Jump to content

The Composer's Thread


Justin

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Loert said:

An orchestral piece of music I wrote in the "spooky" style of Dukas, Lyadov, Berlioz et al. Enjoy!

 

 

Reminds me more of the "spooky" style of Elfman and Williams (Sleepy Hallow, Dracula, and Witches of Eastwick) fine nonetheless.  Dukas, Lyadov, Franck's "Le Chasseur maudit" (The Accursed Huntsman - one of the best of this genre) all spend quite a bit of time in the spooky setting without any action.  Just unsettling the listener.  If the music spends more time with the goblins, it feels more like Elfman or others exploring the bizarre ritualistic setting of the goblins of a more modern setting. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Loert said:

An orchestral piece of music I wrote in the "spooky" style of Dukas, Lyadov, Berlioz et al. Enjoy!

 

 

 

What sample libraries did you use?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, karelm said:

Reminds me more of the "spooky" style of Elfman and Williams (Sleepy Hallow, Dracula, and Witches of Eastwick) fine nonetheless.  Dukas, Lyadov, Franck's "Le Chasseur maudit" (The Accursed Huntsman - one of the best of this genre) all spend quite a bit of time in the spooky setting without any action.  Just unsettling the listener.  If the music spends more time with the goblins, it feels more like Elfman or others exploring the bizarre ritualistic setting of the goblins of a more modern setting. 

 

Thanks. I admit I don't listen to much Elfman, but I can see what you mean with Williams of course! The real starting points for this piece were Dukas and Lyadov - not that I sought out to emulate them or any other composer specifically, but I wanted to write something which fits within "that" subgenre, whatever it is!

6 hours ago, Drew said:

 

What sample libraries did you use?

 

Pretty much all samples are Orchestral Tools Berlin Series - which is pricey of course, but ultimately worth it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Loert said:

Pretty much all samples are Orchestral Tools Berlin Series - which is pricey of course, but ultimately worth it.

 

They look good, however I will have to stick with BBC Symphony Orchestra and CineBrass for a while and make the most out of it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

In the last days I was working on a large piece of music and had a dozen of piano sheets. Only two made it into my DAW to be orchestradet there. I finally finished these two tracks and put them together: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VQr3frFT87m63m9z7zjTapUMV0fM_5Up/view?usp=sharing

 

It's written for Darth Bane: Path Of Destruction (Chapter II) and is about the Gloom Walkers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Here is my latest composition - the three minute soundtrack for the 2022 National Park Travelers Club Convention preview video:

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Here is my newest compostion, for the Spitfire Audio Stargirl Scoring Competition:


This is my first time really composing action music to picture, and I am proud both that I was able to stretch out of my comfort zone, and of what I was able to come up with, even if its not perfect.

 

I tried to combine elements of some of my influences (Film composers like Williams, Shore etc., Prog/Pop/Rock bands like Genesis etc.) while still sounding like me.

 

Sounds used:

 

Spitfire Labs Harmonic Violin + Cello

 

BBCSO Discover Strings

 

ProjectSAM's Free Orchestra (for various orchestral and percussive effects, and basses and brass for the action section)

 

ARIA Player with Garritan (Timpani KS and Tremelo + Trills strings)

 

Addictive Keys Electric Piano

 

REDtron Mellotron VST

 

ARP Odyssey VST

 

@Loert

@Ludwig

@karelm

@Datameister

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

I attempted an action-y cue whilst my very slow hard drive was giving out. Reverb is a bit high for my taste, but it didn't turn out as bad as I thought it would given the circumstances. (Temp footage included)

 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_-BKcQ64M0nZGUexx_NrimcqELWgxmbi

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/08/2021 at 12:05 PM, Grace Under Pressure said:

Here is my newest compostion, for the Spitfire Audio Stargirl Scoring Competition:


This is my first time really composing action music to picture, and I am proud both that I was able to stretch out of my comfort zone, and of what I was able to come up with, even if its not perfect.

 

I tried to combine elements of some of my influences (Film composers like Williams, Shore etc., Prog/Pop/Rock bands like Genesis etc.) while still sounding like me.

 

Sounds used:

 

Spitfire Labs Harmonic Violin + Cello

 

BBCSO Discover Strings

 

ProjectSAM's Free Orchestra (for various orchestral and percussive effects, and basses and brass for the action section)

 

ARIA Player with Garritan (Timpani KS and Tremelo + Trills strings)

 

Addictive Keys Electric Piano

 

REDtron Mellotron VST

 

ARP Odyssey VST

 

@Loert

@Ludwig

@karelm

@Datameister

Oops, sorry for the very slow response, I missed this.  Nice job!  I liked how you supported the drama, for example, the tension riser when truck can't stop in time and the relief when the bus is on the bridge.  In this type of show you can probably do that a bit more, like when the robot says "I've got it" and flies to rescue the bus, you could add a hint of heroism there, or some acknowledgement.  It's also good that you choose what you acknowledge musically and you seem to have good instinct in this.  Very good job.

