Lost

Mr. Breathmask

Well I am, and I think it's great too.

Speaking of which, did anyone else notice the theme for Daniel and Charlotte? It first caught my attention in the earlier episodes (like "Jughead," and maybe "This Place is Death"), and then it played again in the last episode when Daniel was talking to little Charlotte, making me pretty certain it represents their relationship. Also, the Hawking theme got some nice renditions in "The Variable."

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I know the theme you're talking about. I wish the older episodes were still up so I could compare! ;) Very pretty.

And while I'm absolutely loving the music for this season, I definitely wouldn't call it the best the show's had. The first season introduced SO many amazing themes, many of which are still in brilliant use, and the second and third seasons didn't disappoint, either. Season 4 probably had the worst scoring, IMO...but it just goes to show how awesome the show's scores are in general, because I'm greatly looking forward to that "worst" CD! :D

I know anything with a hint of rhythm used in action music is automatically hated these days, but that bit when Radrussiannamednerdguy and his cronies come up to attack Farday, Kate, and Jack....was great. Good example of how it's not rhythmic action that sucks.

I agree wholeheartedly. That was a musical moment that really caught my attention. Fit the tone of the scene, felt like part of the musical soundscape of the show, but didn't feel totally derivative or anything. I was annoyed by the "Expose" action music used during the gunfight, though. I love the gunfight, I love that music, and I love the scene it was originally written for, but I'd rather hear something new in that context. ::shrug:: Oh well.

With all the movies Giacchino has been scoring, maybe he isn't available to compose as much music for LOST as he used to, and they have to track existing stuff in from time to time

Well, tracked music is nothing new for Lost - it's happened intermittently since early in the first season. I don't think there's ever been an episode with NO new music, though.

Mine's already preordered! Just a couple more weeks. Can't wait to hear the O6's theme played in full in CD quality. I loooove that theme. It's sad and happy all at the same time. The highlight for me, though, is gonna be "The Constant." Finally, a full, glorious, moving rendition of Desmond's theme, my favorite theme on the show. I've listened to that scene on the DVD several times - even with dialogue over it, that music is just soul-wrenchingly awesome.

I want to preorder mine, but I'm probably going to end up getting the Star Trek OST, too, and I'd like to get free shipping, and I'm not going to order Star Trek until I see the film, hear the music, and know that it's worth buying...

Haha, I just noticed something awesome! ;) I was re-watching "Dead is Dead," and I realized that the very first cue in the episode features a slow variation on the Others' "hillbilly theme" from the second season, as young Richard rides into the Others' camp! So cool!

EDIT: And I knew it! For another instance of waterphone in the show, watch "Dead is Dead" and listen after Ben tells Charles, "You do it." This is after he's brought back baby Alex.

Watching an episode from last season right now. It's rare when I get a chance to catch old episodes and it's amazing how many little hints make sense now. I can't remember the name of this episode (the data on my TV is wrong) but it's where Desmond and Sayid reach the boat and Desmond slips back and forth through time and tries to get Faraday to help him. Funny to think how crucial the "time slipping" would be.

I must admit, I don't understand all the love for "The Constant." I didn't think it was a bad episode, but it certainly wouldn't make my list of my top ten episodes of the show.

Vaderbait1, why don't you just watch the show online? All the episodes of season 1 through 4 are available freely and legally on abc.com, as well as the four most recent episodes of season 5. As you've noted, it's really interesting to re-watch older episodes and catch the hints!

I must admit, I don't understand all the love for "The Constant." I didn't think it was a bad episode, but it certainly wouldn't make my list of my top ten episodes of the show.

Finally, someone else! I think it's a great episode for sure, and the phone call at the end between Desmond and Penny is certainly one of the show's most emotional moments, but it's not one of my top picks overall.

The latest Official LOST Podcast confirms that Daniel Faraday is dead. Not much else of interest was really relayed

Oh good, "Time and Time Again" has that great first statement of the freighter theme when it's actually associated with the freighter! I mean, you hear it in the Tunisian desert when Charlotte finds the polar bear, but that's before it's really associated with the Kahana. And good news for a number of posters: "Of Mice and Ben" does indeed contain the somewhat sinister second statement of the O6 theme with the trombone crescendos!

They really did a good job of picking the right music for this OST, I think. The semi-sad part of that is that a whopping 12 of the 26 tracks are just from the finale alone...but honestly, I think that's where a lot of S4's musical highlights were, and I wouldn't want them to have omitted any of the finale stuff they included.

