Lost

Mr. Breathmask

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Next week is the 2 hour season finale and then nothing until Jan/Feb 2008.

It was nice to see Rose and her husband back on last night.

I wonder what's in store for poor Charlie? I started to think that Desmond would get done in last night but it appears not.

I'm pretty sure that Charlie will die, but I'm not sure if he'll be able to flip the yellow switch. Last night's episode was really tragic, and in the end I felt for Charlie. At a certain time, we all must ask ourselves how far would we go for our loved ones.

That was the most emotional episode of Lost I've ever seen. That might have even topped the ending of Walkabout.

I'm really looking forward to the finale.

Good episode, great writing from Giacchino. The show's been on a roll for a while now; let's hope the finale lives up to the setup. Some people say that Lost has jumped the shark, but I think it's in its prime. Season 3 became a damn fine story after that crappy beginning.

I also have to give Michael Emerson credit for his standout delivery of the "Here's your gun back" line. He's been a fantastic addition to the cast.

I wasn't crazy about it either. I'm not a fan of Charlie episodes though this one has been the best of his so far. It was a great set-up episode but it didn't touch me emotionally at all. I was more moved by Julia's flashback episode (her sister, coming to the Island) this season.

The Losties/Others thing won't be ending well but I'm pretty excited about the Looking Glass! Already there are questions - who are they, why did Ben say it was not operational etc... Speaking of Ben, he was chilling in his brief appearence. Excellent work.

I think Ben has become even more evil (somehow). You can see that he is becoming unhinged.

Giacchino once again introduced some new tricks in the last episode, very nice. And Monaghan was great - he's always good in the series, but this time he was even better than usual. I must say he's one of my favourite characters - but with the amount of "Charlie's gonna die" episodes recently, I'm actually beginning to hope they'd kill him off and be done with it. Though really, I'd rather have him survive and Desmond simply stopping to see visions of his death.

Well tonite's the big season finale.

I predict 1 hour and 59 mins of flashbacks and nothing getting accomplished and then during the last minute Locke will come walking out of the forest towards Jack and Ben, shoot Ben and say "Hello Jack". and then it will end...... :devil:

Or one of the flashbacks will resolve into a ending moment where you are left standing there scratching your head, saying "what the f...?"

I expect more questions then answers. Locke will live, Charlie will die, and no one will be rescued. I'll probably enjoy it, but thats been suprisingly common of late.

We've still got 48 episodes left, No one will get rescued..........

Or will they.................. :devil: I've heard rumors of flash foward sequence..... :blink:

Well, that rounded off a great season. The beginning was rather shaky, but it's been nothing but awesome since about episode 10. I loved seeing Hurley trashing the beach in his VW bus. :lol:

I wish the island story had had a bit more of a cliffhanger, though. The ending wasn't such a shock to me, thanks to Mark's comment above (you spoilery bastard! :P ), but there were also other clues - the big beard (when did Jack ever have that before? Why would he grow it and shave it off again? Doesn't fit with pre-island Jack), and the Motorola phone (a pretty new model that might not even have been around in September 2004 - and if it was, he didn't have the beard back then).

Mark's discription of the ending wasn't even that different from what we finally got either. Funny.

And we saw Walt! Yay! (puberty's a bitch to continuity, though)

I swear I had no inside knowledge. I heard rumors about a "flashforward" and there were hints; the airline, the beard, the newspaper obit., the funeral and just his emotional state.

Now comes about an 8 month wait...... :lol:

******************************************Spoilers********************************************************************************

As for how it ended, well the way the show goes it made sense for either one and we got got both. although Locke killed Naomi instead of Ben.

Charlie really didn't have to die. I know he sacrificed himself so Desmond's vision could come true but he could have gotten away clean. He could have shut the door from the outside. All the grenade did was pop the window.

I don't think they gave anything away before Kate and Jack met at the airport that would have suggested this was the future.

Jack kept talking about his father as if he were alive. Maybe Jack was a frequent flier of Oceanic well before the crash. Heck, I thought the turbulence on the plane was showing us how much trouble that airline has on its flights.