11 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

I attempted an action-y cue whilst my very slow hard drive was giving out. Reverb is a bit high for my taste, but it didn't turn out as bad as I thought it would given the circumstances. (Temp footage included)

 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_-BKcQ64M0nZGUexx_NrimcqELWgxmbi

Very nice...there is something a bit off about the timing.  You have a climax at timecode 43:277 but it sounds a second or two early before the exterior shot.  Good musically, just needs to hold otherwise it feels like the climax arrived too soon.  Good and exciting music, try dropping the snare drum some times, if it plays throughout, it ends up reducing the effect.  I liked your Horner bells. :) Nice and epic cue.  Just needs some fine tuning on the details, but a very solid sci-fi action cue.  I could totally see this in Orville with its retro score.  I liked your Williams, Horner, Elfman touches.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 16/10/2021 at 11:07 PM, Manakin Skywalker said:

I attempted an action-y cue whilst my very slow hard drive was giving out. Reverb is a bit high for my taste, but it didn't turn out as bad as I thought it would given the circumstances. (Temp footage included)

 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_-BKcQ64M0nZGUexx_NrimcqELWgxmbi

That was a lot of fun! Really enjoy your KOTOR / The Old Republic sound for this book. It really fits, and it's just nice to hear more Star Wars music in that style. 

I actually did a cover a week ago of the final swing music from the first Spider-Man film. I know the timing is a little off, strangely the YouTube video's timing is more off than my original rendered version. I would have adjusted it more if my rendered video had the timing of the YouTube version. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/07/2021 at 3:08 PM, Loert said:

An orchestral piece of music I wrote in the "spooky" style of Dukas, Lyadov, Berlioz et al. Enjoy!

 

 

This is fantastic. I absolutely love it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 02/08/2021 at 9:51 AM, scottsinct said:

Here is my latest composition - the three minute soundtrack for the 2022 National Park Travelers Club Convention preview video:

 

Nice piece. There's a certain charm about using a vintage sounding library like this. It kind of stands out in a good way compared to the productions of many composers who all have the same Hollywood sound. And the nice thing is the majority of the general public probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference anyway, and if they could, they probably wouldn't even care. 

 

The public seems to be more interested in the composition, the song, the emotional experience more so than the sound.  The exception would be if the sound was actually distractingly bad, such as in the case of General MIDI. But thankfully your piece doesn't sound anything like GM. So if your goal is to make pleasing music for people and not for industry insiders, I think you have arrived and a more advanced sounding library probably wouldn't be necessary unless your current library lacks articulations that you need for the style of music that you're trying to do. 

 

Don't get me wrong, I like high-end sounding libraries as well. But if they're not needed (and generally they are not needed unless you're trying to impress some industry insider or classical music purist), you can often get away with a much less expensive and more efficient library that requires less computer resources, write to its strengths and still do great work that the public would enjoy.  

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, karelm said:

This is part of suite I am working on.  Just a little overture.

KE_Neb - Clyp

 

Very cool! I can hear a space traveller drifting through space dust (the "mystical" sections) and occasionally arriving at a star system (the "fanfares"). Nice ending too :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Loert said:

 

Very cool! I can hear a space traveler drifting through space dust (the "mystical" sections) and occasionally arriving at a star system (the "fanfares"). Nice ending too :D

Thanks mate!  That's exactly it but it's a band of space travelers (Guardians of the Galaxy type of thing). :) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Recently composed two orchestral suites for my friend's fantasy graphic novel he's working. Still in early stages of development, but hopefully will get its feet off the ground some day. 

I cheated a bit on the first one, as I took inspiration from the Brother Bear opening in the beginning, and some of the orchestration from the Shmi Skywalker theme for the ending:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ddrOw3ukiX6Vk4og0sr8vfaKeFj4YpzT/view?usp=sharing

 

I think the second theme is a bit stronger, but I still took some inspiration from "Anakin's Dark Deeds" for the first half, as the scene I was thinking of when I was writing for that had a similar tone to the Revenge of the Sith one. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vNMNdWz0NQ3xPUrdjoFOwhSGbR7xan8F/view?usp=sharing

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, superultramegaa said:

Recently composed two orchestral suites for my friend's fantasy graphic novel he's working. Still in early stages of development, but hopefully will get its feet off the ground some day. 

I cheated a bit on the first one, as I took inspiration from the Brother Bear opening in the beginning, and some of the orchestration from the Shmi Skywalker theme for the ending:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ddrOw3ukiX6Vk4og0sr8vfaKeFj4YpzT/view?usp=sharing

 

I think the second theme is a bit stronger, but I still took some inspiration from "Anakin's Dark Deeds" for the first half, as the scene I was thinking of when I was writing for that had a similar tone to the Revenge of the Sith one. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vNMNdWz0NQ3xPUrdjoFOwhSGbR7xan8F/view?usp=sharing

I liked it!  Would sound great with a live orchestra.  Your inspiration from Shmi and Anakin's Dark Deeds are noticed structurally which is fine, but they are subtle enough that it wouldn't be noticed had you not called it out.  It would have sounded like a sci-fi/fantasy trope which my suite does as well (as did those we are influenced by).  I like the idea of you composing music based on a friends story.  Artist inspiring artist.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just stumbled on this thread so only listened to the last cues and boy was I impressed by the sound quality. I also compose scores for independent short and feature films, and I always struggle when it comes to making virtual orchestral instruments sound, well… not fake as heck :D @superultramegaa nice intricate JW orchestrations, plus your choir in the second track caught me offguard, I got quite scared haha! And @karelm I really got the Guardians vibe, it kinda reminded me of the best Zimmer-y tight and modern orchestral textures (Wallfisch's Shazam for instance)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.