The OFFICIAL 2005 Best Score Oscar thread

tony69

Of course I hope he'll win, but you have to look at it this way.

How many other film composers active today (other than JW) has won even two Oscars? Not that many. And JW has already five!!!! So what does this tell us . . .

On the other hand, since the seventies, JW has won at least one Oscar every dacade. 70'S -- Jaws and Star Wars, 80'S -- E.T., 90's -- Schindler's List. So, considering that he's nominated like friggin EVERY YEAR, it's high time that he won for the new millenium!!!!

I think he WILL win this year. He deserves it . . . but need I remind you???

;)

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my books Menken has won way too many Oscars. Someone more deserving should have won those years he go the statuette. But not many composer's have won two or more Oscars these last few years. Horner and Shore come to mind. Both for best song and best score. Of course Horner has only one best score Oscar. :wave:

I just realized...

If he gets nommed for both Munich and Geisha...John Williams will tie Alfred Newman for 45 Oscar nominations.  :wave:

And considering Newman got many studio scores credit being the president, Williams clearly wins :)

Alfred Newman has 9.

1938 (Scoring) Alexander's Ragtime Band -- Alfred Newman

1940 (Scoring) -- Tin Pan Alley - Alfred Newman

1943 (Music Score of a Dramatic or Comedy Picture) -- The Song of Bernadette

1947 (Scoring of a Musical Picture) -- Mother Wore Tights

1952 (Scoring of a Musical Picture) -- With a Song in My Heart

1953 (Scoring of a Musical Picture) -- Call Me Madam

1955 (Music Score of a Dramatic or Comedy Picture) -- Love Is a Many-Splendored Thing

1956 (Scoring of a Musical Picture) -- The King and I [Alfred Newman, Ken Darby]

1967 (Scoring of Music--adaptation or treatment) -- Camelot [Alfred Newman, Ken Darby}

Hopefully the Golden Globe will be a sign of things to come.

I know Luke, I was talking about awards he actually won because someone else earlier had wondered if anyone had more than 5 wins.

I agree. On Her Majesty's Secret Service and You Only Live Twice are definitely oscar-worthy. The former for both song (We Have All The Time In The World) and score. Mind you, I don't know what they were up against.

Dances With Wolves won but it's a shame none of the Bond scores received a best score Oscar.

There's full of Bond reference in Barry's score for Dances with Wolves :wave:

Sometimes when I listen to it I'm lost and I go "Oh this is where the Space Shuttle goes into space!" and then I check the tracklist and say "Oh oops that's when Dunbar walks in the plains" LOL

Some the most glaring ones are Silvestri who should have won for Forrest Gump and Elfman who wasn't even nominated for Batman, he at least deserved that much.

Not too sure about Newman or JNH as far as Oscars go.

I hope he wins best song for Corpse Bride, but I doubt he will. I agree that Batman should have been nominated. Same for Edward Scissorhands.

Which song was shortlisted?

Who cares about Elfman?

Poledouris has only recieved 1 single Oscar nomination thoughout his career.

I don't remember hearing his name on an Oscar telecast. Which film got him the nomination?

noooo someone changed the name of the post! it was supposed to be oscar no. 6 which clearly showed the excitement we are to feel. it encapsulated in 3 words the :) feeling. the new name is lame. what sort of name is OFFICIAL 2005 Best Score Oscar Thread? ;) let's have a poll to get rid of the name :P . jks.

but onto a more serious note, munich is probably off the oscar list. nothing of munich was on golden globes except for like best picture. spielberg was dumb. wait a month, then go join next year's oscar race. he probably would have a much better movie and won too. not that munich was bad, it wasn't. it was a bit rushed however.

Danny Elfman, Thomas Newman, James Newton Howard, Alan Silvestri . . . none of them has even ONE Oscar . . .

That's a damn shame, they all deserve it (I don't know much of Newman's work). JNH and Elfman are probably my two favorite composers after Williams, and I like Silvestri a lot too. He hasn't been very active scoring things recently, has he?

~Sturgis

IMDB doesn't list Poledouris as a nominee for Conan. At least not now. BUt there is no doubt in my mind that it was more than worthy of a nomination. It could've been a deserving winner, if it wasn't the year of E.T, which is as perfect as scores get.

I am an Elder Veteran,which grants me the power to proclaim anything.From this thread I have studied your posting pattern,and now know the secret to your 14000 post count.

K.M.

Also,my archivial records say you have joined the Message Boards in the Boardhost days in 2000,which does not grant you the ranking of Elder Master,but only Master.*I* will be the first,and only, Elder Master.

K.M.

• 1 month later...

does anyone else think that on your scale of jw that memoirs should not win? like with ET, the score was absolutely stunning, especially the last 15 minutes. STar Wars, yup. schindlers, definately. jaws maybe. but with memoirs, i cannot think of the whole score shining. the only moments for me are confluence and the chairman's thing. sayuri's theme is beautiful but not memorable in the movie. so that's my shpeal. i personally dont think memoirs will be remembered in 30 years as a really good score. but it IS the best score this year (arguably. i like rots very much too, especially the direction jw took with it). the other scores were crap.

I think out of the five nominated scores, I think Memoirs is definitely the best. I hope it wins on that account. As for it being a great score, perhaps not, but I like it a great deal, and here's why:

It's one of the only scores he has composed that acts as a complete counterpoint to his typical bag of tricks. In essence, the score was very Japanese. What I mean is, Williams intentionally did not follow emotional development within the characters, or even story development. He wrote a very linear score, following alongside the movie at all times, almost parallel to it, instead of incorporating it into the movie as he always does. The music was almost cold for me, just as Japanese culture is to some degree. The Japanese do not concern themselves with emotion as many other cultures do, they are concerned with the elements such as fire, water, etc. And as Williams score aptly commented on these things, this is why I feel it is a very Japanese score (of course, mixed with a touch of Romanticism, but only in his orchestration).

Regarding the nominations again, I was stunned that James Newton Howard did not receive at least a nomination for King Kong. The guy wrote well over 3 hours of music in 7 weeks, some of it not used of course, but wow, that's staggering! And it was a very good score, I thought. And it was FAR superior to any of the non-Williams nominated crap that is on the ballot.

does anyone else think that on your scale of jw that memoirs should not win? like with ET, the score was absolutely stunning, especially the last 15 minutes. STar Wars, yup. schindlers, definately. jaws maybe. but with memoirs, i cannot think of the whole score shining. the only moments for me are confluence and the chairman's thing. sayuri's theme is beautiful but not memorable in the movie. so that's my shpeal. i personally dont think memoirs will be remembered in 30 years as a really good score. but it IS the best score this year (arguably. i like rots very much too, especially the direction jw took with it). the other scores were crap.

It's more a case of what it's up against this year rather than what won in the past.

I just listened to that radio talk the main page advertises, and in there they said that Gustavo Santa?????'s score is just 13 minutes long in the movie!

a) is that true?

B) if so, why the hell did it get a nomination? Aviator was disqualified because the score wasn't present enough in the film.

Well I wasn't at all impressed by The Aviator so I was glad it wasn't nominated.

But yeah, it's ridiculous...what on earth happened to the academy? Last year's noms were amazing (well apart from the winner) :)

The sequels rule also seems a little fuzzy. TTT was surely only left out because of confusion over elegibility - or were they just pretending so that some 'home movie' from a kiwi didn't get best score 3 times in a row?

Fellowship definitely deserved it though, the box set still blows me away :P