break any heart without regret.

His days of asking are all gone.

His fight goes on and on and on.

But he thinks that the fight is worth it all.

So he strikes like Thunderball...

You're comparing Tom Jones....with AC-DC?

I mean let's compare the two

Tom Jones: Old man who sang in The Emperor's New Groove.

Brian Johnson (AC-DC lead singer): Bit the head off a live bat on stage.

Justin - Who can't put it any clearer. :angry:

Classical - Mozart, Beethoven, Mendelssohn, Verdi, etc...

Opera - Wagner, mostly.

World - Celtic and Ancient Greek

"Rock" - Flogging Molly

"Rock" - Flogging Molly

:thumbup: They're great! I wouldn't call that "Rock", though. It's more likely "folk-punk", althought I dislike that definition. Be sure to check out Dropkick Murphys too. Ahh, those Irish drinkin' songs... beerchug

My favorite song is "Drunken Lullabies" (wonderful banjo intro).

Definitely a great find.

I quite appreciate They Might Be Giants. REM is my favorite rock band. Then there's The Beatles, The Kinks... you know the kind. Musicals, too (long live Stephen Sondheim), that's what I play the most. And a sample of just aboute every genre you can imagine.

Some of my other tastes include:

The Police

Metallica

Van Halen (with Sammy as lead singer)

Def Leppard

AC/DC

Madonna (before 2000)

Duran Duran

Chicago

The Commodores

Aerosmith

Chic

Kool And The Gang

Earth Wind And Fire

Phil Collins

Toto

Tom Petty

Dream Theater

Pain of Salvation

Yes

Emerson, Lake and Palmer

Chicago

Boston

Procol Harum

Pink Floyd

Symphony X

Toad the Wet Sprocket

Glen Phillips (solo stuff)

Moody Blues (mainly their 'core 7')

Porcupine Tree

Jimmy Eat World

Coldplay

The Beatles

Engine Down

Godspeed You! Black Emperor

Rush

Incubus

Marillion

Simon and Garfunkel

Soundgarden

Tool

Pixies

There are a ton of others, but this is off of the top of my head.

Tim

Destiny's Child

Beyonce

50 Cent

Tweet

The Faint

Postal Service

Gorillaz

Black Eyed Peas

Jason Mraz

The Mars Volta

Sam Cooke

Bob Marley

In terms of genre, anything and everything under the sun. I love all types of music.

Have you heard Thunderstruck? Just about the most orgasmic piece of non-film music you could ever hope to hear. 8O Justin

Exactly. Rock n' Roll ain't noise pollution ;)

World - Celtic and Ancient Greek

That Ancient Greek music is actually impossible to reconstruct with accuracy so it must only a very hypothetical interpretation of what the musicians think Ancient Greek music must have sounded like since there is little or no evidence of their music left as there is of Roman music (notation etc.).

This CD proves you wrong!

gladiatorbig.jpg

8O

Oh Zimmer has a far greater power on his side than Classical philologists and archeologists could ever hope to have. He has the SYNTH. He probably dialed Ancient Roman music in to the Great Machine's music generator and Gladiator popped out few minutes later. The SYNTH got probably confused with Mars Bringer of War by Holst and the actual Roman god and there you have it. ;)