And good news for a number of posters: "Of Mice and Ben" does indeed contain the somewhat sinister second statement of the O6 theme with the trombone crescendos!

Yeah, and that cue is just heart-wrenchingly beautiful. I actually yelled at my computer when the clip faded out. I'm more jazzed for this CD now than I've ever been.

It's a great musical moment, for sure. I'm happy to say that, as is almost ALWAYS the case with Giacchino's music, the O6 theme has grown on me immensely since I first heard it. At first, it just sounded to me like...another Lost theme. Kind of a pastiche of all the more sentimental themes we'd already heard in the show. Took me a while to hear it as its own unique and lovely leitmotif. I really like some of the ways he's adapted it in season 5, too...can't wait for the S5 soundtrack, which I'm sure will include at least one or two of those.

I wonder if someone

took John's body to ole smokey before everyone got their bearings after the crash?

Anyone else catch Giacchino's use of "The Shipyards of Lorient" from Medal of Honor: Frontline to represent the sub once again?

He also used it in The Man from Tallahassee when Locke boards the sub before blowing it up.

Wow. I'm so pumped for the finale now! Everything is set up for it to be pretty kick-ass.

I certainly wasn't expecting Locke to want to bring everyone to Jacob, or for him to want to kill him

I'm thinking there's a piece of the story we haven't seen yet, something to do with when we last saw Locke and when he showed up at Richard's camp at the beginning of this episode. He had to get his ideas from somewhere.

I wonder if it has anything to do with the "Shadow of the Statue" people

Yeah it was a great set up. Everything is in place to kick some ass. I thought Sayid's return was abrupt. Out of nowhere he saves the day with his new hair dew. At first I thought Jack was the one who got shot.

I wish I was more familiar with Giacchino's themes. I felt like the whole episode was full of them, but the only one I recognized was the traveling theme at the end of the episode that I first noticed back in the S3 finale

Anyone else catch Giacchino's use of "The Shipyards of Lorient" from Medal of Honor: Frontline to represent the sub once again?

He also used it in The Man from Tallahassee when Locke boards the sub before blowing it up.

Ah, so THAT'S where it's from! I heard unfamiliar music playing during the sub scenes and thought it sounded too "constructed" to just be random underscore. At the time, I thought, "Wait, Mikey composed a theme for the SUB?"

Well, now I know.

And yes, this episode was awesomesauce. And call me a sap, but the Sawyer / Juliet material was some of my favorite in the show. Another highlight was Miles seeing Chang angrily shove his wife onto the sub, along with Miles' dawning realization that his dad really wasn't an asshole - he was honestly just trying to save the lives of his wife and child. "He had to... it was the only way..." "Sorry, dude." SO GREAT.

Yeah, I'm a sucker for the emotional beats. Wacky time travel stuff is fun too, but I gotta have some heart.

I wish I was more familiar with Giacchino's themes. I felt like the whole episode was full of them, but the only one I recognized was the traveling theme at the end of the episode that I first noticed back in the S3 finale

Locke was awesomely introduced with his theme.

God damn I want to see the finale right now! :)

They're always good, always awesome, and it's been a year since the last one! Looks like from the preview that

Locke is gonna have Ben kill Jacob for him. He said something along the lines of "Are you sure you can go through with this?" and there was a shot of Ben unsheathing a knife.

Also a

nice little war between Jack and Sayid, and Sawyer, Kate and Juliet.

A wild guess on my part for the fate of Radzinsky. Maybe he finally offed himself because he couldn't live with the fact that he pushed for more drilling and caused the whole Incident.

Goodness, I love this show! :D

Great, great, GREAT episode. Might be my favorite pre-season-finale episode of this show thus far. This is going to be one heck of an "Incident."

I was going to bring up the submarine music - while I'm not familiar with the MOH scores (sadly), I knew that it was used in the scene in "The Man from Tallahassee," and I recognized the same theme, so I figured that had to be it.

I laughed out loud throughout the scene involving Dr. Chang questioning Hurley. It was great from the very start, but once he asked who the president was, I was truly ROFLing. Nicely, nicely done. :lol: And the twist at the end was...definitely unexpected. Delightfully so. I'm REALLY curious to see where this all leads. (The weird thing is...I can't shake the feeling that at some point, the idea of killing Jacob occurred to me, for some reason...maybe it was a dream. The Island must have told me!)

