Lost

Mr. Breathmask

The best flashbacks always are. I think Lost (and its writers) have mastered the art of television narrative - some of the managed reveals and paralleling of flashback and island circumstances have been amazing.

The "let go, Jack" flashback in the S.1 episode featuring Boone's death springs to mind.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think everyone is time travelling (Flashbacks/Flashforwards) .Only Desmond seems aware of it

You may have something there. The flashbacks and flash-forwards we're seeing are literally happening on the island in each character. I highly doubt it, but it's a nice idea.

Well,it would fit in the grand scheme of things. Desmonds time jumping must fit with the other flashbacks in some way or the flashbacks on to themselves don't make any sense. I doubt it is just to provide backstory of the characters.Wether you get more severe symptoms or awareness of the phenomenon must have to do with the dose of electromagnetic radiation your exposed to

We still have no explaination of what was contained in the hatch

True.

The writers said on the Season 3 DVD that all the electromagnetism is still there, but when the hatch blew up it served as a "cork" if you will. I'm sure the series will return back to the mysterious Swan station soon enough.

For Season 4, however, the #1 thing I am looking forward to the most is an episode for Rousseau. She's been a part of the show since the pilot yet we know nothing about her.

My #2 would probably be finally seeing Michael and Walt in the show.

Mark did indeed, and I think he's right. The other man that had the same condition said looks like you have a "friend" on this boat. I can't think of anyone else other than Michael.

I know this, but I just want to physically see him in the show, so things can really get underway. I keep forgetting that there are only a few episodes left.

Michael is pretty much a given, but I would really like to see Walt at some point this season. He is still one of my favorite characters of the show.

So, I finally caught up to season 4. Now I'll have to wait for my new episodes just like the rest of you. :D

Despite him being a little twit, I got a little emotional about

Charlie's death

even knowing his fate beforehand. :( (But ripped off as well because it didn't HAVE to happen that way.

Couldn't he have just run out of the room before closing the door or swam out the window?

)

I'm quite miffed at Locke now. I can side with him on most everything else, but

murdering Naomi

like that was just too much, no matter what reasons he had.

Yeah, Locke's getting closer and closer to becoming Ben. The grenade bit was sick.

It's quite possible the grenade is a dud. That's what I like to think for the time being anyway.

Despite him being a little twit, I got a little emotional about

Charlie's death

even knowing his fate beforehand. :D (But ripped off as well because it didn't HAVE to happen that way.

Couldn't he have just run out of the room before closing the door or swam out the window?

)

If Charlie escaped, Desmond would continue to have his premonitions and Charlie would always have to be saved from death in another matter. He was going to die either way, and he figured he would end it there, being a hero.

Many people seemed to have missed that point.

They spend half the season hammering the point that no matter what, Charlie will die, and the last episode that if he doesn't die this way, there won't be a rescue (or at least so Desmond tells us). So rather than wait for another lightning strike or arrow to the throat, Charlie ends it on his own terms, saving his friends.

As for the flashbacks, I'm pretty sure they're just storytelling devices. How else would one explain the shift from flashback to flashforward? Also remember that Desmond had been exposed to the electromagnetism when he blew up the hatch. Notice how Faraday's time machine emitted the same purple light as the Swan did when it exploded.

The cast was able to ask Lindelof and Cuse some questions of their own about the show. They can be found here.

The show will reveal who is in the coffin by the end of the season, which is only 7 more episodes, including the 5 ABC will air in April.

Very interesting article, with great questions all around from the cast (even though most weren't answered). I did find it interesting that they pretty much came out and said that the Oceanic Six were going to leave the island at the end of the season. I always thought that was just a possibility, and that the flash-forwards was a possible future.

Great episode tonight!

Not much to say about the episode itself, it was basically just to tie up some Juliet history. Only part of interest was The Tempest. Seems Ben has an enormous load of lethal gas that he can just ploom over the island.

Oh, and I think my favorite part would have to be with Harper. I called it back in Season 2 that the Others are different in some way that they are presented to us. It appears they all have the ability to appear and vanish when they please, or maybe just a select few. I have no doubt that the backwards whispers in the jungle are them.

Next week's episode will be great!

I was bummed that we didn't find out who Ben's inside man was on the boat. However, the trailer for next week says "a face you thought you'd never see again" which means it's Michael without a doubt. Also, it said the last of the Oceanic Six is revealed, and considering the first half of the spot was about Sun and Jin, I have no doubt that it is her that gets off.

Seems Ben has an enormous load of lethal gas that he can just ploom over the island.

It's very important to Lost history. I think it pretty much confirms

this is how DHARMA was purged and how all of Rousseau's shipmates died. The gas is the infection that was feared by the sirvivors in the early seasons.

There really is no end to Ben's treachery. I wonder if Lindeloff and Cuse had always intended this for the character, for him to be some sort of arch villain.

On this show you really can't trust anyone.

I knew Penelope's father was going to be involved with what's going on in some form. Now the question is; does she know what he's up to as well?