And we never really saw what happened to Jack after the divorce. I thought this was showing us his breakdown from his failed marriage and his rocky relationship with his father. We don't know how much time passed between his divorce and the crash. Why couldn't he have grown a beard and had some "resurrection," then shaved it off and became a better doctor? Not being the most technologically savvy person in the world, I didn't think anything abot the cell phone.

I also was fooled into thinking it was sometime between the divorce and the crash.

I hope the focus is not taken away from the island in future seasons,or that the island mysteries becomes irrelevant in the scope of some bigger story.

A question,when they were showing "flashbacks",is it the character on island reminescing of that moment in time because he is beeing faced with certain situations,or just an entirely different point of view?Desmond's promonitions is something he actually is thinking about on the island at that moment ,was it the same for the flashbacks?

It was after the crash. It was made pretty apparant by many clues in the episode. Jack yelling "We have to go back!" should be enough evidence for anyone. Why is was a mistake to be rescued (not to mention who is in the coffin) is unknown.

I really, really enjoyed the finale. Despite Charlie dying, I was happy with how everything turned out. Jack beating the crap out of Ben was a joy to watch. I've been waiting for that for a while now. It seems that Mikhail can't die. This has made like the third time that he's been killed.

I missed the part with Walt, which I'm mad about because he is one of my favorite characters.

I almost expect next season to begin with ole one eye floppin on the beach like a fish, with his limbs missing.

I think it's safe to say he's dead now.

Jack talking as if his father was still alive is interesting.

Whenever they showed Jack back home it just didn't feel like a standard flashback. In fact another one that gave it away was when Jack was sitting in his apartment. You can see maps, maybe an atlas, and other items that made it look like he was trying to find the island again. Plotting longitude and lattitude coordinates.

He really wanted to go back to the island, I guess because his life was so far down the toilet. His talk about his father being alive might have come from the fact that he was becoming a drunk. Either that, or the island brought him back to life or the flash-forward takes place in an alternate future.

He really wanted to go back to the island, I guess because his life was so far down the toilet. His talk about his father being alive might have come from the fact that he was becoming a drunk. Either that, or the island brought him back to life or the flash-forward takes place in an alternate future.

It was interesting to see that at least three of them (I'm assuming "he" that Kate refers to is Sawyer) make it off the island and are treated as heroes. I was worried about how they will do 3 more seasons knowing they get rescued, but it's clear now that we're not done with mysteries and craziness (Why is it so bad to escape the island is going to be interesting to see).

Who wants to place bets on who was in the casket? After giving it some thought, my bets are Locke or Ben. I'm leaning towards Locke. Jack says he's neither friend or family. I can see either A) Going to Ben's funeral because he would be right about the rescue ship, sort of a "realize the genius of the bad guy" moment, or B) Locke, for the same reasons. The reason I lean toward Locke, is that Jack saw his obituary in the paper, and I don't see Ben being anyone famous if he ever made it back, but Locke might. Not to mention I can't picture any family or friends going to either Locke or Ben's funeral.

******************************************Spoilers********************************************************************************

As for how it ended, well the way the show goes it made sense for either one and we got got both. although Locke killed Naomi instead of Ben.

Charlie really didn't have to die. I know he sacrificed himself so Desmond's vision could come true but he could have gotten away clean. He could have shut the door from the outside. All the grenade did was pop the window.

Charlie had to lock it from the inside otherwise the water would have still gotten in and the pressure would have caused the water to come in from the other entrance.

It is very possible that the man in the coffin was Locke. For some reason, I thought it might be Juliet.

great season finale. I can't believe how much ass-kicking the group did on The Others. I was really srprised when Sawyer shot Tom who was beginning to annoy me with his cocky attitude. And yeah, I'm glad Jack didn't fall for Henry's manipulation and beat the snot out of him. Sadly, i think its like the boy who cried wolf. Things look quite bad for Jack. Looks like he's also falling into the same psychosis as Henry. HOw ironic.

