TIE BREAKER - Best '90s Williams Score: Round One

robthehand

Which Is Your Least Favourite?  

69 members have voted

1. 1.

• Stanley & Iris
    • Sabrina
    • Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace

There was a tie between three scores last round - Sabrina, Stanley & Iris and TPM. Vote off the one you really want to see gone.

(If there's a tie this time, THEY ALL GO!! :devil:)

I vote Sabrina - I like it, but IMO it's the weakest of the three.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have the means, please, I beg you to give each score a good listen. I can't believe I'd have to encourage Williams fans to give The Phantom Menace a fair go when up against Stanley & Iris...? :S

I absolutely adore SABRINA. The jazzy music (10 mins worth) for the party scene is exquisite. I vote for TPM. It is the weakest link.

I absolutely adore SABRINA.  The jazzy music (10 mins worth) for the party scene is exquisite.  I vote for TPM.  It is the weakest link.

And all of that music in Sabrina is not even composed by Williams LOL That was a good one Hitch! Terribly clever.

If Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace is voted out this round Im never coming to JWfan.com again.... Will a mod delete my account if its deleted!

If you want to take it that seriously...... :devil:

Indeed, like Romão said, these polls are insignificant.

But it's also true that it's like offending to John Williams. Some members from the biggest community dedicated to him is voting TPM as his worst score of a 10 years period. Enough is enough, please!

I even read the word "weak" referred to TPM. :devil: I'm speechless, "Duel of the Fates" is just too amazing to be considered "weak". It's one of the best and strongest themes John Williams composed in the '90s.

Mirko - who will now create 80 new accounts to vote 40 times for Stanley & Iris and Sabrina.

I'm new and I voted Stanley and Iris,

I got into film music because of TPM, and its my 2nd favorite, but my favorite is Attack of the Clones, its the greatest score I've ever heard. Its awesome, and I have every cover available.

my favorite is Attack of the Clones, its the greatest score I've ever heard.   Its awesome, and I have every cover available.

:devil:

welcome anyway, have a nice time around! :|

Suddenly all the fun has been sucked from the polls on the MB :devil: All wrecked by Sabrina and TPM and of course the ever delectable Stanley&Iris.

Well G Lucas raped childhood to some pussies here.

You know: "Damn you GL, this is NOT MY StarWars!!! I'm going to kill myself!" :devil:

I voted for Stanley. I don't have the CD :|

I'm new and I voted Stanley and Iris,  

I got into film music because of TPM, and its my 2nd favorite, but my favorite is Attack of the Clones, its the greatest score I've ever heard.   Its awesome, and I have every cover available.

Welcome to the worst place you could find with that nickname. :devil:

Well G Lucas raped childhood to some pussies here.

You know: "Damn you GL, this is NOT MY StarWars!!! I'm going to kill myself!"  :devil:  

I voted for Stanley. I don't have the CD  :P

Nice language..... :|

"cuz prequals suck" I guess. :devil:

:|

The movies, but here's we're talking about the scores, huh Rob? Specify it next time (better if it's in huge red letters like your old series of polls).

Probably who voted against TPM hasn't enough brain to understand this simple concept.

Mirko - who never watched a Prequel movie, but likes both TPM and RotS scores a lot.

Sad to see Sabrina getting so many votes so early. It's one of my favorites, but I know that it's not a popular choice.

TPM should not be in this poll at all.

The movies' date=' but here's we're talking about the [u']scores

Of course - I was just guessing that people might hate the films so much that they hate everything to do with them. :devil:

Stan and Iris for me

Oh, and AOTC#1, welcome to the board.  Good thing you weren't here for the last set of rounds.  AOTC was kicked out fairly early.

Yeah I've lurked here for awhile and I am amazed by the attitude that some here have towards AOTC.

I mean really its just a great score. Zam the Assasin is just the most amazing piece of music, and I don't think I have ever heard a more beautiful and lovely work than Across the Stars.

I just think that some of the older JW fans have just lost touch with John's music. What they see as a step backwards, is in reality growth, and development in his style. But I've noticed that the more older the people are the less enlightened they seem to be, and they are not as accepting of change as we are.

By the way I am 19, and while I wish to be a musician, I have no musical talent. Still, I know what I like, and its John's newer stuff, his older stuff is ok, but I mean really its overrated by todays standards.

