The Composer's Thread

Justin

3 hours ago, Loert said:

An orchestral piece of music I wrote in the "spooky" style of Dukas, Lyadov, Berlioz et al. Enjoy!

Reminds me more of the "spooky" style of Elfman and Williams (Sleepy Hallow, Dracula, and Witches of Eastwick) fine nonetheless.  Dukas, Lyadov, Franck's "Le Chasseur maudit" (The Accursed Huntsman - one of the best of this genre) all spend quite a bit of time in the spooky setting without any action.  Just unsettling the listener.  If the music spends more time with the goblins, it feels more like Elfman or others exploring the bizarre ritualistic setting of the goblins of a more modern setting. 

8 hours ago, Loert said:

An orchestral piece of music I wrote in the "spooky" style of Dukas, Lyadov, Berlioz et al. Enjoy!

What sample libraries did you use?

11 hours ago, karelm said:

Reminds me more of the "spooky" style of Elfman and Williams (Sleepy Hallow, Dracula, and Witches of Eastwick) fine nonetheless.  Dukas, Lyadov, Franck's "Le Chasseur maudit" (The Accursed Huntsman - one of the best of this genre) all spend quite a bit of time in the spooky setting without any action.  Just unsettling the listener.  If the music spends more time with the goblins, it feels more like Elfman or others exploring the bizarre ritualistic setting of the goblins of a more modern setting. 

Thanks. I admit I don't listen to much Elfman, but I can see what you mean with Williams of course! The real starting points for this piece were Dukas and Lyadov - not that I sought out to emulate them or any other composer specifically, but I wanted to write something which fits within "that" subgenre, whatever it is!

6 hours ago, Drew said:

What sample libraries did you use?

Pretty much all samples are Orchestral Tools Berlin Series - which is pricey of course, but ultimately worth it.

7 hours ago, Loert said:

Pretty much all samples are Orchestral Tools Berlin Series - which is pricey of course, but ultimately worth it.

They look good, however I will have to stick with BBC Symphony Orchestra and CineBrass for a while and make the most out of it.

• 2 weeks later...

In the last days I was working on a large piece of music and had a dozen of piano sheets. Only two made it into my DAW to be orchestradet there. I finally finished these two tracks and put them together: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VQr3frFT87m63m9z7zjTapUMV0fM_5Up/view?usp=sharing

It's written for Darth Bane: Path Of Destruction (Chapter II) and is about the Gloom Walkers.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is my latest composition - the three minute soundtrack for the 2022 National Park Travelers Club Convention preview video:

• 2 weeks later...

Here is my newest compostion, for the Spitfire Audio Stargirl Scoring Competition:

This is my first time really composing action music to picture, and I am proud both that I was able to stretch out of my comfort zone, and of what I was able to come up with, even if its not perfect.

I tried to combine elements of some of my influences (Film composers like Williams, Shore etc., Prog/Pop/Rock bands like Genesis etc.) while still sounding like me.

Sounds used:

Spitfire Labs Harmonic Violin + Cello

BBCSO Discover Strings

ProjectSAM's Free Orchestra (for various orchestral and percussive effects, and basses and brass for the action section)

ARIA Player with Garritan (Timpani KS and Tremelo + Trills strings)

Addictive Keys Electric Piano

REDtron Mellotron VST

ARP Odyssey VST

@Loert

@Ludwig

@karelm

@Datameister