Lost

Mr. Breathmask

I agree with what someone else said a few days ago - the brief return of the Hatch theme was awesome. I love it when Mikey dusts off an old theme you haven't heard in a while. It's nice to know he doesn't forget the myriad of themes he's written in the past.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly, The Trout. Now, of course, I'm sure 95% of the viewers watching (at least!) did not realize that it was the hatch theme. But to them, it simply would have sounded like appropriate music, and to those of us who've paid such an insane level of attention, it increases the enjoyment all the more! Reminds me of when he took the mini-theme for Christian's apparitions in "White Rabbit" and briefly revived it in a season 4 episode involving Christian appearing to Jack again..."Something Nice Back Home," I think.

On a different music-related note, I think it's interesting that what we've been calling the "peril theme" in the Lostpedia article has shown up in the season finales for S2, S3, and S4 - and nowhere else! - and the soundtracks include all three statements of the theme. I believe that's the only case in which every statement of a Lost theme is presented on soundtrack.

I didn't even know the hatch had a theme.

http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/Musical_themes

Exactly. Now, of course, I'm sure 95% of the viewers watching (at least!) did not realize that it was the hatch theme. But to them, it simply would have sounded like appropriate music, and to those of us who've paid such an insane level of attention, it increases the enjoyment all the more! Reminds me of when he took the mini-theme for Christian's apparitions in "White Rabbit" and briefly revived it in a season 4 episode involving Christian appearing to Jack again..."Something Nice Back Home," I think.

On a different music-related note, I think it's interesting that what we've been calling the "peril theme" in the Lostpedia article has shown up in the season finales for S2, S3, and S4 - and nowhere else! - and the soundtracks include all three statements of the theme. I believe that's the only case in which every statement of a Lost theme is presented on soundtrack.

Wow, I totally never noticed the Christian motif before. It's not just amazing how much depth the score to Lost actually has, it's amazing that Giacchino can keep track of it all. Or, more likely, he was spotting the episode in season four and thought, "Hey, I wonder if I gave Jack's dad a motif in that one episode from the first season. I should look that up..."

And technically, couldn't that "peril theme" simply be called the "finale theme" since that's the only place it appears? Or perhaps the "Ha ha, you've gotta wait half a year to see more of this, suckers!" theme.

And technically, couldn't that "peril theme" simply be called the "finale theme" since that's the only place it appears? Or perhaps the "Ha ha, you've gotta wait half a year to see more of this, suckers!" theme.

I've been considering that for a while. Actually, when I double-checked its name on the article, I was kinda surprised to realize I hadn't changed it. Maybe I'll do that now.

I've been considering that for a while. Actually, when I double-checked its name on the article, I was kinda surprised to realize I hadn't changed it. Maybe I'll do that now.

Dude, you're the one responsible for that article on Lostpedia? That's awesome. I've been referencing it for the past couple weeks now, since I started really digging into the soundtracks for the first time (even though I've watched Lost since the first season).

(It's also an odd coincidence that you were working on that virtual Disneyland model, since I actually followed your progress on that religiously until you took a break. I always find it strange when two fandoms and/or forums I lurk in collide somehow.)

Haha, yeah, the article and the 3D model of Disneyland are both my brainchildren. (That's an awesome word! :)) Of course, the article is collaborative, since it's a wiki article, so I'm not the only one who's written it, but the format and the majority of the themes and most of the sheet music were from me. Hopefully I'll get back to work on the Disneyland model before TOO long...I've never taken such a long break from it since I started this version of it, but I'm just feeling a lot more interested in music and so forth right now.

Hopefully I'll get back to work on the Disneyland model before TOO long...

What's this? A CGI model of Disneyland?

I'm fairly certain that 'Of Mice and Ben' is the amazing statement of the O6 theme that concludes There's No Place Like Home Part 1. So I'm Happy!

Could 'Time and Time Again' contain the excellent music for the introduction to the freighter in The Constant?

Y'know, that first one WOULD make perfect sense, considering the tracks that it comes before and after, as well as the fact that Ben's name is in the title. And I could totally buy your guess for "Time and Time Again," too.

