The Composer's Thread

Justin

25 minutes ago, Michael G. said:

Here's a short "Space Suite" I wrote for a friend's movie about some exoplanets.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QN0-nSa3CuTj7mZb1DuHbzSDUcEicCvJ/view?usp=drivesdk

Please criticize! 

Very well done! Sounds incredibly realistic if it isn't an orchestra performing it, and the wandering piano melody and ambient synths work really well at establishing that modern space atmosphere and sound. 

Really impressive work. The piano melody is absolutly beautiful, dreamy and wandering. I love the orchestral's burst around 38 seconds.

Thanks for sharing this beautiful piece

6 hours ago, Michael G. said:

Here's a short "Space Suite" I wrote for a friend's movie about some exoplanets.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QN0-nSa3CuTj7mZb1DuHbzSDUcEicCvJ/view?usp=drivesdk

Please criticize! 

I loved it!  I think this would work well as a "Space Suite"  Since you are inviting criticism, it is a bit notey.  I'd suggest this being a longer piece and half of it uses less notes.  Like maybe just harmony plus texture for one minute before you bring in the melody.  This is purely a stylistic comment though.  Overall, I really like what you did.  

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, D_nev said:

I haven’t posted on here since before I started my graduate school studies at Columbia College Chicago for Composition for the Screen so I thought I’d post a little cue that I did for a film we are rescoring in class! 

It’s a neo-noir historical drama set in WWII. It’s American Traitor: Trial of Axis Sally. The film is honestly dreadful but I feel like the canvas for music is pretty nice! I can’t share footage but basically the main character walks in the courtroom at the beginning of the cue and we were instructed to score her confidence and image of herself (which is a seductive confident woman). I tried my best to fit those parameters then the latter half of the cue underscores the introduction of the judge and the presentation of the charges levied against her! Hopefully this provides enough context!

Would love to hear any feedback! 

Samples used are all Cinematic Studio Series except the harp which is Orchestral Tools! programmed in Cubase 10.5 Pro

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h83uan0rhaat4jq/DN_AXS_MildredEnters(2m1)_v01.01_02004122_02122022_0000 2 MIX.wav?dl=0

Also wanted to share something a little darker from the same film. This Scene is a very explicit scene where Dr. Goebbles (the head Nazi propaganda person, don’t know the offices title sorry lol) is threatening the main character because she messed up a line in the script and at the end he assaults her basically. 

I will admit I feel like this one isn’t as well programmed but still open to feedback as well! All the material from this is derived from a short little theme I have for him which was a fun challenge. 

hope you all are doing well and staying healthy!

edit: I updated the first audio file, I accidentally uploaded an earlier version!

I like it!  Really good mockup too...warm and realistic.

11 hours ago, D_nev said:
11 hours ago, D_nev said:

Also wanted to share something a little darker from the same film. This Scene is a very explicit scene where Dr. Goebbles (the head Nazi propaganda person, don’t know the offices title sorry lol) is threatening the main character because she messed up a line in the script and at the end he assaults her basically. 

I will admit I feel like this one isn’t as well programmed but still open to feedback as well! All the material from this is derived from a short little theme I have for him which was a fun challenge. 

I didn’t add the link to the second cue 😅 my bad. Anyways here is that!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v2uvtozq2mm730s/DN_AXS_Invisible(3m21)_v01_03003408_02172022_0000 2 MIX.wav?dl=0

1 hour ago, karelm said:

I like it!  Really good mockup too...warm and realistic.

Thanks a lot! It means a lot from you 😁

13 hours ago, KK said:

Haven't shared here in some time! I've been part of a composers lab at the Canadian Film Centre for the last couple of months, and we got to do a small orchestral recording session (in COVID days no less!) with a 14-piece ensemble. Here's a fun little cue that came out of that:

Awesome stuff! Love that dissonant main motif that's developed through that piece. That orchestra that recorded that as well is impeccable! If they messed up at any point, I certainly couldn't tell.

11 hours ago, superultramegaa said:

Awesome stuff! Love that dissonant main motif that's developed through that piece. That orchestra that recorded that as well is impeccable! If they messed up at any point, I certainly couldn't tell.

