Happy 250th Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

Hitch

I know I'm 24 hours early but I can't contain my excitement any longer.

HAPPY 250th BIRTHDAY, WOLFY. Rock me Amadeus.

Hitch :baaa: Don Giovanni (Barenboim conducting)

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Happy Birthday Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart!

I have never been a great Mozart fan but I still have to respect his prodigal talents and his music.

I have little respect for prodigal talent perse.

A child prodigy is born with a natural gift.

I feel respect should be earned.

Remind me to slap you silly when we meet again :)

Happy Birthday, Wolfie! I have a hard time figuring out how anyone else could have earned more respect than he, at least musically. You know, Stefan, just because Hans Zimmer took his musical cues from Mozart doesn't make Mozart any less of a composer.

~Conor

My comment was tongue-in-cheek... I think...

No, but I say kudos to him for lasting 36 years with the burden of having music come out the wazoo. He certainly was crazy, and I credit much of that with having to do with the fact that he could not overcome his gift in the end. However, no matter who the man was, the music was astounding. It came from somewhere that is unbounded by the limits of flesh, and Mozart happened to be this particular channel for it. Perhaps that reduces the genius of the particular man, but I think there was a reason for his ability. I just don't know what. All I know is that it affects me in a strong way, especially his Masses and sacred works.

~Conor

My comment was tongue-in-cheek... I think...

No, but I say kudos to him for lasting 36 years with the burden of having music come out the wazoo.  He certainly was crazy, and I credit much of that with having to do with the fact that he could not overcome his gift in the end.  However, no matter who the man was, the music was astounding.  It came from somewhere that is unbounded by the limits of flesh, and Mozart happened to be this particular channel for it.  Perhaps that reduces the genius of the particular man, but I think there was a reason for his ability.  I just don't know what.  All I know is that it affects me in a strong way, especially his Masses and sacred works.

~Conor

Ditto

ou know, Stefan, just because Hans Zimmer took his musical cues from Mozart doesn't make Mozart any less of a composer.

~Conor

Obviously you have no idea what i'm talking about.

Words to live by, Grand Master.

What is this a message board or a Chess Club? *ba-dum shhhh*

Justin

I had the pleasure to attend a very nice rehearsal of his Coronation Mass at the Musikverein yesterday, and also a very good Don Giovanni at the State Opera about two weeks ago (with an absolutely stunning State Opera debut by Ian Bostridge). Looking forward to hearing the Muti-conducted Le nozze di Figaro in April, and also to performing the Requiem with my choir in autumn.

Marian - :ola Happy Birthday!

:wave: Requiem (Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart; Gardiner)

MOZART!!!!! BOWWDOWNNN!!!! happy birthday. i wish u finished the requiem in heaven. (cuz he didnt finish it down here, contrary to popular belief)

I had the pleasure to attend a very nice rehearsal of his Coronation Mass at the Musikverein yesterday, and also a very good Don Giovanni at the State Opera about two weeks ago (with an absolutely stunning State Opera debut by Ian Bostridge). Looking forward to hearing the Muti-conducted Le nozze di Figaro in April, and also to performing the Requiem with my choir in autumn.

Marian - :ola Happy Birthday!

;) Requiem (Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart; Gardiner)

I own 15 CD versions of the Requiem...one of my all-time fav pieces of music.

Hitch, who may attend a Mozart concert in Salzburg or Vienna later this year.

I have little respect for prodigal talent perse.

A child prodigy is born with a natural gift.

I feel respect should be earned.

;):eek::eek::eek:

Well Stefan's comment isn't that clear actually. So-called prodigies don't have succes if they do not work hard. One can only jugde someone to be a prodigee by his success, not just by his genes. And still, if someone doesn't have that much of talent, but they work extremely hard, in some way that person is also a prodigy, because he has a genetic constitution that's causes that he has disciplin, patience etc.

Well Stefan's comment isn't that clear actually. So-called prodigies don't have succes if they do not work hard.

This is why I added the word perse.

I think you meant to say PER SE more so than PERSE. LOL

I own 15 CD versions of the Requiem...one of my all-time fav pieces of music.

Which ones? And which is your favourite?

I have Karajan (VP), Muti, Giulini, Gardiner and Harnoncourt (and an amateur recording of a concert of my own choir, a couple of years before I joined). The Gardiner is my favourite. I should listen to the Harnoncourt again, but I remember it being very odd at least.

Hitch, who may attend a Mozart concert in Salzburg or Vienna later this year.

Neat. I don't even know if there's anything really interesting coming up in Vienna aside from some operas.

Marian - who should find out.

;) Le nozze di Figaro (Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart; Jacobs)

My friend's Music History class threw a party in the lobby of the music building this morning. Hey, it's free food....

~Tyler, who's singing Requiem in Concert Choir this semester.... ;)

This idea that Mozart was somehow already perfect, is nonsense. Mozart himself constantly complained that people had this assumption it was all effortless. Mozart was a product of everything he learned along the way in life. Studying the musical greats that came before him, and being exposed to the various audiences around Europe in those years with his father. Mozart just got better and better, and it also annoys me to constantly hear these words "Genius" and "Child Prodigy" thrown around as fashionable descriptions for Mozart. It reduces all the damn hard work he put into his line of work. Calling him these lofty words kind of makes him a freak. Infact, he was just an ordinary man. A man who was albeit very skilled, a very hard worker, and under appreciated in his time in both those cities that are celebrating. Happy Birthday, Mozart. Your music lives on today. Envious that you saw a rehearsal of the Coronation, Marian. I heard about that concert far too late, and as a result it was already sold out.

This idea that Mozart was somehow already perfect, is nonsense.  

Mozart just got better and better, and it also annoys me to constantly hear these words "Genius" and "Child Prodigy" thrown around as fashionable descriptions for Mozart. It reduces all the damn hard work he put into his line of work.

Calling him these lofty words kind of makes him a freak.  

To call somebody a genius = to call him a freak? That is something new to me!

I'm sorry but there is nothing offensive in the word "Genius". Genius should work and learn much harder than anybody else because he was meant to do it. If he doesn’t he is not genius but a talented looser or worse.

Don't take it too serious, Melange :wave:

Envious that you saw a rehearsal of the Coronation, Marian. I heard about that concert far too late, and as a result it was already sold out.

Huh? Are you talking about a different concert, or are you in the area right now?

Marian - who hasn't been able to locate an interesting-seeming recording of the Coronation Mass yet.