One of these days, I'm gonna go through all four soundtracks and come up with alternates for every track name that sacrifices clarity for wit. :lol:

One of these days, I'm gonna go through all four soundtracks and come up with alternates for every track name that sacrifices clarity for wit. :lol:

While I'm watching the show and listening to the music, I try to come up with the most Giacchino-esque track titles I can. I'm rewatching season two right now, and I really think he missed the boat on naming "Shannon's Funeral." My alternate title? "Shannigan's Wake." Given, it's no "Booneral," but it works. In the same episode, Jack is chopping firewood. There's no score, but part of me really wanted a cue named "Lumber Jack." The greatest fake Giacchino track title I've thought of so far is for when the ghost of Ana Lucia berates Hurley in season five. I can't remember if there's music in that scene or not, but if there is, it needs to be titled "Ana-chronism."

As an aside, those soundtracks desperately need liner notes. What is Varese smoking when they just fill those booklets up with pictures?

While I'm watching the show and listening to the music, I try to come up with the most Giacchino-esque track titles I can. I'm rewatching season two right now, and I really think he missed the boat on naming "Shannon's Funeral." My alternate title? "Shannigan's Wake." Given, it's no "Booneral," but it works. In the same episode, Jack is chopping firewood. There's no score, but part of me really wanted a cue named "Lumber Jack." The greatest fake Giacchino track title I've thought of so far is for when the ghost of Ana Lucia berates Hurley in season five. I can't remember if there's music in that scene or not, but if there is, it needs to be titled "Ana-chronism."

Dude, that is awesome! :lol: "Ana-chronism" is especially amazing. Yeah, I haven't expanded my Lost soundtracks very much, since I don't own the DVDs, but sometimes there'll be a bit that can be recorded from the online versions without much SFX or dialogue, and I always make a point of coming up with Giacchino-esque names. So far, I've got:

* "Jack of All Trades" (S3): Jack's theme as he plays it on the piano in the Barracks.

* "Off to See the Wizard" (S3): Ben's theme and the first traveling theme meet contrapuntally as Ben and Locke leave the Others' camp to see Jacob in "The Man Behind the Curtain."

* "Hawaii O-6" (S4): This is what Giacchino decided to call "There’s No Place Like Home." As I said earlier, I think, the fact that the O6 are landing in Hawaii made the Hawaii Five-O reference too terrible an opportunity to pass up.

Here's my attempt at de-Giacchino-ifying the S1 track titles, except where the actual titles are too funny and/or appropriate to ditch. Most of these aren't particularly exciting, but they at least feel a little more serious. Just some ideas.

1. Main Title

2. Jack Awakens [The Eyeland]

3. The Crash Site [World’s Worst Beach Party]

4. Survivors [Credit Where Credit Is Due]

5. The First Chase [Run Like, Um... Hell?]

6. Going on a Hike [Hollywood and Vines]

7. Just Die Already

8. Something in the Jungle [Me And My Big Mouth]

9. Locke's Theme [Crocodile Locke]

10. My Father Died [Win One for the Reaper]

11. Departing Sun

12. Saving Charlie [Charlie Hangs Around]

13. The Waterfall [Navel Gazing]

14. Proper Motivation

15. The Monster [Run Away! Run Away!]

16. We’re Friends

17. Getting Ethan

18. Claire and Aaron [Thinking Clairely]

19. Locke’d Out Again

20. Life and Death

21. Boone's Funeral [booneral]

22. Shannon on the Beach [shannonigans]

23. Kate’s Motel

24. I’ve Got A Plane To Catch

25. The Monster Revealed [Monsters Are Such Innnteresting People]

26. Leaving the Island [Parting Words]

27. Oceanic 815

But where's the fun in denotative, descriptive track titles? I de-John Williams-ize my track titles in iTunes to give them a little perspective -- nothing harmful, I just do things like, taking The Lost World for an example, turning "Incident in San Diego" into "Jurassic Godzilla" or "The Trek" into "Malcolm's Easily Tricked".

But where's the fun in denotative, descriptive track titles?