Man. This show. I feel such pity for the many viewers who gave up when the show started changing from a simple survival-on-an-Island-with-polar-bears-and-loud-noises show into...something even better.

EDIT: And Jason, I love educating people on the themes of Lost...so if you want, I can totally type up a complete list of all uses of themes in that episode when I watch it again tomorrow. Also, I'm hoping to record myself playing, like, every single theme on piano at some point...it'll be really interesting to see if I can squeeze them all into YouTube's 10-minute limit. :lol:

Hey man, their loss.

I'm beginning to think Jacob, Christian, and the Island are three separate entities. Jacob and Christian both being enemies possibly fighting for the island, and the island having a mind of its own wanting them gone.

Christian really throws the whole thing for a loop. Let us not forget that he is very much in the same category as Locke - dead man arrives on the Island in a coffin on a plane, then proceeds to get out of that coffin and start walking around as if he is very much alive. And Christian seems to at least consider himself worthy of speaking for Jacob...and now Locke seems to consider himself worthy of killing Jacob...delusions of grandeur, much? What's also puzzling is that Christian kind of...knowingly pushed Locke into these circumstances, so it's not like they could really be in direct competition with each other.

Jacob is a real mystery, but everything we've seen so far seems to indicate that he and the Island are totally united in purpose. (The thing that's weird is how Horace apparently built the cabin, which lends a strangely mortal air to Jacob...) Then Richard is yet ANOTHER party in all this. Ostensibly, he can be wounded or killed - notice how he does put his hands up when threatened at gunpoint - but he's ageless. And he seems to know where Jacob is.

Bah. It's all very confusing. But I'm sure the producers have got at least most of it all worked out. There are probably some bits and pieces that'll never make sense because they were created before the "game plan" for the rest of the show was worked out. But I think we're gonna get some serious answers in "The Incident"...and probably some even more serious questions. :lol: I hope we find out where Locke went in "Dead is Dead"...seems rather important.

You mean when he walked into the jungle and came out knowing where The Temple was?

Christian is tricky because of his whole situation, it's obviously not the real life Christian that was Jack's father. Or is it? He told Locke to say "hi" to his son, and then there's the whole thing with Claire. Jacob has to have a physical form, and hopefully this finale will help sort out who is who. So it'll be clear and easy to differentiate between Jacob, Richard, Christian, the Island and the Smoke monster. Those 5 are the big unknowns in the equation that is LOST.

You mean when he walked into the jungle and came out knowing where The Temple was?

Yup. Something rather important happened. I'm looking forward to finding out what it was...probably next week, but maybe it'll wait till next season.

Christian is tricky because of his whole situation, it's obviously not the real life Christian that was Jack's father. Or is it? He told Locke to say "hi" to his son, and then there's the whole thing with Claire.

Yeah, it's confusing. But...dead is dead. The producers have said so...Ben has said so...and I say both Christian and Locke really are...dead. But thanks to the Island, death is affording them some rather unusual opportunities. They retain memories of their former lives and the bulk of their major personality traits, but they're changed. Richard even commented on it.

Jacob has to have a physical form, and hopefully this finale will help sort out who is who. So it'll be clear and easy to differentiate between Jacob, Richard, Christian, the Island and the Smoke monster. Those 5 are the big unknowns in the equation that is LOST.

Well, I'd say the monster isn't that big of a mystery in and of itself anymore...we don't know its origins, but we know what it does, for the most part. It protects the Temple and the Island in general, slurping up people's memories, judging them, projecting their memories into tangible forms, killing people it deems unworthy...it's obviously very, very old, and tied directly to the Island. What's a bigger mystery is how the Egyptians tie into all this stuff.

EDIT: Also...I'm VERY much looking forward to seeing if my way of seeing understanding time travel (the Novikov self-consistency principle, aka THE RIGHT WAY!) or your way, Koray, will prevail. Next week, I'm pretty sure we're going to be confronted with pretty strong evidence in one direction or the other. Either they're going to succeed and nuke the Swan site, thereby proving that the past CAN be changed in Lost (:mad:), or they're going to somehow manage to fail, allowing 1977-2004 to pass exactly the way they did, and making it seem pretty likely that the past cannot be changed after all.

