Lost

Mr. Breathmask

Finishing watching the second season of Alias a few days ago has convinced me that Giacchino doesn't just often write good to very good music, but is in fact very talented and consistently good to great.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 months later...

This is old news, but just to make it official in this thread...

Season 4 of Lost has been delayed due to the writer's strike. Only 8 episodes have been made so far, and production has been halted. It is still unclear whether those 8 episodes will premiere this year and the other 8 next, or whether the show will be fully postponed 1 year and be shown in full in 2009.

This is old news, but just to make it official in this thread...

Season 4 of Lost has been delayed due to the writer's strike. Only 8 episodes have been made so far, and production has been halted. It is still unclear whether those 8 episodes will premiere this year and the other 8 next, or whether the show will be fully postponed 1 year and be shown in full in 2009.

I strongly believe that the curse-word filter should be deactivated in this thread so that we can react adequatly to these news.

Once the strike ends, Lost will go back into production.

Carlton Cuse has stated that he and the rest of the heads of the creative team of Lost would prefer the show to be delayed until all 16 episodes can be showed consecutively (as Fox is currently doing with 24). Whether ABC will go along with this or whether they'll air the first 8 episodes in February and leave us hanging for the rest we don't know yet.

:cool:

Talk about bad news. This strike needs to be resolved before TV is destroyed beyond repair. A whole year without Lost (among other shows)? I sure hope not.

This show has writers? I was beginning to think they just made it up as they went along.

There are things in the pilot episode that connect to the entire series as a whole.

Yes but most of those were added retrospectively. As in "let's look at the pilot episode and see what we can contrive from it".

Not that I don't still love the show, but it's not very well-crafted. A lot of carefully developed material and characters get thrown away for the sake of a twist, and once the new ideas from that start to get interesting we're thrown on our ears again. I realise that Abrams uses misdirection a lot in his storytelling, but there's only so much you can take before either a) you see a twist coming from a mile off, or b) you've exhausted so many ideas that the new ones seem completely inexplicable, and only done for the sake of a twist.

Of course, carefully developed television shows are very rare. Joss Whedon is a master at it, as Buffy is his magnum opus. Unfortunately Firefly and to a lesser extent Angel weren't given the chance.

I really don't believe the show is crafted that way. The character development is why it is so great, I don't think much of it is sacrificed for a twist. Also, those twists are pretty well planned and intense. I definitely didn't expect a majority of them, but that could just be me. C'mon, don't tell me that flash-forward wasn't genius.

It wasn't genius, it was an attempt to mix things up for the sake of freshness (it was also pretty obvious what was going on for most of the episode). They were losing critics and viewers alike, so they came up with a new twist to try to win them back. It's impossible to tell if the flash forward will wind up being a good or bad move until we see the seasons to come.

Just look at the third season finale of Battlestar Galactica. I have faith that the writers will be able to write their way out of the jam they created, but things could still go horribly wrong and the show could be ruined.

Damn, wouldn't that suck? Let's hope both writing teams know what they're doing.

I think that applies more to Heroes

I'm beginning to think that as well. Lost really "lost" my attention after the first season when it became apparent that the overall story was just a long drawn-out excuse to get more character interplay in. I've pretty much given up on it now as it's become a soap opera on an island.

Heroes seems to be heading the same way. Season 2 has singularly failed to captivate me. My wife loves it, and I enjoy watching it, but a great, well-crafted epic it is not. There are far too many characters in season 2 who have nothing to do except distract attention from the main plotline (not that season 2 seems to have one, or if it does I've forgotten it).

By far the show that most entertains me right now is Chuck. It's fun, sassy, funny, entertaining, and as a big bonus it has no delusions of grandeur or mistaken belief that it is somehow an "epic" like Lost and Heroes. It is what it is, and it does it beautifully.

It's actually like a cigarette: one episode can completely turn you off, but curiosity can make you addicted. And jumping back in after missing out for a while is a little unpleasant.

I think the only plot thread that has decently woven its way through the series thus far is Locke and his father. Kate's is becoming more and more complicated for no reason and Jack's is just boring.

Here's hoping for more Ben episodes, and more quirky-but-poignant Hurley...

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately it's only 8 episodes, half the season. My guess is that they'll show the second half in the fall after the writer's strike is over (hopefully).

Have any of you been watching the Missing Pieces? It's a great filler until Thursday, Jan. 31st at 8pm. http://abc.go.com/primetime/lost/missingpi.../index?pn=index

• 3 weeks later...
I've only seen the show on DVD- It's two damned annoying on a week by week basis, I'm too impatient. I'm gonna wait till the season's over, and then start season 3. Unless I brake sooner, which is entirely possible.

Well, I did it. It took me longer to get to it than I thought it would....but I finally saw season three. and, yes....

I suspect it's going to be better when you can watch it all in one go.

...I believe that Marc was correct. Fantastic season. Loved it. Sure the ending was relatively slow, but after not seeing the show for a year, I liked even the first few episodes. But when it kicked into gear, it really became terrific. Saw it in about 6 sittings. I don't know how I would cope with having to wait for it week by week.

BTW- how far back do the podcasts go? The website is a bit unclear, and doesn't seem to be showing them all.

• 2 weeks later...

No, it never really hooked me. I borrowed the Season 1 DVDs summer before last and enjoyed them, but wasn't blown away. I never got around to borrowing S2. I did watch the finale last year, but more as background than really watching, it'd be the same thing tonight. Galactica and Who are the only in-production shows I'm totally wrapped up in right now.

That can pretty much be expected with LOST finales and premieres.

An excellent start to what seems to be an amazing season. Pay close attention to the background, I'm sure Christian Bale and Steve Zhan are wondering around somewhere.

I used to visit Lostpedia during season 3, but I don't anymore. It's good for Lost news on the main page, but other than that, it's all speculation and spoilers. I'd rather wait and see it for myself on the show, be surprised, that's what it's all about.