There isn't any! The fun is in the music! :lol: EDIT: And by the way, I think your TLW track titles are fine. They're descriptive without being boring, which is great when it works out. But sometimes it doesn't. But I personally would rather be given a track title that lets me know which piece of music it is than a track title that makes me smirk for a moment.

Official Artwork and soundclips for the Season 4 OST.

i got chills listening to some of those clips. hooray goosebumps!

i really do hope they have the bit of score that plays when ben turns the wheel. i'm not entirely sure but i believe that is the first time we hear Ben's theme in a more heroic statement (as opposed to the sinister tones we are used to).

i really do hope they have the bit of score that plays when ben turns the wheel. i'm not entirely sure but i believe that is the first time we hear Ben's theme in a more heroic statement (as opposed to the sinister tones we are used to).

I'd like to have that on there, too, but it's most definitely not the first time Ben's theme wasn't sinister. Here's a brief history of the theme, actually, since it's one of my favorites from the entire show.

What we currently call Ben's theme was first heard in the season 2 episode "Three Minutes" as Michael prepares to run off to find Walt. That's the last episode of season 2 before the finale. In those last few hours of the season, the theme mostly represents Michael's betrayal; the Others were given a bouncy theme of their own in the same episode. That one always reminds me of sinister hillbillies, which is basically what the Others seemed to be at that point. When season 3 rolled around, Giacchino threw out that theme - he recorded a final statement of it for the big reveal of the Barracks in "A Tale of Two Cities," as heard at the end of the track "In with a Kaboom!", but this was replaced by tracked music in the show. So yeah, the first Others' theme didn't survive past the second season. The theme for Michael's betrayal stepped in as a new and more sinister theme for the Others, and it functioned exclusively that way throughout most of season 3.

Then there was another shakeup. Ben got his outstanding centric episode, "The Man Behind the Curtain," which permenently associated the theme especially with him and introduced a far gentler variation on it. That variation is basically what you're talking about, although for the donkey wheel scene, Giacchino gave it a little more of a heroic urgency.

The track titles are just there so I can get to the piece of music I'm looking for.

True enough, though I prefer the "witty" versions. They might be less descriptive, but they're far more memorable. That, and they always make me smile, or bring to mind moments from the show itself more clearly.

Also, I'm fairly certain that the Frozen Donkey Wheel music will make it in. Looks like the Season 4 soundtrack has almost all of the finale music.

True enough, though I prefer the "witty" versions. They might be less descriptive, but they're far more memorable. That, and they always make me smile, or bring to mind moments from the show itself more clearly.

Oddly enough, the reason I like the descriptive versions is because I find them more memorable, and they bring to mind the corresponding moments of the show far better for me. :P I guess our brains just work differently.

The thing is, when you officially name the tracks on an album that you are releasing, you're basically establishing a common language for the fans of the album to speak in. That's why I think official track titles should always strive to clearly and concisely express which music they're referring to, so that it's easiest to use them in conversation. If there's room for wit from time to time, all the better, but I don't like it to be every track of every album. I exaggerate, but still.

Oh well. I vastly prefer Giacchino's track titles over the extreme version of what I'm suggesting (e.g. "Anakin Closes In On His Destiny: Watto's Deal/Shmi And Qui-Gon Talk"). :lol:

What's this? A CGI model of Disneyland?

LINKY

Beware of backstage spoilers. (And be sure to follow the links on the right, too.) :lol:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/datameister/2395697827/sizes/o/

:blink:

This is wondrously impressive. What a cool and insane and awesome project!

Bender seems to be a great, powerful 3D software-- and I am stunned that it is free.

[/ off topic]

:lol:

So, to entertain myself this weekend, I decided to watch Lost: Via Domus on YouTube. Note that I don't recommend actually PLAYING the game, since it's really short and extremely boring. But the story isn't terrible, and the locations (taken from blueprints drawn by the show's creators) are really nifty. But the best thing about it (really, the only thing that makes it worth looking at) is that Giacchino did the music. Of course, he's no stranger to video game scoring, so it's a top notch soundtrack. The score isn't as solid as the show itself, but it's worth looking at.