I caught the last 45 minutes or so last night, the first Lost I've watched since borrowing the S1 DVD. Interesting, though obviously I'm not all caught up on current goings-on. I guess the question is if these new "flashforwards" are going to permanently replace the old flashbacks.

great season finale. I can't believe how much ass-kicking the group did on The Others. I was really srprised when Sawyer shot Tom who was beginning to annoy me with his cocky attitude. And yeah, I'm glad Jack didn't fall for Henry's manipulation and beat the snot out of him. Sadly, i think its like the boy who cried wolf. Things look quite bad for Jack. Looks like he's also falling into the same psychosis as Henry. HOw ironic.

***SPOILERS***

Totally agree. It was an awesome season finale. It felt really like a movie. The great spin at the end about the flash-forward opens up very cool possibilities in the whole narrative arc and the storytelling. I stayed away from spoilers, so for me it was a complete and unexpected twist. Charlie's demise was poignant and moving, even if expected.

Ben and Jack are going to be more and more the mirror of each other. Sawyer will go through a very dark and dangerous journey from now on. Kate is going to be more of a pivotal character than she was until now. And I bet Locke will be the one character who will "unlocke" Island's mysteries.

A note about the music: another great job by Michael Giacchino. It was great to hear again the action-y passacaglia-like motif from Season 1 all throughout the episode.

I was really impressed by the trek music used when the survivors were leaving their camp. Lost probably has the best music of any current TV show.

Blegh.

I also really like what Giacchino has been doing the past few episodes. And I've noticed he's starting to interweave all these motifs from the first two seasons, playing them against or on top of each other. Very cool.

I loved the fugal string theme for the trekking. I loved it the first time as well, back in the first season. It reminds me of some of Williams' fugues (mainly because nobody actually writes them these days except him).

Oh, and the episode! Bloody awesome! Very exciting and unexpected; it's very very rare when I can't guess what's going to happen next but I was twisting in my chair trying to figure out who Jack was going to meet at the airport. Speaking of which, Kate looked completely different with her face and hair done "properly". She really is a stunner, but I've always thought that. I'm so intrigued by these mystery rescuers - I was really hoping there was an element of truth to what Ben was saying, or at least that he truly believed what he was saying.

Seeing Penny again was great considering the finale of Season 2. I was also a bit annoyed about the Charlie sacrifice; he could easily have swam out of the porthole after the room had filled with water; it wasn't that small. And he can hold his breath for ages! Still, we haven't actually seen him drown... It's not really a plot error though. He truly wanted to fulfill his purpose on the Island and probably stop all of Desmond's gruesome visions (they always insist on showing us the arrow-in-the-throat and it makes me so uncomfortable!).

What else... I also predict the mysterious coffin was Juliette's. It would explain Kate's reaction. I doubt it was Locke; I think he will choose to stay on the island. Ben for the same reason. The father references were intriguing as well, we still haven't seen a body yet.

Great, great episode.

This is what could be made out of the obituary in Jack's newspaper:

'Los Angeles (Heading)

Man found dead in downtown loft(subheading)

The body of Jo*****antham of New York was found shortly after 4 a.m. in the ******** of Grand Avenue. '

This is what could be made out of the obituary in Jack's newspaper:
'Los Angeles (Heading)

Man found dead in downtown loft(subheading)

The body of Jo*****antham of New York was found shortly after 4 a.m. in the ******** of Grand Avenue. '

Clicky

Highlight to read:

"The body of John Lantham of New York was found shortly after 4 am in the 4300 block of Grand Avenue. Ted Worden, a doorman at the Tower Lofts complex, heard loud noises coming from the victim's loft. Concerned for tenants' safety, he entered the loft and found the body hanging from a beam in the living room. According to Jaime Ortiz, a police spokesman, the incident was deemed a suicide after medical tests. Lantham (sic) is survived by one teenaged son. Memorial services will be held at the Hoffs-Drawlar Funeral Home tomorrow evening."

- uncverified source

The teenage son bit pretty much tells me that of all the losties it has to be Michael. He must have changed his name to John Lantham to avoid questions about what he did on the island.