On an unrelated note, I think I've finally come to terms with the "new" Ben. By that I mean the Ben who is no longer a leader of the Others. I really enjoyed watching him lead them in S3, and I desperately missed that in S4. He seemed kinda...declawed. "The Shape of Things to Come" was an appropriate turning point, I'd say, and he's gotten steadily more awesome ever since. But it definitely took me a while to come to FULLY accept him as someone who's not really an Other. It's kind of fun seeing him left in the dark so much, yet still crafty and manipulative. I expect great things from him.

And Richard...I'm happily surprised to be enjoying him not seeming so...omniscient. Before, he was even more mysterious. He didn't age...he always seemed to be in control...always knew what was going on...but he's been left in the dark repeatedly during this season, held at gunpoint, etc. And I've actually enjoyed it. Still seems like the same Richard...still a very compelling character, but one who might turn out slightly differently than I thought.

The latest episode was indeed very interesting. Here they tackled the always important leader issues again as well as faith. Jack turned into a believer, Kate rejected faith in Jack because she obviously thought that too much good had come from the whole time they had been on the Island. I feel that she is partly right. They have all faced their past, their demons and grown as people throught their experiences. To her it is offensive that Jack would like to erase that past 3 years just like that as if they did not mean anything to him. Jack and Sayid who have been tortured with personal demons decide to make the leap of faith even though Sayid seems a bit indifferent to the outcome. The whole triangle of Sawyer, Kate and Juliet's is back. The look in Juliet's eyes when Kate was brought into the sub was very telling.

I loved the way Locke is so full of purpose. He seems to be driven, determined. Crocodile Locke who stompped out from the jungle with a boar on his shoulders was a great image coupled with Giacchino's score. Both Ben and Richard are obviously worried as if some delicate plan hidden even from the Others will unravel when Locke seeks Jacob. Perhaps killing Jacob is a metaphor, perhaps killing is setting him free from what is keeping him on the Island and that is why he asked Locke to help him. Also Jacob himself seems to be to an extent a metaphor of a false god, Richard and Ben the false priesthood, claiming to be the messengers of Jacob's will but instead ruling and controlling the Others for their own purposes as they see fit. The way Locke sort of barged in so suddenly and rocked the boat made those two very nervous. Perhaps Locke stumbled on their secret purpose and will unravel it to their disadvantage, perhaps Ben and Richard fear that in his rashness Locke might cause more damage than good to all of them with his actions. I am sure exciting things will follow :lol:

And poor Ben :lol: He is so deprived of power somehow. Almost like a sulky schoolboy following Locke obediently and sometimes whining and sometimes genuienly in awe of him. Still there is the old schemer behind all this new humility. You can see how much it bothers him that he is not the one in charge of all things anymore.

Christian is a sticky wicket. Clearly he must be an animated corpse sometimes, like Locke is now, if only because we've seen the empty coffin. He also knows who he is, given that he goes to see Aaron/Claire and refers to Jack frequently as his son. On the other hand, he can also be an apparition, as he appeared on the freighter to tell Michael he was finally done. So he's mostly a physical being except when he needs to not be? In any event, if one assumes that it was the Island keeping Michael alive, as the Others seemed to believe, then Christian telling Michael that he could finally die is a message from the Island. Thus, Christian works for the Island. But Christian clearly ALSO works for Jacob.

Locke is reanimated in almost the exact same way as Christian, though is so far acting far more "human." He also (apparently) is working for the Island... but NOT for Jacob? Or perhaps he was supposed to work for Jacob and has suddenly gone rogue, much to Jacob's chagrin? Locke really is the wild card in this situation, as he usually is.

It's also fun to see Ben and Richard almost on the same page again, as if Richard was like, "Damn, I shoulda stuck it out with Ben - this bald guy's gonna kill us all!" And then, of course, there's the revelation (well, the confirmation, really) that Ben never really saw Jacob at all. Which is, of course, why he tried to kill Locke in season three - he couldn't let Locke tell anyone what happened at the Cabin. In any many ways, Ben was INDEED the man behind the curtain - the Wizard of Oz. He kept everyone in check by proclaiming the all-powerful Jacob's will, but it was really only Ben's will all along. This is, of course, what many people already assumed. But that look from Ben when Locke asked him point-blank last night whether or not he'd actually ever seen Jacob said it all.

I suspect that Richard was in on the conspiracy the whole time - he actually seems quite keen on usurping Jacob's power and using Jacob's name as a bargaining tool to get what he wants. On the other hand, he's clearly also SCARED of Jacob, so...