A rip of the game is floating around online that's pretty easy to find. They're 320kbps MP3s that were taken directly from the game's files, so the quality isn't going to get any better. Also, they're labeled like most video game music files - which is to say, they aren't in order and don't have proper titles. When I got the rip, I'd never played or even seen the game, so I didn't have a clue how to put the music together... so it was off to YouTube, as I've already mentioned.

I've put together a complete cue list for the game, based upon the series of YouTube videos I watched, which played the game from start to finish. Every sound file is accounted for, which a few exceptions: "jungle03" and "dark02" are identical (my cue list uses dark02); "truth" went unused in the videos I saw; "death" also went unused (but only because the guy I was watching never died); "setup" and "menu" are obviously not in-game music files, so they aren't anywhere on the cue list; "title" is a terrible, terrible version of the Lost logo (I have no idea why it was used, or if Giacchino even recorded it - if you put together your own soundtrack, I'd pull Main Title from one of the show's soundtracks). Oh, and the "BUM!" sound effect at the end of every episode wasn't included either.

That should cover it. There are, however, a couple pieces of music NOT contained in the files - there's a short cue from the game's intro cinematic (as the plane is torn apart) that isn't in the sound files; likewise, the music for Elliot leaving on the boat and later waking up on the beach again aren't in the sound files (as far as I can tell).

Episode 1

---------

- plane crash with unidentified music -

- main title -

01 - Wake01 (Waking Up)

02 - Wake02 (Tree Corpse)

03 - Wake03 (Meeting Kate)

- flashback, rightpicture -

04 - Wake04 (Chasing Vincent)

05 - Crash01 (Exiting The Jungle)

06 - Crash02 (Stopping The Fuel Leak)

07 - Crash03 (The Wing Falls Down)

08 - Aftermath01 (Looking For Luggage on the Beach)

09 - Aftermath02 (Empty Backpack \ Beatdown... *BUM!*LOST)

Episode 2

---------

10 - Beach01 (A New Day Dawns \ Monster?)

- main title -

11 - Beach02 (A Vision of Lisa by the Beach)

12 - Memory01 (FLASHBACK: Elliot & Lisa in Thailand - "Always The Bridesmaid")

13 - Beach03 (Tricking Jack \ JACK IS AN IDIOT)

14 - Jungle01 (Beady Eyes in the Trees)

15 - Jungle02 (Enter Smokey)

16 - Wake03 Again (Meeting Michael)

17 - Cavern01 (Exploring the Cave)

18 - Wreck01 (Discovering the Cockpit)

19 - Wreck02 (Exploring the Cockpit)

20 - Wreck03 (Finding the Camera)

21 - Wreck04 (Elliot Meets The Good Guys)

Episode 3

---------

22 - Camp01 (Elliot Wakes Up \ Update From Hurley)

- main title -

23 - Jungle04 (Going to See Locke at the Hatch)

24 - Jungle05 (Others Ambush)

25 - Hatch01 (Finding the Hatch)

26 - Cavern02 (Entering the Cave with Answers)

27 - Cavern01 Again (Following A Vision of Lisa - "White Rabbit Redux")

28 - Cavern03 (Vision of Lisa with a Bloody Head)

29 - Cavern04 (Elliot Falls)

30 - Cavern05 (Elliot Discovers A Body in the Caves)

31 - Cavern06 (Locke Questions Elliot \ LOCKE IS A DICKWEED)

Episode 4

---------

32 - Beach04, with SFX (Elliot Sees the Explosion)

- main title -

- no music for the staff? -

33 - Jungle06 (Elliot Follows the Compass)

34 - Jungle07 (Another Ambush by the Others)

35 - Hatch02 (Running to Meet Sayid)

36 - Memory02 (FLASHBACK: Rico talks about the Hotel Persephone)

37 - Station01, with SFX (The Swan's door slams shut)

38 - Station02 (Elliot Explores the Swan)

39 - Station03, with SFX (Initiating the Lockdown)

40 - Station04 (Lockdown \ Black Lights)

41 - Station05 (Jack and Sayid Take Elliot Prisoner)

Episode 5

---------

42 - Cavern01, Yet Again (Elliot Wakes Up in His Cell)

43 - Station06 (Lisa Pops Up in the Dark)

- main title -

44 - Station07 (Kate Lets Elliot Out)

45 - Dark 01 (The Monster Attacks Elliot)

46 - Dark 02 (Exploring The Dark Territory \ Dharma Van!)

