SpaceCamp Re-Release

Nemesis of Vader

I read in the latest issue of Film Score Monthly that Super Collector plans to re-release the score to SpaceCamp. Does anybody have any information in this? They were vage on the release date just said that it is "forthcoming".

This is one of my favorite movies, and I abloutely love the John Williams score to it. The only track I have on cd is on Star Tracks II from Erich Kunzel and the Cincinnati Pops on Telarc. It is a beautiful theme for the movie. But I always wanted to hear the whole score.

Please, if you know more about this, please let me know. I really want this score.

Thanks!

Nemesis of Vader :) :roll:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn this is kick ass news! Between this and The Fury we are doing really good this yearf.

-Rogue Leader who REALLY wants to see a FULL release of the Temple of Doom score.

I am sorry maybe I do not understand this degree of fandom. I mean if its the SAME album, what would even make it unique enough to own?

Just seems kind of pointless to me. :)

If this turns out to be a re-release of the original album, then I want the $150 back that I dropped on ebay for the original CD.

:) Spacecamp

Let me explain my situation... What I have is in fact a cd-r of it. I could have got it on e-bay, but was to expensive.... So, as much as I'm happy having only a cd-r, if I can get the printed cd of it, I'll go for it. And I'll keep the cd-r just for sentimental reasons.

By the way, I'm not a great fan of this score, even if I like a lot of the main theme.

If this turns out to be a re-release of the original album, then I want the $150 back that I dropped on ebay for the original CD.

:wow: :) eek2

I mean damn!!!!!

150 bucks?? Sheeesh! I now realize I am truly among the hardest of hardcore here. I mean here I am being amazed that our friend Miguel here would buy the same soundtrack twice and then this dude comes along saying he paid 150 bucks for it the first time! Folks I would care if it was the HOLY GRAIL of film scores. 150 bucks for a CD is just beyond me!

However I am left in awe of this man's fandom and must give praise to his commitment to John Williams. :)

:wow: :) eek2

I mean damn!!!!!

150 bucks?? Sheeesh! I now realize I am truly among the hardest of hardcore here. I mean here I am being amazed that our friend Miguel here would buy the same soundtrack twice and then this dude comes along saying he paid 150 bucks for it the first time! Folks I would care if it was the HOLY GRAIL of film scores. 150 bucks for a CD is just beyond me!

However I am left in awe of this man's fandom and must give praise to his commitment to John Williams. :)

Thanks, Rogue Leader...nice use of emoticons. I should tell you, I didn't know about this or other sites where I could trade and it was about the only score I didnt have on CD yet. And it IS original, not cd-r.

My commitment to JW knows no boundries. He is one of the most important people in my life, even though I've never met him. ;) Someday, hopefully....

beerchug

My commitment to JW knows no boundries. He is one of the most important people in my life, even though I've never met him.  Someday, hopefully....

Isn't he to us all? :)

I spend most of the money I get on Williams CD's :)

And I know that a guy spent $700 on getting the AI promo! :wow:

My commitment to JW knows no boundries.  He is one of the most important people in my life, even though I've never met him.  :)  Someday, hopefully....

Where in Southern California do you live?

Also, do you like his music enough to have manuscript scores of Williams?

I wasn't all that impressed by Spacecamp the first time around (on LP). Of course, at the moment I don't happen to have a functioning turntable, so I guess I'll have to buy it again, to see if I missed something. I think the drums kind of put me off. Same with The River, which I think is otherwise a very lovely score.

Yes, thank you, I know. And some day I shall. But, for the present, CDs are easier to program, so I will have to content myself -- except in the cases of really bad transfers -- with those.

Figo, who is surprised Morn is old enough to remember the LP.

My commitment to JW knows no boundries.  He is one of the most important people in my life, even though I've never met him.  :)  Someday, hopefully....

Where in Southern California do you live?

Also, do you like his music enough to have manuscript scores of Williams?

I live in the L.A. area. No, I dont have any manuscript scores. I will assume you mean the full score written out?

First, I didnt know you could get them. Second, I dont read music so...I'd just rather listen for now.

Now you've got me all curious...what am I missing? What advantage is there to having written music when you dont read or play it?

Another reason to buy the spaceCamp re-release even if you already have it is if the sound has been remastered and the score doesn't sound so damn muddy..

Stefancos- who is no big fan of the score and gave his CD away to...someguy. :shakehead:

There you go. A lousy transfer. I don't happen to think that the Star Wars trilogy has fared particularly well in the special editions. Next to the LPs, the sound is a little emaciated. The orchestra was much richer on vinyl.

I own the Star wars LP, and played it many times before i finally tracked down the CD versions.

I utterly disagree with your statement, the LP sounds like crap compared to the SE release.

