Your 'I feel good' scores

deimos

When I'm sad or tired and I need to get over it I usually play the same scores as my home-made 'therapy'. What scores do you play when you need something to cheer you up?

My favourites:

The Incredibles

Antz

Hook

Le Fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain

And some tracks:

The tale of Victor Navorsky

Scherzo for Motrcycle and orchestra

Main Titles from Charlie and the Chcolate Factory

End credits from back to the future III

Catch me if you can

The Magic of Halloween

The Whomping willow and the Snowball Fight

Journey to the island

Prelude and main Title March from Superman

Fawkes the Phoenix

What about you?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My favorite cheer up scores are:

Superman

Sinbad

Jurassic Park

Hook

Amazing Stories:The Mission

Independence Day

Atlantis

Chicken Run

First Knight

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Tracks:

Cadillac of the Skies (the concert version)

The Face of Pan (both film version and the concert version)

Mastadge Drag (Star Gate)

Forth Eorlingas

Fawkes the Phoenix

Theme from Schindler's List

If I'm sad and I listen to it, I just make it worse!

That is everything but something who makes me happy!

Stuff that makes me happy:

- Prologue from Hook

- Indiana Jones' action tracks

- Superman March

- Welcome to Jurassic Park

- Action cues in general

- Funny punk or rap songs

:)

When I'm down, I actually do like to listen to downbeat tracks. They help take away the bad mood.

Some favorites would be:

Recollections (The Father's Theme) from CMIYC

Cluster One by Pink Floyd from The Division Bell

End Credits from Braveheart

The Breaking of the Fellowship and its alternate from FotR

Samwise the Brave from TTT

The final three tracks of RotK

"End Title, End Cast" - Jaws II

"Leia Breaks the News (Alternate)/Funeral Pyre for a Jedi" - Return of the Jedi

"Somewhere in My Memory" - Home Alone

"When You're Alone" - Hook

"Anakin Is Free" - The Phantom Menace

"Where Dreams Are Born" - A.I.

"Harry's Wondrous World" - Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (concert version ending)

"The Reunion" - War of the Worlds

OK, I don't actually listen to these when I'm sad. But I definitely would, come to think of it.

Right now (which is a moment I don't feel like thinking a lot, since I'm watching TV) the only "slow" track who makes me feel happy is the Main Theme from The Last of the Mohicans.

Mirko - who generally prefers fast music.

Scores:

The New World

Angels in America

Anything from LotR

Anything from Morricone's 4 Westerns (Dollars movies, Good Bad & Ugly & Once Upon a Time in the West)

JNH's King Kong

Signs

Snow Falling on Cedars

Shawshank Redemption

The Horse Whisperer

Stargate

The Terminal

American Beauty

Hide and Seek

Tracks:

Harry's Wondrous World

Dinotopia Main Theme

Jim's New Life

Going to School (MoaG)

Ibelin (KoH)

Mastadge Drag

Boston Public Main Theme

Stargate Atlantis Extended Main Title

The Kelp Forest (Deep Blue)

Or anything from my 'songs & other' folder, such as Earth Song or something by Alanis Morissette or Apollo 440 :)

Anything from Morricone's 4 Westerns (Dollars movies, Good Bad & Ugly & Once Upon a Time in the West)

That's for sure, and to those I must add the main titles from Bernstein's The Magnificent Seven.

The Terminal

Whistling the Main Theme always makes me happy. That melody is happyness translated to notes. :)

Apollo 440

You just ruined your whole post with that. ;)

When I'm down, I actually do like to listen to downbeat tracks. They help take away the bad mood.

Some favorites would be:

Recollections (The Father's Theme) from CMIYC

Cluster One by Pink Floyd from The Division Bell

End Credits from Braveheart

The Breaking of the Fellowship and its alternate from FotR

Samwise the Brave from TTT

The final three tracks of RotK

I actually planned to open another thread entitled Your 'I feel depressed and want to enjoy it' scores.

It would be a very similar thread IMO. :)

Not for me. If I'm sad and don't really feel like feeling better, I listen to Schindler's list, The hours, ... I know it sounds depressing, but sometimes I need to enjoy my own sadness.

I forgot to list these:

Rudy

Patton

Air Force One

Lion Heart

Blue Max

Indiana Jones scores

The Incredibles never fails for me. Any emotional attatchment I have to that film and its music is pure entertainment, fun and laughter, as opposed to other scores that aren't even sad, but I always get nostalgic over -- Philosopher's Stone is one example. I can't listen to that, Jurassic Park or Schindler's List without getting all sad.

Sometimes is does. But others it makes me pine for the simpler days, and the great time I had around the age I got that first score. :(

:thumbup: That happens very often to me also. I remember the good old times and that actually can cheer me up even more (like in the case of SW scores or Jurassic Park).

One track that always makes me feel better if I've had a really bad day is Tomorrow from Erich Wolfgang Korngold's score for The Constant Nymph. It's probably something to do with the way it starts very gloomily - with that tolling bell - but gradually becomes more melodic and optimistic as the piece progresses. Although I've never quite been able to make out all the words that the soprano sings, it has never really bothered me.

I can well imagine why the piece was apparently so popular during the dark days of WWII.

Damien

:( + Tomorrow = :thumbup:

Hmm...Haven't got time to really go into this much.

But here are a few tracks that re-vitalize the spirits.

