The Turin Games

tuneman_21

Well, the Winter Olympics have started, and you know what that means. Two weeks of Summon the Heroes, Olympic Fanfare and Theme, The Olympic Spirit and Call of the Champions cut up into bumper music on NBC.

At least they have taste enough to use JW's stuff

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm keeping an ear out for bumpers I haven't heard before.Also,JW composed a new piece for Athens that wasn't heard during the broadcast(only on the MSNBC Athens internet trailer),maybe it will show up in isolated form here.

K.M.

wow...didn't know that. I'm always amazed at how much JW has written that never gets published or recorded for the public. I'm still hungry for the full version of The Mission Theme to get recorded and sold.

whats the athens piece called?

It's not called anything.It sounds like a mix of Escape from Naboo and Arts and Sports from American Journey with Olympic Fanfare mixed in.

K.M.

I'm still hungry for the full version of The Mission Theme to get recorded and sold.

isnt this available in the American Journey album?

The Mission Theme is available on American Journey and on By Request, however those are concert versions. The original is actually Mission Theme, Scherzo and something else...thats the one I wished someone would record and release.

This actually brings up another question. Do these games in Turin have a official music number, like past games have? I don't remember hearing anything other than bad 70's disco music during the opening ceremonies.

I was under the impression that the Anthens music was never oficially confirmed to be by Williams. In fact if it was i'm sure we would all know and there would have been the usual press releases and interviews -- back in 1996 there was a great promotional clip on Summon the Heroes, with Williams being interviewd at Symphony Hall, followed by the Pops recording session.

As for the music for NBC, some of it was released on a NBC promo CD a few years back. This is in great sound, including some of the music as recorded in 1985.

There is also a bootleg with poor sound that includes all the major 1985 themes and several bumpers.

Speaking of the Mission for the NBC.

It is called the mission because it is from the Amazing Stories Score. But i think the two cues are similar, but the main melody has some notes different. They could have given it another name...

That new Athens theme based on Olympic Fanfare is only 1:30 long.It would not be a major new piece to be performed at the opening ceremonies.We DO know Williams re-recorded some olympic music in 2004,including a different version of Summon the Heroes and some new bumpers,.This new short piece was probably meant to be used as bumpers too.Anyways I'm 100% sure it's Williams,it's unmistakable.It could be used over a sports montage or something like that.

Just like the NBC music,I still never heard on the air that new 1 minute "Tom Brokaw" theme Williams recorded in 2004 that we see him conducting on a MSNBC video.If it wasn't for that video we wouldn't know that new theme exists.

K.M.

Speaking of the Mission for the NBC.

It is called the mission because it is from the Amazing Stories Score. But i think the two cues are similar, but the main melody has some notes different. They could have given it another name...

The Mission (a.k.a. NBC News theme) isn't called that way because of the Spielberg directed episode from Amazing Stories. It has to do with the mission of the journalist and reporter to bring the news and truth to the wide audience.

and where is this athens theme?

Ricard put it up on the Main page 2 years ago.It's also on the MSNBC video preview of the Athens Olympic,if you bothered to download it(which also has a new version of Burglar's Dream,also newly arranged by Williams with Harry Potter bells)

K.M.

OOOps.

Ignorance is bliss.

Then the name is fine (but i would have called it other way, so people dont say he is doing a hornism LOL )

and where is this athens theme?

Ricard put it up on the Main page 2 years ago.It's also on the MSNBC video preview of the Athens Olympic,if you bothered to download it(which also has a new version of Burglar's Dream,also newly arranged by Williams with Harry Potter bells)

K.M.

Ooops again.

BTW i think i had problems with those videos.

Yes, it was real -- I have the video somewhere in a back up disc...

As for it being Williams... Mark, you know that there are many composers willing to copycat Williams style -- some better, some worst... Have you ever listened to some of Conrad Pope scores? Talk about Horner...

All in all, how are our little games going?

I'm not as much of a fan of the winter games as I am for the summer, but they're going pretty well. Is anyone else getting turned on by women's hockey? :wave:

Tim

There are more parts to "The Mission", if you ever watch Meet the Press, they use the Scherzo part for it and, on days where they run the credits, they show the full title of the piece. So, there is more to the work.

As for the Female Hockey Teams in the Olympics....the hell with that...give me the female volleyball teams in the summer Olympics...YUM!!!

There is this REALLY cool "intro" music based on Olympic Fanfare that I've heard only twice.They played it when the women figure skating finals started.

K.M.

There is this REALLY cool "intro" music based on Olympic Fanfare that I've heard only twice.They played it when the women figure skating finals started.

K.M.

There's a piece I heard several times, and again before the figure skating finals medals ceremony, which sounds pretty close to Goldsmith's First Knight.

It's an elaborate but short fanfare with the Olympic Fanfare and Theme,in orchestration that would make it sort of sound like First Knight.This is very annoying because I can't be taping all the Olympic broadcasts.I heard it int he Athens games,than could never record it because they didn't play it anymore.

Did anyone tape all of the Woman's Figure Skating on NBC?

K.M.

Ha!.I've been recording NBC Olympic Bumpers all night(and yesterday).I'm probably the only person in the world who did that 8O ).

anyways I got around 10 or them,including that majestic one I was talking about that ends like Departure of Boba Fett..I may make MP3's of them...but they have voices and effects over them

K.m.

Does anyone know which Horner score that was?

The "some song" was by Andrea Bocelli.

Also, which score are they using everytime they talk about that guy from Italy who helped defeat the Nazis? He will take part in the Closing Ceremonies, but they keep showing a preview of him with the music.

They just played the full broadcast end credits.1)abbreviated Call of the Champions,2)some song,3)Some James Horner music(I think)

k.M.

Ok. I'll check it out.

I also really enjoy the Edelman theme from Briscoe County Jr. that they play each time they announce upcoming events. Does anyone have a "pristine" recording of this, without voiceovers? (They didn't play this during the first night's broadcast, so I sent them an email asking why they didn't. Since then, they've played it everytime time they announce the upcoming events. Not sure if my email had anything to do with it.)

And I do have most of the NBC music recorded (voiceovers, though, from the ladies free skate), in case anybody is interested in some of the music.

I also love the music from the "Superheros" Home Depot commercial. Anyone know anything about who composed it, or how to get it without the voiceover? (I also have this music recorded, with voiceover.)

Too bad the Olympics are almost over. The music is so great!

And I do have most of the NBC music recorded (voiceovers, though, from the ladies free skate), in case anybody is interested in some of the music.  

I believe that's the clip i just put up,but I got a clean version.I first heard it at the beginning of the women free skate.

Get it here:

link removed

k.M.

That's great! Any idea about the anti-Nazi music? (It's a soft brass beginning with snare drum, then builds to a string section, and finally fades back to the soft brass.)

I believe that's the clip i just put up,but I got a clean version.I first heard it at the beginning of the women free skate.

Get it here:

link removed

k.M.

I've uploaded the two pieces of music that I was talking about. Any info would be appreciated, especially about the first one. I consider the Home Depot music to be the best TV commercial music I've ever heard.

Anti-Nazi (from some film score): link removed

Home Depot Commerical music: link removed

Also, I listened to the samples of the Emperor's Club on Bestbuy, and it didn't sound like what they played at the end tonight...

Yeah, they're not JW, I agree. No clues about the first one? I'm almost positive it's from a film score.

What's wrong with the Home Depot clip? It works fine for me.

those 2 clips aren't John Williams,that's all I can tell you.

dude,your Home Depot clip is messed up...

K.M.