Ravel in Film Music

TheRuleOfThirds

Today, I've heard two waltzes from mid-80s scores that have reminded me a lot of Ravel's work and I didn't know if these scores just had generic waltz music that everybody wrote a century prior to that or if it could directly be attributed to Ravel. For instance, there was a track on XM from The Adventures of Baron Munchausen by Michael Kamen that sounded like it was inspired by Ravel's "La Valse." Then just now, I was listening to "The Dress Waltz" by Jerry from Legend and I got the same feeling. Anybody else see it?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Today, I've heard two waltzes from mid-80s scores that have reminded me a lot of Ravel's work and I didn't know if these scores just had generic waltz music that everybody wrote a century prior to that or if it could directly be attributed to Ravel.  For instance, there was a track on XM from The Adventures of Baron Munchausen by Michael Kamen that sounded like it was inspired by Ravel's "La Valse."  Then just now, I was listening to "The Dress Waltz" by Jerry from Legend and I got the same feeling.  Anybody else see it?

Yes, me!

The Bolero sex scene in TEN is the only Ravel I remember in films.k.m.

Well, it was more of an anti-sex scene. Really unclimactic, if you know what I mean. Very funny movie nevertheless.

And Bolero is by far the most interesting piece Ravel ever penned. The rest of his stuff is drivel.

And Bolero is by far the most interesting piece Ravel ever penned. The rest of his stuff is drivel.

Every MTV kid would agree with you.

Who ever thought JWfan is a magnet for fans of Night Of The Proms?