47 - BlackRock01 (Elliot Nears the Black Rock)

48 - BlackRock02 (Getting Attacked by the Black Rock)

49 - BlackRock03 (Elliot Sees the Black Rock)

50 - BlackRock04 (Finding the Dynamite)

51 - Dark 02, Again (Back into the Dark Territory)

52 - Hatch03 (Under the Waterfall \ The Quintesential "Hatch" Theme)

53 - Hatch04 (Elliot Blows The Door)

54 - Magnet01 (The Incident Room)

55 - Magnet02 (Neutralizing The Reactor)

Episode 6

---------

56 - Run01 (Smokey's Back)

57 - Run02 (Running From Smokey)

58 - Run03 (Face-to-Face With Smokey)

- main title -

59 - Memory03 (FLASHBACK: Elliot Rats Out Lisa)

60 - Run04 (Through the Fence)

- no music for the pearl? -

61 - Light01 (Underneath the Flame)

62 - Light02 (Unlocking the Gate)

63 - Station02, Again (Looking Around the Flame)

64 - Russian01 (Confronting Beady Eyes)

65 - Russian02 (Chatting with Mikhail)

Episode 7

---------

66 - Water01 (Elliot Wakes Up in the Hydra)

- main title -

67 - Memory04 (Lisa at Gunpoint)

68 - Water02, Nearly Identical to Water01 (Tom Lets Elliot Go)

69 - Water03 (Elliot Leaves His Cell)

70 - Station02, Yet Again (Looking Around the Hydra)

71 - Water04 (Lifting the Shark)

70 - Water05 (Examining the Fuse Box)

71 - Water06 (Elliot Meets with Ben)

72 - Aftermath01, Again (Elliot Finds Jack on the Beach)

73 - BlackRock05 (Jack and Elliot Meet with Tom \ Elliot is a Douche)

74 - BlackRock06 (Lisa is Killed \ Seriously, Elliot is an Enormous Douche)

75 - BlackRock07 (Elliot Makes a Tough Choice)

76 - BlackRock08 (Things Go Boom)

77 - Boat01 (Elliot Runs for the Boat)

78 - Boat02 (Locke is by the Boat for No Apparent Reason)

- elliot on the boat with unidentified music, possibly an excerpt of

Aftermath01, beginning at 0:30. also very similar to RightPicture -

- elliot wakes up in the past after 815's crash with unidentified music -

There's two versions of the score. A complete rip and a shorter version with proper track titles. I downloaded the shorter version, because I despise those types of titles that games always get.

I've got the shorter version too. I just don't trust other people's edits, especially since his version wasn't very well documented.

Thanks ,The Trout! I received music from the game a while ago, but have not played it yet (the music, I mean), so I don't know which version I have; your list may be very useful, in any case.

I also forgot to thank you, Datameister, for your Season 1 track titles; as I have said some page before, Giacchino's score for Lost is great, but I don't find his supposedly witty titles witty at all.

I'd like to have that on there, too, but it's most definitely not the first time Ben's theme wasn't sinister. Here's a brief history of the theme, actually, since it's one of my favorites from the entire show.

What we currently call Ben's theme was first heard in the season 2 episode "Three Minutes" as Michael prepares to run off to find Walt. That's the last episode of season 2 before the finale. In those last few hours of the season, the theme mostly represents Michael's betrayal; the Others were given a bouncy theme of their own in the same episode. That one always reminds me of sinister hillbillies, which is basically what the Others seemed to be at that point. When season 3 rolled around, Giacchino threw out that theme - he recorded a final statement of it for the big reveal of the Barracks in "A Tale of Two Cities," as heard at the end of the track "In with a Kaboom!", but this was replaced by tracked music in the show. So yeah, the first Others' theme didn't survive past the second season. The theme for Michael's betrayal stepped in as a new and more sinister theme for the Others, and it functioned exclusively that way throughout most of season 3.

