Lost

Mr. Breathmask

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For all we know this isn't even Locke. "Dead is dead, you can't come back from that." Christian certainly isn't the same man he once was, and Richard noticed something different in Locke before he even spoke.

Well, he's still Locke, in a sense. But yeah, he's...different.

Jack's reaction to seeing him again is gonna be precious. Could be the closest thing they get to a hug since that uber-awkward time they were rolling around on the ground after Locke pulled Jack up from that cliff in "White Rabbit"! ;)

Both Jack and Locke have suddenly become very determined. Jack has finally found his faith and shaken off the passive stance has had since they arrived. It is as he was waiting for something to happen. He once again rose to be a leader, a mover of things. And Locke is following his faith. I do not think he has lost his way in believing in the Island but he is focused on settling things with Jacob and in so doing with Ben and Richard. Seems like he now knows things about Jacob and the Island that make him act like he is acting. What I meant in an earlier post about the "false god" is not that Jacob is a figment of Ben's or Richard's imagination or a really long continuing scam but that either one or both have used Jacob as justification of their actions and for controlling people while there has been very little proof of his actual will or wishes. Few people have ever talked to him and vice versa and he has been very isolated from the Others which only adds the mystery to him.

I think Locke is trying to prove something to the Others by taking all of them to witness his confrontation with Jacob. It would seem he is trying to expose him in some way or to set him free or destroy him because it was what Jacob asked of him. The words Jacob said to Locke in the cabin were "Help me." and that really can be interpreted in many ways. Also the Island could have told him how to act now that has returned as he claims to know what the Island wants. Who knows... yet. ;) It will be a great season to come. Ben's and Richard's reactions indicate that some plans have been jeopardized because of this very radical turn of events.

Christian is still a bit ambiguous character to me. He is obviously trying to help Locke in his work as well as Sun. His motives of course are hidden. I do not think Locke has been changed in a very dramatic way not so that he would be entirely a different entity now. Who knows if Ben's comment "Dead is dead, you don't get to come back from that" is accurate or that he knows the full potential of the Island. To me Locke seems like his old self who found himself healed after the crash and thought there was a reason for their being on the Island. He has the same or even higher conviction of that now. And Ben is very envious of Locke who has usurped what he sees as his rightful place as the leader of the Others, Locke has found the favour of the Island which Ben never did and has taken surprisingly strong control of the situation among the Others. And of course Ben is in distress because he is not in charge anymore, he is asking the questions and getting similar half answers he has been giving the Losties in the past. The Smokey appearing in the form of Alex was the final show of importance of Locke and bound Ben to him with forced loyalty for the sake of the memory of his daughter and the threat made by Smokey or the Island itself.

Also intriguing is this third party who is interested in the Island and who approached Miles before he left for the Island. They are obviously on the Island now in the present time and we do not know their agenda yet apart from them being extremely determined to achieve it. What lies in the shadow of the statue is a good question and as it has been underlined twice already that might be the big thing next season. The final battle for the Island between several factions both in the past and present.

But if you travel into the future, you can see what someone is going to do and thus know it in advance, even though they still have free will.

Interesting point. Sounds logical.

Let me rephrase what I said to make it slightly more accurate: Once you already know what people's free will leads them to do because you've already seen it happen, you don't change that. Because it's what happened. You could decide to change it, but either you won't make that decision or you'll try and fail.

That was where I supposed a lack (or illusion) of free will. But when you consider free will relative to the chooser, as you have above, it makes sense.

It seemed rather malevolent to me, in that he's concerned with taking Jacob out and becoming the new supreme authority and not helping his friends.

Oh, I never said his own intentions aren't malevolent. Doesn't necessarily mean though that he's not sincere when he promises Sun to reunite her with Jin. His malevolence may not be directed at her (in any way) and (lucky for her) have the side effects she's pursuing.

Amazon shipped the Season 4 OST yesterday, so I'm bubbling with anticipation. To prepare myself, I went through Season 3's OST again and stopped at "Ocean's Apart." For all intents and purposes, it's a concert suite of Juliet's Theme. Listening to it, I began to ponder what other OST tracks are essentially just formal presentations of a particular theme, i.e., if I was putting together a concert program, which tracks could almost be considered concert suites? Well, since the character of Juliet these days instantly brings to mind Sawyer, I went looking for HIS theme.

But Sawyer's theme? Not on any of the CDs. Oooh, I know! How about the theme for his past, used to such great effect in "The Brig." Nope, not there either. Apparently, Sawyer gets the soundtrack shaft. In point of fact, I'm having a hard time remember what his themes even are, given that they aren't very easy to find to begin with. Curse you, Varese! With poor Sawyer's luck, I suspect his love theme will inevitably be missing in action too, come the season five CD.