Thank you! There was some occasionally shaky readings of some subtle but wonky polyrhythms, but for a short sight-reading session, I think they really did a great job. Very fine musicians indeed.

22 hours ago, KK said:

Really digging the harmony @D_nev!

Haven't shared here in some time! I've been part of a composers lab at the Canadian Film Centre for the last couple of months, and we got to do a small orchestral recording session (in COVID days no less!) with a 14-piece ensemble. Here's a fun little cue that came out of that:

Excellent job!  It reminds me a bit of Herrmann's twilight zone scores.  I really liked the bass line starting around 1:30.  

• 1 month later...

It's not the usual thing to share here, I guess, but I uploaded a bunch of electronic pieces (which dive into the harmonic and dissonant stuff more than music of that sort usually does) on YouTube:

Enjoy.

• 4 weeks later...

Been a while since I posted here, but I composed a new version of Michael McCuistion's old (and very underrated) theme from the first Sam Raimi Spider-Man game a while ago for a now defunct remaster of that game. I included a few more elements from Danny Elfman's music since the game was an adaptation of that film, but otherwise I tried to stay as faithful as possible to McCuistion's original. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TR3w2ild1Pkz_PGJmuQv0ms692WHF21n/view?usp=sharing

On the topic of superhero music, I also remastered an original Batman theme I composed a while back. I tried to create a mix between the Elfman/Shirley Walker style, and the darker, more brooding music of the Batman: Arkham scores. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZcPzz-YrI8ZqApAcPkBT-B1ulQhHzMxi/view?usp=sharing

• 2 weeks later...

Loved it! Some great selections, and I loved the transitions between each theme! Didn't expect that cover of the Force Awakens trailer music!

My only nitpicks are really personal preference. I missed the harp 16th notes around 3:50, as well as the choir in the "Battle of the Heroes" section, but considering this isn't a cover, it's not really a problem. I also wished Yoda's theme had more time to shine, but considering I still loved how you incorporated it's not a dealbreaker by any means. Incredibly impressive and inspiring work! 

13 hours ago, superultramegaa said:

Loved it! Some great selections, and I loved the transitions between each theme! Didn't expect that cover of the Force Awakens trailer music!

My only nitpicks are really personal preference. I missed the harp 16th notes around 3:50, as well as the choir in the "Battle of the Heroes" section, but considering this isn't a cover, it's not really a problem. I also wished Yoda's theme had more time to shine, but considering I still loved how you incorporated it's not a dealbreaker by any means. Incredibly impressive and inspiring work! 

Thanks!  Are the harps in here?  

Yeah, they are there, but unfortunately most versions have them sounding fairly muddy and practically inaudible. I first realized they were there because someone gave me a version where they increased the treble in an attempt to get a clearer sound with Return of the Jedi's score. The harps are very audible and start at 1:38 in this mix. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BkXJVDr1142VVrUfyyu6YgIa7ROkvYXz/view?usp=sharing

I'm pretty sure it is, yes. I don't listen to it anymore, as I realized in an effort to add clarity, he took out almost all of the bass, but I still have a soft spot for it because it allowed me to hear some of the smaller details like the harp sections.

Nowadays I usually listen to the "Revenge Restoration Edition" of Return of the Jedi that I found online, as it feels far more like a proper remaster while not having too much treble, being too muddy, or too compressed. 

Plot twist: I am Fishmanlee.

Yeah, I technically didn't take anything out, but raising the highs definitely reduced the bass, I have a version of ESB where I raised both the highs AND the lows.

7 hours ago, Counterparts said:

Plot twist: I am Fishmanlee.

Yeah, I technically didn't take anything out, but raising the highs definitely reduced the bass, I have a version of ESB where I raised both the highs AND the lows.

Oh, hey! Well there's one thing your restoration has over the "Revenge" edition, in that you actually included the Victory Celebration ending (which has always been my by far preferred version of the ending track and is still on my playlist because of it!)

As stated before your version definitely sounds better than all of the muddy recordings before, and your versions of "Funeral Pyre (Original)" and "Death of Yoda" are still on my playlists whenever I revisit Jedi's score. I'm glad to hear you improved things for ESB. Plus I've never done a restoration before so I can't really criticize you too much anyway lol. 

• 1 month later...