Then there was another shakeup. Ben got his outstanding centric episode, "The Man Behind the Curtain," which permenently associated the theme especially with him and introduced a far gentler variation on it. That variation is basically what you're talking about, although for the donkey wheel scene, Giacchino gave it a little more of a heroic urgency.

thanks for the info data! i was completely unaware of the variation in "Curtain". i'm gonna have to go check that out. also, i'm lovin the "Musical themes" page on lostpedia which, as you stated earlier, you had a part in.

Here's one thing I'm surprised no one's mentioned in any conversation I've been part of. Horace, of course, died in the Purge, which took place in 1992, some 25 years after the time period we're currently seeing him in. But we saw his body sitting on a bench in "The Man Behind the Curtain," and, well...he didn't look 25 years older. In fact, he just looked like he'd gotten a haircut. That sound like anyone else in a quasi-leadership position in a major faction on the Island? Very interesting...

On an unrelated note, I'm glad the S4 soundtrack seems to favor the score to the season finale - I thought a lot of the musical highlights of that season were in the finale.

EDIT: And you're welcome, folks. =) (AlohaBlunts, you can also hear a similar version in "The Shape of Things to Come," for instance, during Alex's death scene.)

Here's one thing I'm surprised no one's mentioned in any conversation I've been part of. Horace, of course, died in the Purge, which took place in 1992, some 25 years after the time period we're currently seeing him in. But we saw his body sitting on a bench in "The Man Behind the Curtain," and, well...he didn't look 25 years older. In fact, he just looked like he'd gotten a haircut. That sound like anyone else in a quasi-leadership position in a major faction on the Island? Very interesting...

It's probably a continuity error.

It probably was at the time. But they put a heck of a lot of effort into making Roger Linus look older...seems kinda suspicious that they'd just forget to do the same for the only other actor who was in Ben's childhood and adulthood flashbacks for that episode. And considering the "Mr. Alpert"/"Mr. Goodspeed" exchange this season, and the fact they are both in leadership-like positions, and the fact that Richard's agelessness was also introduced in "The Man Behind the Curtain"...

Horace did, too. :blink:

It's, what, 15 years between 1977 and the purge? I'd say Horace was just aging gracefully. Now, if there was a flashback to the 50's with him looking the same, I'd be suspicious.

I'm interested in knowing how Horace got that map to Jacob's cabin. It was in his pocket when he died.

He built the cabin.

Yes, but how did Jacob come to reside there? Presumably he's been around before the cabin was built.

Somehow from the promos I was under the impression we were going to get new footage to show another "perspective" ,not just a plain re-cap

I'm not even gonna watch the recap. 8O

And I agree that the remainder of the season is going to be "straight explosive awesomeness," if for no other reason than the fact that this entire season has been so far. Y'know, I've reluctantly gotten somewhat jaded about creative integrity in the business world and so forth over the last few years, but it's really nice to have something like Lost as a counterexample. It's just so consistently awesome.

Still , Lost being a complicated show , I find it useful to watch the recap episodes with narration. You get a summary of the "big picture"

They're useless since I'm already so involved in the show. But maybe they help for the not so focused viewers.

I liked the one that had Damon and Carlton talking about the show rather than a narrator. All this one did was put the Season 4/Season 5 events in order. So we saw Kate give Aaron to Claire's mother, then appear in Jack's room. Same with Ben getting beat up by Desmond then calling Jack.

That reminds me...once the show is finished, I SO want to take every scene from every episode and edit them all into chronological order. Obviously, it'd be terrible if they'd aired it that way, but it'd be very interesting to watch. You'd have a few seasons of flashbacks (and DHARMA stuff) first, and then the modern-day events on the Island...it'd be pretty weird.

Yeah it would be weird :P You'd have to edit Claire's birth to include Sawyer in there.

Actually I don't think you could do that, Datameister. Too many story lines to fit into a linear story. You'd have to tell Desmond's story with the 815 stories. Like you'd need to show him seeing Locke slamming on the hatch at the same time we're seeing Locke do it.