Like I said, no one is to be trusted.

Fantastic episode. It hit me at the end:

The episode was a flashback and a flash-forward played in parallel. Jin's was a flashback to when he was working for Paik, and Sun's was a flash-forward when she had the baby.

Honestly, that was the ultimate twist on our expectations of the show.

Next week: someone dies. We don't know if Jin is dead or not at this point. It could be one of the many lies the Oceanic Six have had to tell, or he actually died on the island before they got off. I think Sun was crying because she knew Jin was still on the island and couldn't see the baby.

A little side note: I loved how the BBQ guy from Planet Terror and Zoe Bell from Death Proof were both in the episode. Don't forget Naveen Andrews was in Grindhouse too, it was a great reunion!

John that happens quite a bit with Lost. :)

I can't tell you how many times I've heard my daughter shout "What the hell!?!?!?!?!?" when an episode ends.

I found this latest episode much better than last week's which was the weakest of the bunch thus far this season. I guess I wasn't paying attention to the fact that Paik was Jin's former boss and the parallel action was two different time periods. Interesting. Almost brilliant narrative twist. LOST is one helluva show.

Cannot wait for the 2 disc Season 3 coming out in a few short weeks! :)

Wow, anyone else get a little emotional at the end? That was some heart-wrenching stuff, and I haven't even known the characters from the beginning.

I found this latest episode much better than last week's which was the weakest of the bunch thus far this season. I guess I wasn't paying attention to the fact that Paik was Jin's former boss and the parallel action was two different time periods. Interesting. Almost brilliant narrative twist. LOST is one helluva show.

I didn't think of that until just now. It pretty much confirms that the future we've been seeing is only a possible one and may not happen depending on how things go with the freighter people.

Glad to see Michael again, I can't wait for the next episode (which I believe centers around him).

Beautiful episode..( except that I got the flashback-flashforward thingy right from the beginning so no "wth" for me this time :P )

I didn't think of that until just now. It pretty much confirms that the future we've been seeing is only a possible one and may not happen depending on how things go with the freighter people.

Lindelof and Cuse have gone on record saying that the flash-forwards are what will happen to the passengers

No it doesn't. It just means (as has been said above) that the episode fools you into believing

all you see are flash-forwards, when in fact Jin's part of the story is a flashback

. A somewhat blatant trick, if you will, but it makes the resolution so much more emotional, especially because it's all explained without words.

One thing about this episode has confused me though: For a long time now, I thought the theme I enjoyed most in season 1 and then considered a sort of love theme was actually Charlie's theme, and as expected it showed up prominently at the end of S3. But now it reappeared in this episode. Was my original assumption right - and if so, what's Charlie's theme?

Wow, anyone else get a little emotional at the end? That was some heart-wrenching stuff, and I haven't even known the characters from the beginning.

No kidding. :)

Although I didn't catch the twist until reading this topic.

Should have picked it up from Jin's line about only being married for 2 months. Why did I assume he had remarried? Stupid.

I also assumed he had remarried. The final scene cleared things up. I think that's how it was intended.

You can hear Charlie's theme on the track "Charlie's Temptation" on the Season 2 soundtrack

I don't have any of the soundtrack releases yet. I need them though.

No kidding. :rolleyes:

Although I didn't catch the twist until reading this topic.

Should have picked it up from Jin's line about only being married for 2 months. Why did I assume he had remarried? Stupid.

I got it at

the first shot of the graveyard.

I think there may be more to this, though. Notice how the date of death on Jin's headstone is September 22nd 2004 - the day of the crash. Could it be he's still alive on the island?

I still feel that only a select number of people agree or are allowed to leave the island, which is why Claire's baby ends up with Kate and Jin "dies".

Of course I haven't completely given up

on the alternate time theory either but that looks less likely.

I got it when

Jin said he was married for only 2 months, but it really clicked when Hurley came to visit.

For a split second there I thought

it was Hurley's baby. What the hell?!?! I think they intended us to think that for a moment. They even had this "so... are we expecting anyone else?" moment.

:rolleyes:

And Michael's back. Yay! Unless things take a really strange turn now, he's definitely Ben's spy.

I wonder what's happened to Walt, though. I assume we find out in next week's Meet Kevin Johnson.

I think there may be more to this, though. Notice how the date of death on Jin's headstone is September 22nd 2004 - the day of the crash. Could it be he's still alive on the island?

I think so

Well I was wrong

Michael and Walt made it back to civilization and then Michael came back alone. Also explained why Tom told Kate she wasn't his type.

No new Lost until April 24th.

Really? I could have sworn that there were previews for next week's episode.

Great episode,

but I was disappointed Walt didn't show more (he only had an extremely brief cameo).

Well I was wrong

Michael and Walt made it back to civilization and then Michael came back alone. Also explained why Tom told Kate she wasn't his type.

No new Lost until April 24th.

didn;t they say there's a new one next week at 10 ,with the repeat at 9?