The OFFICIAL 2005 Best Score Oscar thread

tony69

I saw BBM yesterday. I hope I'm wrong, but the score is winning. It's really a shame, and I have facts here:

- It's really short (the 13 minutes thing is true)

- The main theme, which I would not consider even a theme, is played over and over again

- The variations in these loops are from few to non-existant, and that is specially irritating taking into account that the same arragements are used for the cowboys taking care of the herd and Michelle Williams realizing her husband is gay (sorry for the spoiler, but i think we all know the story). That is simply non acceptable and ridiculous.

Unluckily, the combination of notes I refuse to call a theme is somehow memorable. That, linked to a movie being expected to be the winner of the night will attract enough votes to throw Geisha away. I just hope I'm wrong.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nah. 3 reasons why williams will win.

1) it is the best score this year

2) williams campaign is working i think

3) williams is old and he's pretty likely gonna die in the next 10 years(he's 74 right?). very sad, but face the facts guys:(. i think this will be his sympathy award.

3) williams is old and he's pretty likely gonna die in the next 10 years(he's 74 right?).

probably a lot sooner.

Let's hope not. :cry: Though if he gets a lifetime achievement award, we all know what to expect.

but then again 2 reasons why williams could lose.

1) brokeback. it needs to make a statement. best way by oscar sweep.

2) williams is disliked in the industry. respected but disliked because of his awkward personality. so some people will vote for anything but williams, explaining why williams score lost to some trivial score in years past. like HPPOA to finding neverland. NOTE: this could be a bad generalization since i am basing this on a small sample of people i know who vote for the oscars.

Alex North is the only composer to receive a Lifetime Achievement award by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, which was in 1986. I think this "one recipient a year" stuff is ridiculous. They used to give these things out 3 or 4 at a time back in the 40s. That at least enabled many worthy individuals to receive the proper recognition for their contributions to the world of cinema. How many countless living legends go unnoticed? It's depressing. They should start handing out more, but I suppose they're afraid it will divide the attention. But you know what? It doesn't matter.

Tim

image002.gif

...like the time I caught the ferry over to Shelbyville. I needed a new heel for my shoe, so, I decided to go to Morganville, which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em. 'Give me five bees for a quarter,' you’d say. Now where were we? Oh yeah -- the important thing was that I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...

Dear God, I really did know that entire speech by heart. I used to recite it during boring maths classes along with the First Radio in Springfield ("..just Edison reciting the alphabet. 'A' he would say. Then 'B'. 'C' would usually follow...") and the interesting story about this quarter ("...so I set the toaster to threee, medium brown..."). I am nerd.

Before that, obviously. My point, it very rarely happens, even with scores that will remembered years from now like Our of Africa or Schindler's List.