I wish the older members were more like JW himself, you can tell his heart and mind are still young and in touch, the older members should try that for a change.

Sad to see Sabrina getting so many votes so early. It's one of my favorites, but I know that it's not a popular choice.

I know, I love Sabrina too. Even though it's not allowed to really influence your decision, because it's not in the primary score, the reworking of the main theme for solo violin and orchestra by Williams on the first Cinema Serenade CD is one of the most goreous recordings of that material. ;)

Tim

I know, I love Sabrina too.  Even though it's not allowed to really influence your decision, because it's not in the primary score, the reworking of the main theme for solo violin and orchestra by Williams on the first Cinema Serenade CD is one of the most goreous recordings of that material.  ;)  

Wow, why haven't I found this before? It's absolutely stunning- I just iTunes'd it and I've already listened to it four times on repeat. I think I'm going to check out the rest of the CD. Thanks!

Yeah I've lurked here for awhile and I am amazed by the attitude that some here have towards AOTC.

Oh, some member has the strange tendency to judge a bad movie because it has a bad score, or viceversa. I bet that people hate this score because they hated the movie, and can't judge the movie itself or the score itself on their own. I personally haven't watched the movie and I never listened to the score (actually I listened to the "complete" bootleg only once so I can't judge. The only theme I know better is Across the Stars), so this is just what I saw pretty frequently on this board. I never commented this score or this movie, but I do know the situation here. It's also some kind of general reference, as "AotC sucks", "Zimmer and a lot of his MV clones sucks", "PotC sucks", and "we want the complete Temple of Doom score". :baaa:

I mean really its just a great score.

There are a few member who likes this score. As I said, I don't know it, but it's also true that I can't image a Williams score to be that bad. I can accept comments like "worst score of the Prequels Trilogy" or "weakest score of the entire Star Wars Saga", since I can easily guess you just can't compare it with SW, ESB or TMP, but I can't accept it to be the "worst Williams score ever" or those kind of "extreme reviews".

I also don't like bashings. If you don't like a score, just avoid it. Why even bother attacking it everytime?

and I don't think I have ever heard a more beautiful and lovely work than Across the Stars.

Then check out the love themes from any Indiana Jones score ;) (and the Original Trilogy has better themes too by the way...)

All the scores written in the 90's are worthwhile. One has to got, and that absolutely isn't TPM.

Romão, who also loves AOTC, in particular Zam the Assasin.

Sabrina. But S&I (which I don't know) is ok as well, the important bit is that TPM stays in for at least a while, as it has some terrific bits. Escape from Naboo (if that's what the cue is called) is among the most exciting action tracks in a long time.

Marian - ;)

NP: Les rivières pourpres (Bruno Coulais)

Stanley & Iris - lovely, but not a whole lot of thematic development.

TPM has Anakin's Theme, Qui-Gon's Noble End, Qui-Gon's funeral, and the Flag Parade. What's not to like?

Bye, Stan!

I thought you were indicating that someone named Stan was going to be banned, and I looked for that person who had said something bad, then I realized what you meant. LOL

~Sturgis, who voted for Stan as well

I mean really its just a great score.  Zam the Assasin is just the most amazing piece of music, and I don't think I have ever heard a more beautiful and lovely work than Across the Stars.

I just think that some of the older JW fans have just lost touch with John's music.  What they see as a step backwards, is in reality growth, and development in his style.  But I've noticed that the more older the people are the less enlightened they seem to be, and they are not as accepting of change as we are.

By the way I am 19, and while I wish to be a musician, I have no musical talent.  Still, I know what I like, and its John's newer stuff, his older stuff is ok, but I mean really its overrated by todays standards.

I wish the older members were more like JW himself, you can tell his heart and mind are still young and in touch, the older members should try that for a change.

Nice joke. So who are you? Really?

Are any of the 14 man enough to come out and say why you voted for TPM?

i guess they're afraid to come out of the closet.

brett - who voted for S&I

Sorry I can't vote in this round. I love these three scores and I don't want to be a part of voting any of them off in the first round. How can anyone prefer Stepmom or Saving Private Ryan to these three? I'm not ony befuddled, but befiddled and beschmurked too.

I voted for TPM, only because I knew it would tick off the prequel fans,