Alright everyone! Here's the Main Title cue for the series I mentioned. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QcVPHnCg9xas9LqHsai6l1JNjgicWQPR/view?usp=sharing

Hope you enjoy! It's very clearly not live unfortunately. Didn't have budget for that.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried to re-score the Star wars logo because I liked Ross' new melody so much. I don't think my attempt comes close to his, but that wasn't the goal.... I would like feedback from you guys on what else I should change (both from the sound and musical content). I'm still struggling with the first part, are the flutes somehow too "childish"?

11 minutes ago, Michael G. said:

I tried to re-score the Star wars logo because I liked Ross' new melody so much. I don't think my attempt comes close to his, but that wasn't the goal.... I would like feedback from you guys on what else I should change (both from the sound and musical content). I'm still struggling with the first part, are the flutes somehow too "childish"?

I like it but you could add a "middle layer" of ornaments or moving inner lines especially when the visuals are clear like around 0:15 and after.  Right now, you have melody and harmony but not so much a middle element of flourishes, swoops, ornaments, etc., which makes it feel a bit static.  Like in this, notice how many layers develop from a very simple opening in just 30 seconds:

You have the horn melody, the string arpeggios, the rising counter line in the low brass, harmony in choir, etc.  You might want to try adding more elements as yours develops like an inner mid voices "motor" for propulsion, a counter line, swoops and ornaments etc.  Don't overuse them but carefully add elements.  The opening flutes don't bother me, but I think it doesn't give a sense of mystery or wonder.  It's a bit too on the nose.

I had mentioned my first broadcast TV score a few weeks ago and I realized I never came back to share any more.

The first three episodes are out so I can share a few of the cues used in them.

Here's a playlist of about 14 cues!

Please note these are just pulled from the sessions and are not finished album masters (as there will be no album)

Hope you all enjoy it!

It's True Crime, so not exactly lush, orchestral work like most are doing in here, but it's music I composed. So...here it is! Lol.

I did try to incorporate a few thematic ideas. I believe in this playlist you can sample, of course, the main theme, but also a motif or riff (whatever you want to call it) for the mystery, a family theme, and an idea for the tragic moments.

EDIT: Updated with cues from Episodes 4 & 5

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Loert said:

Here's a piano arrangement I recently finished of Khachaturian's exuberant "Gopak" dance from his Gayaneh ballet. Enjoy!

Though I'm not familiar with the original, I found this was loads of fun!  Reminded me of Liszt's Hungarian Rhapsody.  Great job!

• 3 weeks later...

I tried composing ambient music and it was fun! I used the free LABS instruments from Spitfire and the East West Solo Cello. I am always amazed at how good the instruments from LABS are. This is a really important and free resource for any composer.

On 01/08/2022 at 5:33 PM, Michael Grigorowitsch said:

I tried composing ambient music and it was fun! I used the free LABS instruments from Spitfire and the East West Solo Cello. I am always amazed at how good the instruments from LABS are. This is a really important and free resource for any composer.

I liked it.  It reminded me of something that could be in Dune.

On 01/08/2022 at 7:33 PM, Michael Grigorowitsch said:

Lovely!

3 hours ago, Michael Grigorowitsch said:

Are some JWFANs planning to the Bridgerton Scoring Competition this year?

Probably not. Far too busy and not quite good enough to pull something like that off yet. Maybe next year!

23 hours ago, bored said:

Been having fun composing Raimi-style Spider-Man music over my favorite Spider-Man game lately:

Created a loop for the tutorial boss fight:

And made a full version for the end boss fight which I might turn into a synthesia video at some point:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hhcAqkBuDNAwrmaqKqEf1R-v-x86xWtw/view?usp=sharing

Also composed a web-swinging suite for the open world part with Elfman's theme: 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1N-uam3x38qn0mXE1LJHNSPWTV-rE_LyO/view?usp=sharing

As someone who worked on the Raimi Spiderman scores, you definitely should send this to Chris Young.  He'd love it!  You'd get extra points though if you demonstrated more of his scoring techniques.  The boss fight is only a minute long and he's great at extended action sequences if you can demo that.  Also, try to expand more on preexisting material rather than stating it.  For example, do that thing they do but longer.  Don't say what they say.  I hope that makes sense but it's an important distinction.  Great job though!