Original Score

John Williams, Munich

John Williams, Memoirs of a Geisha

Patrick Doyle, Goblet of Fire

Jim Papoulis, Good Night, and Good Luck

Thomas Newman, Cinderella Man

John Williams, War of the Worlds

Interesting, isn't it?

What do you think should be there and what's there that shoudn't be?

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is my list of all reasonably good scores released this year and whether I think they would deserve an Oscar(nomination):

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Witch, The Lion and The Wardrobe

Harry Gregson-Williams

I reckon this one would be good for a nomination. Not realy the best of the year, but certainly very good.

Sahara

Clint Mansell

Fun, but far from Oscar-worthy.

Kingdom of Heaven

Harry Gregson-Williams

Deserves an Oscar, or at least a nomination. No doubt about that.

The Legend of Zorro

James Horner

It's OK and has some nice parts, but far from Oscar-worthy. Very far from.

King Kong

James Newton Howard

Not sure; It might be. I don't think it'll win after the Howard Shore-debacles.

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Patrick Doyle

John Williams' Harry Potter work deserved an Oscar for at least the first and third films. GoF does, in my opinion, not merit an Oscar at all. Patrick Doyle seems to have done his best, but I found the music sincerely lacking. It's good and functional, but not excellent. I really hope this one won't even get a nomination.

Zathura

John Debney

It's good, but not excellent either. Not Oscar-worthy.

Memoirs of a Geisha

John Williams

Absolutely Oscar-worthy.

Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith

John Williams

Oscar-worthy, of course! Heck; What else would you think?

War of the Worlds

John Williams

Not sure about this one. It's John Williams and it's good. But compared with the others, I think this one might be less Oscar-worthy.

Munich

John Williams

I don't know yet, but I can't imagine it not being Oscar-Worthy.

List of scores that are likely to get a nomination (in the order that I consider them Oscar-worthy):

1) Memoirs of a Geisha

1) Kingdom of Heaven

1) Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (Wouldn't surprise me if it doesn't get a nomination, but it does deserve one!)

2) The Chronicles of Narnia: The Witch, The Lion and The Wardrobe

2/3) War of the Worlds (Probably not)

2/3) King Kong (Possibly)

- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Probably, but I hope not)

- Munich (I know hardly anything about it yet)

As Merkel stated in the BFCA thread, John was nominated, along with:

Best Soundtrack

Elizabethtown

Memoirs of a Geisha

The Producers: The Movie Musical

Rent

Walk The Line

Best Composer

James Horner - The New World

Gustavo Santaolalla - Brokeback Mountain

John Williams - Memoirs of a Geisha

Nancy Wilson - Elizabethtown

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Patrick Doyle

John Williams' Harry Potter work deserved an Oscar for at least the first and third films. GoF does, in my opinion, not merit an Oscar at all. Patrick Doyle seems to have done his best, but I found the music sincerely lacking. It's good and functional, but not excellent. I really hope this one won't even get a nomination.

JW should have won for PoA but I think FOTR beat SS and AI deservedly (either 3 could have won and it still would have been acceptable). To be fair, Doyle's work deserves a nomination, no more, no less. It be such a blow if GoF wins.

Unfortunately, it is unlikely ROTS will get nominated, due to the Academy's chameleon-like (and rather stupid) "previous themes" criterion. Despite it being a fine score, it will not be Williams' Oscar winner this year (he will get nominated for other things though, guarenteed).

Well, it may not matter much to the Oscars, and it may not get Williams an actual physical award, but at least he already has one award for Geisha.

IGN voted it best score of 2005.

John Williams is still rockin' after all of these years.

:P

Kingdom of Heaven

Harry Gregson-Williams

Deserves an Oscar, or at least a nomination. No doubt about that.

Note to the Academy. A posthumous award to Mr Goldsmith would be very much appreciated.

Would people please spell H E R R M A N N correctly. The man deserves some respect....from some quarters.

Would people please spell  H E R R M A N N  correctly.  The man deserves some respect....from some quarters.

