Carmina Burana

John McClane

So, what's the best recording of this awesome composition?

I actually own 2 versions of it. Those are the only 2 I found here at my local store.

- James Levine (Chicago Symphony Chorus and Orchestra)

- Andrè Previn (London Symphony Orchestra, which is my favorite of these 2).

Am I missing a better version? I heard that the Previn-LSO version is one of the best...is that true?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember a freakin' excellent performance from 2001 with the Swedish Radio Symphony Orchestra, The Swedish Radio Choir, Eric Ericson's Chamber Choir under the lead of Manfred Honeck. I'm sorry to not have a recording of it, though... the producer never edited it, thus I can't get to it...

Thanks Marian, I must check it out. Deutsche Grammophon did never disappointed me! :(

Magnus, did you saw that performaance live? Does a CD of that exist?

I saw it live in the Berwaldhall in 2001, can't remember exact date though... sadly, CD doesn't exist, and the Swedish Radio doesn't have it in their archives either, because the producer never edited the existing material to a program.

There is a really good version that is done by the Philadelphia Orchestra. I do not have the cd with me at work, I will have to check when I get home and let you know the year, record company, etc.

I have to say the recording by Herbert Bloomsted and the San Fracisco Symphony & Chorus.

See here

Great recording.  Highly recommended.

Jamesyboy

Nice, I've met Herbert a couple of times... He does a very good Beethoven's 9!

Actually the best recording I know (by far!) is by the RSO Berlin Und Chor, conducted by Riccardo Chailly. It was recorded in 1983 and released by Decca. The sound quality is stunning and the performance, well, better than any other I've heard.

I like Blomstedt's Nielsen recordings (not that I have anything to compare them to). His Bruckner sucks though.

Marian - who knows many good conductors who are unable to conduct good Bruckner. :)