What makes you claim that Richard wants to overthrow Jacob?

What makes you claim that he is scared of Jacob?

Jacob has to have a physical form, and hopefully this finale will help sort out who is who. So it'll be clear and easy to differentiate between Jacob, Richard, Christian, the Island and the Smoke monster. Those 5 are the big unknowns in the equation that is LOST.

Well, I'd say the monster isn't that big of a mystery in and of itself anymore...we don't know its origins, but we know what it does, for the most part. It protects the Temple and the Island in general, slurping up people's memories, judging them, projecting their memories into tangible forms, killing people it deems unworthy...it's obviously very, very old, and tied directly to the Island. What's a bigger mystery is how the Egyptians tie into all this stuff.

Yeah we kinda know it's purpose and origins, but we really can't identify it. I meant those 5 in their physical form is confusing. Is Christian just the monster taking his form? Stuff like that. Once we learn who Jacob is and what he is capable of, hopefully next week, we'll be able to make clear distinctions.

EDIT: Also...I'm VERY much looking forward to seeing if my way of seeing understanding time travel (the Novikov self-consistency principle, aka THE RIGHT WAY!) or your way, Koray, will prevail. Next week, I'm pretty sure we're going to be confronted with pretty strong evidence in one direction or the other. Either they're going to succeed and nuke the Swan site, thereby proving that the past CAN be changed in Lost (:mad:), or they're going to somehow manage to fail, allowing 1977-2004 to pass exactly the way they did, and making it seem pretty likely that the past cannot be changed after all.

Like Faraday said, there is free will. Locke could have easily changed the past by not telling Richard to go take the bullet out of his own leg. I'm sure it'll turn up your theory in the show, but who knows? Richard said he saw all of them die. Maybe Jack does nuke the whole place.

On an unrelated note, I think I've finally come to terms with the "new" Ben. By that I mean the Ben who is no longer a leader of the Others. I really enjoyed watching him lead them in S3, and I desperately missed that in S4. He seemed kinda...declawed. "The Shape of Things to Come" was an appropriate turning point, I'd say, and he's gotten steadily more awesome ever since. But it definitely took me a while to come to FULLY accept him as someone who's not really an Other. It's kind of fun seeing him left in the dark so much, yet still crafty and manipulative. I expect great things from him.

I think the term "The Others" is kinda obsolete :lol: It only really makes sense if you're talking about events in previous seasons. Like who the hell actually started the black smoke in the Season 1 finale? The Others or Danielle?

And Richard...I'm happily surprised to be enjoying him not seeming so...omniscient. Before, he was even more mysterious. He didn't age...he always seemed to be in control...always knew what was going on...but he's been left in the dark repeatedly during this season, held at gunpoint, etc. And I've actually enjoyed it. Still seems like the same Richard...still a very compelling character, but one who might turn out slightly differently than I thought.

I'm glad we got to see so much of Richard this episode. What I found weird was he didn't seem scared of Faraday, and actually was mad at Eloise for killing him. Yet, when Sayid killed one of their thugs, he was mad at Eloise for not caring.

At some point Richard's skin is going to split open and he'll reveal his true form

I also fear the writers have written themselves into a hole with the Time Travel...there were too many PoA moments in this episode and simultaneous time lines existing

At some point Richard's skin is going to split open and he'll reveal his true form

Yes aliens, aliens every one of them! :lol:

Interesting note about Ben/Jacob relationship from the creators of the show from Lostpedia:

According to commentary for "The Man Behind the Curtain" on the Season 3 DVD by producers Carlton Cuse and Damon Lindelof, the circle of ash around Jacob's cabin is "a bit of a kind of protection or magic or kind of containment. Ben is afraid to touch it. In a certain way, part of the idea here is that Ben has some powers over Jacob, and Jacob has some powers over Ben, and there is a bit of a stasis."

So Ben is obviously in Jacob's favour somehow but how much he has used Jacob to justify his actions to the Others and how much of his orders have truly come from Jacob is an interesting question.

I wonder what are they controlling with this "magic circle"? Jacob? His existence on the normal plane? His powers?

I forgot about that circle. Perhaps Jacob got out of it and now has free will. The last time we actually "saw" Jacob was in that original place, and all times after that have been Christian.

I want to know how his damn shoes fit in to all of this!

Didn't Jacob tell Locke to help him when they met at the cabin?

Perhaps killing him will set him free

?