The Composer's Thread

Justin

The orchestral work is nice, but the vocals don't do much for me :)

I've started up my own Place at ACIDplanet too... so everyone go there and rate my music!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?AID=378116

way to ruin my ratings lol. jk. It's not me singing. I sing very in tune only I have to conduct, so that's why i didn't sing. The singer is an r'n'b singer who likes to sing flat, so singing this in tune was not his forte. the female is great tho. opera singer. fine vocalist. I thought i'd share it cuz it was live from a concert. (i don't record these things often)

• 1 month later...
Here is an "original" piece I did for the scene in Revenge of the Sith where Anakin storms the Jedi Temple. It pretty much syncs up with the film, though I should have matched the tempo with the march of the clones.

I just finished a short score (2,5min total) for an animated short film (about 7 minutes) I did with 2 other people for university (computer graphics). As I had very little time (two days) I did it quick'n'dirty, orchestrating it in Sibelius and recording the output through EWQL silver without much further tweaking.

"Atomic" Score:

M1 - Opening titles, and some idyllic landscape with a robot dog and a pig discovering a flower with a bee... then at the end pan to a lab in the background.

M2 - In the lab the pilot Joe prepares to mount his atom explorer ship

M3 - After having been shrunk, he looks around in awe at the "micro"space appearing around him.

M4 - He hits an atom and his ship gets out of control... some frantic flying, the quieter section in the middle scores the Doc int he lab concernedly trying to contact Joe. At the end Joe crashes into an atom.

M5 - After the nuclear explosion, the whole landscape is destroyed. The robot dog walks about, and after a time finds a new flower emerging from the scarred earth. Fade out. (This one was recorded live :P)

Wow, your composerarts website sounds like a cool idea, but it doesn't seem to load for me=/

Jack, I think that’s fantastic. I heard the beginning over at my board, now its great to hear the whole thing. Sounds like you might be using eastwest, but until I can listen at home, I can’t be sure.

Some of it seemed to be suspense music, like someone was going to perish. The tremelo held notes, and then the low string patterns were effective. The french horn articulation could have been better handled, but I liked what you wrote for them.

My main website has a new piece called “Death” which you can listen to there.

14-i-am-death.jpg

http://hopkins.composerarts.com/audiodownloads/Death.mp3

• 2 weeks later...

I finally have a recording of my piece for 3 childrens orchestras. It came out pretty well, considering that the players ranged from 11 to 17! Trouble is it's 20 minutes long and I don't know how to upload it for people to hear. If anyone is really interested send me a PM and I will mail you a CD of the piece.

James :)

Wow, your composerarts website sounds like a cool idea, but it doesn't seem to load for me=/

uh-oh, better get maaco

I'll call my server provider and find out what happened.

I wish I could compose all day. Anyone else feeling the day job frustration? Any benefactors out there?

How big is the file? If it's less than 500MB you should be able to upload it here.

I'm afraid I have no idea how to make it into a file... :oops: All I have is the original CD recording. I'm going to England on Monday and I may try to get my mate to save it as a file for me. I'm sure the file would only be about 20 meg or so, does that sound right for a 20-minute sound recording?

James :)

If anybody wants to check out a music clip of my music on the Overture 4 web page, they're using it to promote the upcoming release.

Having used it, I have to say, it is really wonderful to finally be able to program the playback of articulations of all notes. It makes a big difference in the speed which I can make realistic mockups, and I can also calibrate it to the way players really interpret articulations and expressions in John Williams Signature Edition scores (I observed the way they interpret ff > vs mf > and the samples playback accordingly). If you use big sample libraries, you will find it easy to use notation to indicate which samples should be used. For instance, staccatos can really trigger the staccato samples. Harp Glissandos can be played using harp pedal settings and first note, last note.

The clip is here (click on "see what's new"):

http://www.geniesoft.com/

• 3 months later...

I haven't composed anything for months. Certainly I've worked things out on keyboard but I have no real inspiration to put it in the computer for orchestra.

Justin - Who has to write music for something, not just "Scary Music Number 4 in G".

take a tv credit clip or a scene from a movie and score it. Don't publish it with the clip, but say that it works well with. that's what i do if i'm out of ideas, just use the clips as a template.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Care to share how you got into video game composing? 8O

Pretty much just fell into it once I moved from LA. It's one of the few things I can do professionally (with composing music) and not be in LA. I'll be composing all the original music for the 3 Star Trek games coming out this Sept (Trek 40th anniversary) so keep a watch out!

There's a long, boring bio here if you're interested (I'm the ugly dude at the bottom of the page):

http://www.rednoteaudio.com/about/

Jason

Hey! I created this thread so why does it say Salacius created it.

Just what are you trying to pull here, Breathmask?

Justin

I don't think it's his fault, he moved my thread (that I only wrote because I couldn’t find this one) here and the program did reset the original poster with my name.

I'm sure it wasn’t intentional

Jason, what sample library do you use for those fast horn glissandi, and flute runs? (like in the Spiderman 2 thing)

Hmmm, I think the flute runs are from Advanced Orchestra, I just put Altiverb on them for the space. The French Horn rips (if that's what you're talking about) are my own. If you listened to Spidey 2 you also heard live tpt and tbn - I wish my samples sounded that good!

Hope this helps a little.

Jason

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

well i just wrote a 70 track cd for games companies. absolute nightmare, but totally enjoyable and hopefully worth it. I'll tell you, professional composing is enjoyable, but real test of your abilities.

serious composers really aught to considder it.

It's good fun, and if you get onto the paid side of things, a few minutes of music can be worth your weight in gold.