Bbeerrnnaarrdd Hheerrrrmmaannnn? :P

Justin

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like williams is the leading contender for best score. See oscarwatch.com. It seems geisha is expected to win:). oscar number 6.

Any of his scores this year are oscar-worthy IMO. I don't think it makes much difference that ROTS isn't elligible - he'll probably win it on one of the others.

The 6th Oscar for Williams is long overdue IMO. I am glad Williams is the strongest contender for the Best Score Oscar. But wait and see.

the bad reviews of Geisha

Film or score?

- Rob, who loves the score but hasn't seen the film yet

Film

I haven't seen it either (though I've seen the first TV ad here today; don't know if it included music by Williams since the TV was on mute mode)

Tough choice: Memoirs or Munich? I love both scores. As a listening experience Memoirs is better but Munich has even more touching themes. If the success of the movie itself is an indicator the scales tip toward Munich. Or do they? I have not been following the reviews of the movie. How is the latest Spielberg movie received by the critics?

John Williams has never won a Best Score Oscar for a film that wasn't both a critical and financial succes.

Jaws, Star Wars and E.T. were the record breaking block busters of their day. Schindlers List recieved nothing but praise from critics and was a unusual financial success for a movie with such heavy subject matter.

Memoirs has gotten pretty average reviews and isn't a big hit with the audience by any means.

It's score will join the ranks of other soundtracks that just didn't have the right film, like Stepmom, Seven years In Tibet and Sleepers.

It appears that Williams got a lot of praise from his peers for his 2005 scores. Film Score Monthly website cites the Hollywood Reporter Film & TV Music Special Issue on which some composers mention their favourite scores of 2005:

A lengthy piece on the major scores of the season includes the composers' own choices for the memorable scores of the year (though a couple mention scores from 2004). The composers listed and their recommendations include John Debney (Revenge of the Sith), Alexandre Desplat (War of the Worlds), Danny Elfman (War of the Worlds, Constant Gardener, Capote), Harry Gregson-Williams (Cinderella Man), Deborah Lurie (Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Corpse Bride), Dario Marianelli (Batman Begins), Michael Nyman (Charlie and the Chocolate Factory), Rachel Portman (Motorcycle Diaries), John Powell (Birth), Howard Shore (Crash, War of the Worlds, Revenge of the Sith), Alex Wurman (Memoirs of a Geisha), and Hans Zimmer (Constant Gardener, Crash).

It seems that WOTW is a big favourite, maybe it will get nominated in the end too.

John Williams has never won a Best Score Oscar for a film that wasn't both a critical and financial succes.

Jaws, Star Wars and E.T. were the record breaking block busters of their day. Schindlers List recieved nothing but praise from critics and was a unusual financial success for a movie with such heavy subject matter.

Memoirs has gotten pretty average reviews and isn't a big hit with the audience by any means.

It's score will join the ranks of other soundtracks that just didn't have the right film, like Stepmom, Seven years In Tibet and Sleepers.

I was talking about Munich there... What do you think the chances of that winning an oscar are?

My predictions for the oscar race:

Star Wars - Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (John Williams)

War of The Worlds (John Williams)

Memoirs of A Geisha (John Williams)

Munich (John Williams)

The Island (Steve Jablonsky)

Special New Category - Worst Original Score.

And the Nominee's......

Harry Potter and The Goblet of Fire (Patrick Doyle)

Justin - :roll:

Munich has gotten some very good reviews, but it's also a very controversial film.

Some people have already gone as far as labeling it an anti-Israel film. (because it's a Spielberg film it's next to impossible to label it anti-semetic)

Many voters in the Academy might think discretion is the better part of valor and vote some other score.

Also the fact that Williams will probably have more then 1 score in the running might work against him (and no I haven't forgotten 1977)

but i think if williams got it for memoirs, he'll be really happy. he did say he liked working on memoirs and really wanted to do that movie. so if u think about it like that, he put the most effort into that score and so if he wins, mhm.

but the most important part is IF williams wins, most of the people on this fanboard will get to hear his acceptance speech live for the first time! (i'm assuming most people here were too young when schindler's list came out:p to care about hearing best original score.)