"The Planet Krypton" - Superman (those last few seconds are :thumbup: )

"Training McCleod" - Highlander

"Bruce and Linda" - Dragon : The Bruce Lee Story

I know someone posted Looney Tunes but it kinda depresses me a little because it's Goldsmith's last score.

Anything with that's brassy and loud usually works.

It would be a very similar thread IMO. :thumbup:

Not for me. If I'm sad and don't really feel like feeling better, I listen to Schindler's list, The hours, ... I know it sounds depressing, but sometimes I need to enjoy my own sadness.

Huh, I'm the exact contrary in this case. The rare times I'm sad, I tried to get out of it as soon as I can. Luckily I have a lot of music that helps.

On the other hand, if I'm happy and I play Schindler's List, I get sad. It's uinevitable for me, it's a sad score for a sad movie about a sad event happened. That's why I play it very rarely.

I'm a bit like Xander from Buffy the Vampire Slayer. "Country music. The music of lonely people". But replace "Country" with "Schindler's List". If I'm in a depressed mood, I'll listen to it and it really doesn't help much. At least, until I realise what the music was written for and how trivial whatever my troubles are in comparison to those horrors.

I find that sad and melancholy music does not deepen my sadness but helps to get over it. The music mirrors my mood and it is easier to let the music take that sorrow and sadness away. That sounds poetic but it works .It is same with agression. If something pisses me off I usually play the most agressive music iI can find and I play it loud. It helps. That way I do not vent my anger on people (who usually have nothing to do with the reason I am angry) but can exhaust the anger through music.

I'm a bit like Xander from Buffy the Vampire Slayer. "Country music. The music of lonely people". But replace "Country" with "Schindler's List". If I'm in a depressed mood, I'll listen to it and it really doesn't help much. At least, until I realise what the music was written for and how trivial whatever my troubles are in comparison to those horrors.

That is also very true. Schindler's List is very sad and depressing if you judge only the music, but if you think of WW2 (and all the wars in general) you realise how lucky you are (even thought it's inevitable for us to pass though personal tragedies.)

If something pisses me off I usually play the most agressive music iI can find and I play it loud. It helps. That way I do not vent my anger on people (who usually have nothing to do with the reason I am angry) but can exhaust the anger through music.

Same here. I usually play metal for this purpose, but I can't play metal if I'm happy either.

There are types and types of sadness, though. There's tragic sadness, there's frustrated sadness, there's empty sadness, there's angry sadness... However, my favorite score for most types of sadness is Close Encounters of the Third Kind. The way it starts, so bleak and dark, is a good way to connect with the music so that you're inevitably drawn towards the powerful, hopeful ending.

Bruce Broughton's The Prodigal, Roughing It, Young Sherlock Holmes (especially the end credits & finale).

Jerry Goldsmith's "The Enterprise" (Star Trek: The Motion Picture) and many others, such as Babe's theme (finale & end credits) and "The Fields of Ambrosia" (The Traveling Executioner).

John Williams' "Welcome to Jurassic Park", "Flying", The River, Memoirs of a Geisha, several others

James Horner's The Spitfire Grill, "Jenny's Theme" (The Rocketeer)

Danny Elfman's A Simple Plan

Lalo Schifrin's "Music to Interrogate By" (Bullit), "Burning Bridges" (Kelly's Heroes)

Dave Grusin's The Yakuza

Some of these also act as "mental musical lifebuoys / purifiers"-- ie, tunes I can call up & play in my head when in need, for comfort or to block out / "chase away" a particularly irritating tune heard on TV or in the street.

• 4 months later...

Ben's Death and Tie Fighter Attack is the music I always played before a test in college, and that started before there ever was any other Star Wars scores. Still one of the most energetic pieces of music. It got me psyched for my tests.

The music from any of the Star Wars scores generally does the trick for me. However, Star Trek and The Matrix Trilogy will also do the trick. :spiny:

Bruce Broughton himself described Mark Twain's Roughing It as "feel good music" in his liner notes.

Ben's Death and Tie Fighter Attack is the music I always played before a test in college, and that started before there ever was any other Star Wars scores.  Still one of the most energetic pieces of music.  It got me psyched for my tests.

"The Forest Battle" was always, always my music of choice right after finishing my last final every semester. I'd conduct my speakers with a pencil. Ahhh I miss college!

If something pisses me off I usually play the most agressive music iI can find and I play it loud. It helps. That way I do not vent my anger on people (who usually have nothing to do with the reason I am angry) but can exhaust the anger through music.

I concur. When I get really pissed, I listen to The Rite of Spring, or some of Williams's most aggressive action music, or something by Varese.

I find any music from A.I. to be perfect for feelings of sadness or loneliness. One night, in Arizona, I actually watched the orange moon rise while listening to The Blue Fairy theme. Holy freakin cow.

Lately, whenever I'm depressed, I listen to John Adams while I'm just driving around, especially at night. His Harmonielehre or his Grand Pianola Music is superb to listen to while driving at night.

Tracks

March of the Villians (superman)

Chairman's Waltz (MoaG)

Augie's Municipal Band (TPM)

Across the Stars (AotC)

A New Hope and End Credits (RotS)

The end track to the Da Vinci Code

Luke and Leia (RotJ)

Victory Celebration (RotJ) (even though i will end up crying listening to it)

A Prayer for Peace (Munich)

Harry's Wondrous world

Flight to Neverland concert version

Going to school live recording

Fawkes the Phoenix

Theme from Jurassic Park

E.T. End Credits

K.M.