Boston Pops purposely delaying Spring Pops schedule???

Foxfan

The BSO has just informed me that they will NOT be releasing the Spring schedule before the end of February.

Are they just doing this to boost sales for their Tanglewood performances (going on sale on Feb. 12)?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's what I want to know. If given the choice, I prefer Symphony Hall over Tanglewood, but if Williams isn't there in May, I want to be able to get my Tanglewood tickets the minute they go on sale.

It all depends on how you handle it. I am taking my HS band to Boston for our trip this spring. I called up their group sales to ask about the performances the particular week we're going (Memorial Day Weekend).

They have the whole schedule, they're just not releasing it publicly yet. If you're looking for info, I'd say call up group sales and ask as if you're taking a group and want info on which weekend to go.

And FYI...memorial day weekend is "And All That Jazz" featuring jazz guitarist and singer John Pizzarelli. :)

-JCM

I unfortunately don't have that piece of information. That was my hope when I picked the week to take my group to Boston, but it seems he's at least not there Memorial Day Weekend. Since we already had our trip approved for those dates, I didn't even bother asking for details about the other weekends.

If you call up their group sales office, they can probably tell you.

They have two numbers - 617-638-9345 or 800-933-4255.

I'd suggest pretending you're planning a group trip and trying to decide what weekend to go. Maybe you're organizing a jwfan.net trip to see Williams conduct!

Good luck!

-JCM

I managed to speak to someone at the BSO who could tell me Williams will be there:

May 12, 8pm, May 13, 2pm, May 16, 8pm.

"Film Night

Orchestral film music brings emotion and excitement to the big screen. On May 12, 13, and 16 the thrills come to Symphony Hall when the Orchestra performs selections from many popular movies, with the accompanying film clips. The visual element adds another level of excitement to familiar tunes from Star Wars and Raiders of the Lost Ark, and many more familiar favorites. The conductor will be announced in February (they have told me it will be JW)."

I'm still thinking of going to Tanglewood though because I don't think the full SW suite will be played in Boston...

Ray?

If you're interested in going to Tanglewood as well, the BSO's site now lists that a bus will be available round-trip from Boston to Lenox...

• 3 weeks later...

I really hope that JW will be conducting this. I really missed him when he didn't come last year. The previous years' concerts were so great!

I managed to speak to someone at the BSO who could tell me Williams will be there:

May 12, 8pm, May 13, 2pm, May 16, 8pm.

"Film Night

Orchestral film music brings emotion and excitement to the big screen. On May 12, 13, and 16 the thrills come to Symphony Hall when the Orchestra performs selections from many popular movies, with the accompanying film clips. The visual element adds another level of excitement to familiar tunes from Star Wars and Raiders of the Lost Ark, and many more familiar favorites. The conductor will be announced in February (they have told me it will be JW)."

I'm still thinking of going to Tanglewood though because I don't think the full SW suite will be played in Boston...