That's correct. Sawyer's theme has never shown up on any of the soundtracks, sadly. Same goes for the much rarer theme for the business with the original "Saywer." However, I do suspect that his love theme (and maybe even his main theme!) will show up on the S5 OST, whenever that comes out. The love theme is more fully developed than his main theme, which is just four notes, ever has been. I'm just annoyed that they left his main theme off the S3 OST...they claimed it contained the complete score to "Through the Looking Glass," but it was actually missing a very short cue that includes the theme! :) It's like...a conspiracy. :)

It's the Han Solo and the Princess of Lost

How so? Williams included it on the Empire OST from the get-go. He just forgot about it later :sleepy:

My pre-ordered S4 OST showed up today. It's pretty much fantastic, though frustrating at points. Old themes like Sawyer's that still haven't been heard on CD are still missing, and even a couple new S4 themes (for Daniel, as well as Freighter Scientist Team) didn't show up. At least Daniel's theme, though, should be a lock for the eventual S5 disc.

On the other hand, Michael and Walt's theme appears on CD for the first time, and gets a whole track to itself, which is nice. And while it's easy to argue about notable omissions, almost all the music chosen for this OST is pretty solid. One can really only complain that it's a single disc instead of two. Seems like we're getting shorted a little after the awesomeness of the S3 OST.

EDIT: Also forgot to mention: "Locke of the Island" is an impressive achievement for television scoring. Clocking in at 7:07 in a pretty big deal in a media known for cues that rarely top two minutes. It also has what may be the only instance in history of Ben's theme being played heroically.

I agree, I'm definitely enjoying the S4 OST. Nice to have Michael and Walt's theme finally represented...and a good thing it happened now, too, since we'll probably never hear it again on the show! =/

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I'm very glad "There's No Place Like Home" (the episode, not the track) got so much attention on this release. I obtain more enjoyment from those tracks than from the rest of the disc, as I do when I watch the show. Don't get me wrong - the rest of the disc is worth it, too. But for me, this is one case in which the season finale vastly exceeds the rest of the season in terms of scoring. (In terms of episode quality, too, with a few exceptions.)

Whatever happened to Annie? Was she just some unimportant part of Ben's childhood? I would imagine if she had any part of the main show we would have seen her again in the Dharma Initiative.

Although there was that rumor way back in like Season 3 that Kate was Annie, and that apparently it was confirmed by the producers or writers or someone. I'm pretty sure that was a fake, even though there was some good points to back it up.

At some point, the producers said Annie would be very important later in the show, I believe. Also recall Harper's comment to Juliet - the latter says, "[ben's] been really helpful," to which the former replies, "Of course...you look just like her." I don't know if there's been any confirmation that she was referring to Annie, but that's what I assumed. She was apparently very important to him. I hadn't heard about the Kate thing, and I doubt that's true...STRONGLY doubt it.

The official news of it is somewhere in the Lostpedia forums. I was just there but don't feel like going back and finding it again :P

I think it was Cuse who said they didn't expect anyone to make the Kate-Annie connection so early, and that Annie is definitely a major part of the show. Lindelof then said that he (the guy who made the connection) may be on to them.

The major points I recall being made were that Anne is Kate's middle name and that she used Annie as one of her aliases. They definitely share physical similarities and they both like Apollo candy bars. Kate also told Jack in Season 1 that she was sinking on the beach, and that she used to do it as a kid with her mother. I believe Kate supposedly grew up in Iowa, and I don't know of any beaches near there. Her father was in the military, and we all know now that they were on the island at one point.

I can believe it. I also forgot about that comment, "you look just like her." But Juliet doesn't look like Annie :cool: You could also argue what Ben did for Kate after they were captured at the beginning of Season 3 was because she is Annie. Allowed her a shower, gave her a nice dress and a meal.

What was up with that thing between Ben and Jack in early Season 3? I think he said something like "Why do you think she (Juliet) bears such a close resemblance to your ex-wife?"

I think it was Cuse who said they didn't expect anyone to make the Kate-Annie connection so early, and that Annie is definitely a major part of the show. Lindelof then said that he (the guy who made the connection) may be on to them.

The major points I recall being made were that Anne is Kate's middle name and that she used Annie as one of her aliases. They definitely share physical similarities and they both like Apollo candy bars. Kate also told Jack in Season 1 that she was sinking on the beach, and that she used to do it as a kid with her mother. I believe Kate supposedly grew up in Iowa, and I don't know of any beaches near there. Her father was in the military, and we all know now that they were on the island at one point.

Interesting. Hmmm....keep in mind, though, that Kate would have gotten off the Island at a pretty young age, since there was that childhood sweetheart of hers...unless he was on the Island, too...

I also forgot about that comment, "you look just like her." But Juliet doesn't look like Annie :cool:

Neither does Kate! :P

You could also argue what Ben did for Kate after they were captured at the beginning of Season 3 was because she is Annie. Allowed her a shower, gave her a nice dress and a meal.

Then he forced her to break rocks on a runway in that dress! Seems a stretch to me.

What was up with that thing between Ben and Jack in early Season 3? I think he said something like "Why do you think she (Juliet) bears such a close resemblance to your ex-wife?"