I'm telling you,the gay cowboy movie Brokeback Mountain is getting the Oscar for best score,even if it's a 10 minute crappy guitar score looped 15 times in the movie... Hollywood will go for that this year to make a kind of socio-political statement about the acceptance of gay themed movies.

K.M.

I'm telling you,the gay cowboy movie Brokeback Mountain is getting the Oscar for best score,even if it's a 10 minute crappy guitar score looped 15 times in the movie... Hollywood will go for that this year to make a kind of socio-political statement about the acceptance of gay themed movies.

K.M.

Agreed. But if anything i hope that these are nominated:

Memoirs of a Geisha (John Williams)

War of the Worlds (John Williams)

King Kong (James Newton Howard)

Cinderella Man (Thomas Newman)

And furthermore,Williams will at least get nominations for 2 scores,so he'll cancell himself out in the votes as usual.

K.M.Who won't make the mistake of beeing too hopefull like last year

And furthermore,Williams will at least get nominations for 2 scores,so he'll cancell himself out in the votes as usual.

K.M.Who won't make the mistake of beeing too hopefull like last year

Last year, POA really did outshine every other score nominated by light years.

As for the Oscars, if they're going to play the crybaby game and not offend anyone by not giving the award to a score for a controversial film, but give it to the score to some boring Heath Ledger romance flick, then why bother with them?

I'll be just as happy if Williams wins a Golden Globe.

Well, last year's Oscar for best film,director and actress was really a socio-political vote for assisted suicide and popular old actors..And the year Denzel and Halle Berry won ,that was really a calculated nod of recognition for african american actors,and so on...

k.M.Who thought Million Dollar Baby was boring as hell and over the top.

My ideal nominees would include:

King Kong (JNH) - my favourite score of the year, no doubt)

Cinderella Man (Tom Newman - not exactly a great score but he's still overdue for an oscar)

Munich or Geisha, don't care which.

Scores that'd better not be nominated:

Goblet of Fire (I like the score, but Doyle winning where JW failed would be an insult)

Brokeback Mountain - need I say anything, heads will roll..

Geisha was Williams most effective score in the context of the movie this year and flowed perfecty with the film.During and after the film I was like WOW! RotS is better,but you can't hear most of it.The main musical highlight in Munich plays over a bizzare scene that I still don't really get the point of.And War of the World can't really distingish itself from other action scores.

Also I feel that Memoirs of a Geisha is a film Oscar voters will feel compelled to give something to.It won't win the major awards but it will surely win a few design awards,and maybe music.

K.M.

But it's John Williams.

Past few years I've felt the Academy has just been giving him nominations to try and keep the shred of credibility they have left. They're not giving him any more. He already has legendary status with the Oscars, and there seems to be a feeling that he "doesn't need any more". He'll get nominated for sure, but he won't win. As usual. :wave:

Williams gets nominated because he gets nominated by his peers.When it comes down to vote for the winner all the members vote.You can be sure the likes of Susan Sarandon won't vote for him and vote for whatever activist cause they feel they should support in a given year.

k.m.

King mark is so right on the freakin money, it hurts.

Williams will never win another Oscar, Let the dream die....

Last year, POA really did outshine every other score nominated by light years.

The Village is an equally amazing score, and much more consistent than PoA. Sure, I would've loved to see Williams win, but objectively, The Village would have been just as good a choice. Unfortunately, fluff conquered all. :wave:

This year, I'd rather Munich be nominated/win than Geisha. But I really don't have high hopes for Oscar #6 anytime soon.

Ray Barnsbury

What exactly are the rules for the Oscars right now? The original themes percentage is still on? Cause I see no reason to make RotS not eligible when not even the main theme on RotK was original.

And what about the score/songs percentage? Cause Shore's The Aviator had about the same length and percentage as Santaolaya's Gay Mountain and they talk about it as elegible.

Do they change the rules every year so that they put out of the competition the ones they don't want to be there? Because that would be even inmmoral.