I also really like what Giacchino has been doing the past few episodes. And I've noticed he's starting to interweave all these motifs from the first two seasons, playing them against or on top of each other. Very cool.

Yep, right. There are several motif that now are more clearly associated to characters and situations. I'm trying to do a breakdown of all these.

I know that theres at least motifs for:

Ben/Others

Two for Locke

Desmond

Kate

The Monster seemed to have one in Season 1

The Love Theme

and the Life and Death motif.

Another three seasons, and this is going to be more thematically complex than Star Wars, and I certainly wouldn't mind having complete scores for this show.

I like how he set off to compose for a set group of musicians and has gotten so much mileage out of them. I sometimes forget there are no horns or trumpets in the score. Credit to Giacchino for wringing out every possible timbral effect from the group of instruments that he chose.

Just to clarify though, the "Treking" music is not a fugue. A fugue or fugal section has more counterpoint. I would see the cello line as more of a passacaglia or perhaps even a ground bass. Now if Giacchino used that as the subject and then add more lines above it contrapuntally, that would be more fugal.

I just attended Saint Saens' 3rd Symphony the other evening and there are some wonderful examples of the art of fugue in the final movement. Really awesome and very film scorish actually. :)

One thing that was really great about the finale was that it was a return to Lost's roots. The adding of themes from the first season and the appearance of Walt was a great return to form. I think things are looking up for next season. Maybe Michael and Walt will finally come back?

The ending wasn't such a shock to me

I kinda guessed it might be a bit of the future, though the father thing mostly made me drop that thought.

A question,when they were showing "flashbacks",is it the character on island reminescing of that moment in time because he is beeing faced with certain situations,or just an entirely different point of view?Desmond's promonitions is something he actually is thinking about on the island at that moment ,was it the same for the flashbacks?

At least at times it's clearly something they think about at that particular moment. In season 1, it seemed to generally be an instance of the character's back story that defined an aspect of the character particularly relevant to that specific episode (a subconscious flashback, so to speak), though this connection doesn't seem to be so strong since S2.

I also loved the music in the finale. And not only the cool counterpointy march, but also the wonderful treatment of Charlie's theme, which has always been one of my favourite themes from the show (although for a long time I thought it was a general "friendship" theme).

Regarding Charlie... I don't see any plot holes there. The hatch was obviously too small for him to swim through. The one thing that really bothers me is that he could have survived if he'd just waited for Desmond to prepare the air tanks.

And the dead guy could be Sawyer... obviously we're meant to assume Kate is with Sawyer when she mentions "him", but assumptions and Lost don't always go together. :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

Just finished watching the second half of the third season. In my opinion, Lost has never been this good. It has been well worth the 'wait', if you could call it that way.

What was the rumour about a 'zombie' season by the way?

I've steered clear of any internet stuff and forums on Lost because I'm always behind.

A running gag on the producers' podcast was that they would run out of ideas by season 7, and that season 7 would be the zombie season, where everyone who had died would return to the island as a zombie.

:)

Thanks.

I also thought Giacchino's music stood out in the last couple of episodes.

The Williamsesque fugue (I think it's the third or fourth time he has reprised it) is indeed great. It borrows heavily from the Preparations Fugue from Williams's Black Sunday by the way.

One of the cues I liked most is in the episode with Ben's flashbacks: when he arrives on the island, on the pier.

I don't know what motif/theme that is though.

I hope there'll be a third soundtrack.

One of the cues I liked most is in the episode with Ben's flashbacks: when he arrives on the island, on the pier.

I don't know what motif/theme that is though.

It was the Island Mystery motif, joined by Ben's theme.

I listened to the season 1 and 2 soundtracks..not bad.Giachinno is better than MV.I haven't sorted out the themes yet

K.M.

I listened to the season 1 and 2 soundtracks..not bad.Giachinno is better than MV.I haven't sorted out the themes yet

K.M.

Giacchico has a lot of potential. You should get some of his game scores KM, it's good stuff.

John- very much looking forward to Giacchino Star Trek