Ben wanted to "break" Jack, to get him to trust Juliet because of her charm and her resemblance to his ex-wife, who he'd become so obsessed with. Then she could get him to want to operate on Ben.

Interesting. Hmmm....keep in mind, though, that Kate would have gotten off the Island at a pretty young age, since there was that childhood sweetheart of hers...unless he was on the Island, too...

Yeah that crossed my mind. How old were they when they did the recording thing and buried it under the tree? Around 8 years old? Or was it a little older? That could debunk the whole theory right there because a different actress provided the voice for young Kate. Although there is that one thing about tomorrow's episode... Jason would know, it was in the press release he posted. Definitely a spoiler, so I'll stop talking about it right now.

I also forgot about that comment, "you look just like her." But Juliet doesn't look like Annie :cool:

Neither does Kate! :P

Yes she does! :P She's got the freckles and a similar smirk. It's totally plausible.

Ben wanted to "break" Jack, to get him to trust Juliet because of her charm and her resemblance to his ex-wife, who he'd become so obsessed with. Then she could get him to want to operate on Ben.

Ah, okay. That makes sense.

I really, REALLY don't think that Annie is Kate. It makes very little sense at this point. I'd always assumed she was just there to develop Ben's character, and that he likely found her body after the Dharmacide and shed a little tear.

Also, I'd take anything that Damon and Carlton say with an enormous grain of salt, since their podcast and interview answers are frequently just tongue-in-check nonsense. Note that in the last podcast, they mentioned that Jacob was a 60-foot-tall man made of fire.

Hahaha, that was great. I love their podcasts

Oh yeah, the Lost audio podcast is HILARIOUS, though it often contains no real information. Almost every question is answered with tongue firmly in cheek, because honestly, they can't give any real answers without spoiling the show.

Oh yeah, the Lost audio podcast is HILARIOUS, though it often contains no real information. Almost every question is answered with tongue firmly in cheek, because honestly, they can't give any real answers without spoiling the show.

They did give a fairly detailed and serious discussion about the compass that is traded between Richard and Locke.

I really, REALLY don't think that Annie is Kate. It makes very little sense at this point. I'd always assumed she was just there to develop Ben's character, and that he likely found her body after the Dharmacide and shed a little tear.

Kate probably isn't Annie, or else she'd have to be the same age as Ben. Is Ben too young to be Kate's father? There was that thing back when she didn't know who her real father was.

Either way, I seriously doubt we'll never see or her of that character again.

They did give a fairly detailed and serious discussion about the compass that is traded between Richard and Locke.

yea, that was interesting stuff

My friend told me something that Michael Emerson said about the finale, and I think I spoiled it for myself :P Oh well, I'd still probably be blown away by how I think it's gonna end. 13 minutes until the recap, I'm gonna head out now and be back to theorize away at 11.

When Locke said he was going to kill Jacob I had a feeling that wasn't Locke.

Then who the eff was it? Apparently that guy who talked to Jacob at the beginning of the episode. I have a feeling that same guy is who we've been seeing in Jacob's cabin this whole time, because the real Jacob doesn't actually look much like the guy we saw.

Presumably the bomb went (and Jacob died). What's going to happen now that that's occurred is anyone's guess. I didn't think either of the plans (blowing up the bomb and killing Jacob) would actually work, turns out both of them did.

well,it's clear that all the castaways going to the island in the first place wasn't a coincidence and Jacob had something to do with it

Presumably the bomb went (and Jacob died). What's going to happen now that that's occurred is anyone's guess. I didn't think either of the plans (blowing up the bomb and killing Jacob) would actually work, turns out both of them did.

There's something about a "loophole" .At the beginning of the episode that guy talking to Jacob in medieval times said he'd find a loophole and kill him .I guess he's the one in Locke's body and he found the loophole

I started to wonder a few episodes ago, especially when Ben said "Dead is Dead". Either that or Locke's body had gone before ole Smokey. But that would have been somewhat difficult to accomplish.

Now it may explain Christian too, that person was in control of Christian's body.

well,it's clear that all the castaways going to the island in the first place wasn't a coincidence and Jacob had something to do with it

Jacob practically engineered it. Notice he revived Locke after he fell out of the building. I think he is/was a good guy, and whoever Locke is is a bad guy.

:P

I got teary eyed when Juliet fell. Then I got a little annoyed cause she would never survive such a fall.

Not if she ricochet off the side of the wall and and a few other things slowed her down.

There's some people able to take the form of dead bodies on the island. Christian ,Locke,Charlie,Libby...maybe Claire is dead too since she appeared outside the island

That's what I'm still puzzled about. Who's good and who's bad.

Locke is dead, which sucks. Even more so at the hand of Ben, who just wanted to feel special his whole life.

It makes sense that this other person has been controlling Christian's dead body, telling the real Locke to go off the island and die so he can use his body to convince Ben to kill Jacob. I doubt Ben would listen to Christian Shepherd.