Offcourse it does not help that the Star Wars score was very poorly recorded in the first place, just compare it to some of the recording of the SW suite from that same period (the Gerhardt version, the Mentha version...etc)

To me the ROTJ SE is the only one were they really dropped the ball.

Stefancos- :shakehead:

Sorry, Steef. I listen to Empire fairly frequently, and it is not as good as the LP.

I actually have a hard time listening to Star Wars in its special edition. I grew up with the arrangements on the original album, and it's always jarring to me to hear the music just stop, especially in the main title.

It was a different era then, and I know some of you deranged Williams fanatics need to have every note, but the edited versions served the older format quite well. I would love to have Empire as it was on LP, instead of the single disc incarnation we were given on its first CD release. As it stands, Empire is by far the best listen (of the three) in its expanded form.

As for Star Wars on vinyl, maybe you just need better equipment.

Offcourse it does not help that the Star Wars score was very poorly recorded in the first place, just compare it to some of the recording of the SW suite from that same period (the Gerhardt version, the Mentha version...etc)

According to the SE booklet, the SW score was one of the best-recorded film scores of it's time. Perhaps it's not the recording, but just the old tapes. The Mehta and Gerhardt versions were explicitly recorded for albums, more or less as "classical" music. I'm pretty sure they kept the master tapes pretty well, which isn't the case with film scores at all. Compare any classical recording from the 60s (or even early 50s) to film scores from the late 70s - you'll nearly always find that the classical recording sounds much better and fresher.

To me the ROTJ SE is the only one were they really dropped the ball.

I hope they do better for the next release. I've never heard the LPs, but the Anthology disc sounds far better than the SE.

I happened to listen to some tracks from the ESB SE today, they don't sound too good. They could sound worse - but it's nothing compared to CE3K, for example.

I've heard the original 1977 LP of SW a lot of times, it is most definatly NOT one of the best recorded scores of all time.

Stefancos- Who thinks most Williams scores of the 70's sound inferiour compared to those by other compors (Goldsmith, Barry...etc)

There you go.  A lousy transfer.  I don't happen to think that the Star Wars trilogy has fared particularly well in the special editions.  Next to the LPs, the sound is a little emaciated.  The orchestra was much richer on vinyl.

The SE's have a much more pleasant tone. The old box set sounds ugly. And I can only assume that the LP sounds similar. Besides, it is really fair to compare a CD to a vinyl? Vinyl's usually sound more realistic and richer.

I've heard the original 1977 LP of SW a lot of times, it is most definatly NOT one of the best recorded scores of all time.

And man, Superman sounds like the best 50's film music recordings! Star Wars sounds like the best 60's recordings!

Spacecamp is a great Williams score. To me, all of you who don't have it will be in for a treat. So will I if there is any extra music that the current CD doesn't have. I'm still pumped over the Fury. Now I'm just waiting on an expanded Dracula. I have the DVD and there is quite a bit of music that did not make it to the album. Hopefully, Varese has that one in the works.

So tell me, QuintBrody, do you like all of Williams' bad scores?

Figo, the only man in the world who undersells Dracula (which of course he cherishes on CD LOL ).

The recording of both Star Wars & Empire were both unfortunately plagued by the 'close miking' practice of the era by some engineers. Jedi wasn't quite as bad though, the difference of Abbey Road is noticeable. Anvil had quite dated technology at the time I am told.

Therefore the individual instruments were not allowed to resonate properly. The French Horn in particular suffers greatly from a mic in its bell, a horrible dry sound occurs as opposed to a warm resounding sound.

Compare Princess Leia's horn solo as performed by the LSO, then again as played by the Skywalker Symphony and you will know what I mean.

What are you saying Rogue, something that is BBB or even CCC is bad?

Personally, I've always regarded Always as a "ZZZ" effort in my book, if you get my drift... :D

I love Spacecamp.Apart for "training Montage",it represents for me the "prototypical Williams sound",especially in cues like In Orbit,The End Credits,or The Computer Room.By prototypical i mean you can tell on almost every cue that Williams wrote it in a few seconds even if you didn't know he scored the movie and never heard the score.Typical of his mid 80's writing,reminescent of E.T.,Hook, and even his Olympic Fanfare in tone.

K.M.Who hopes there will be more music in this one.

K.K.M.Who considers E.T.,Hook,and Spacecamp a sort of complimentary triad of some sort,Williams in his"purest" form.

By prototypical i mean you can tell on almost every cue that Williams wrote it in a few seconds...

He probably did write it in a few seconds! LOL

Figo, not a tremendous fan of SpaceCamp, but will give another shot on CD.

Its not that bad. However, its a very mediocre score IMO.  

and mediocre for JW IS BAD!  :)

Nahhh! It's not his best, but it has some lovely part.