John Williams in 2006

Josh500

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So he will not score even ONE movie this year? Anybody have any info?

:cry:

But he'll be as busy as ever. I'm sure we can expect new concert works -- maybe the promissed new music for Perlman and Ma, a new song cycle based on poems by Rita Dove, and the Cocnerto for Orchestra.

And with some luck, new recordings to help celebrate his 75th birthday in 2007. Maybe he finds the time to record his recnet concert works, and well as some of his earlier ones.

Does anyone know what happened with the Oliver Stone/9/11 project?, because now its not being scored by either John Williams or  

James Horner, instead by Craig Armstrong

What about it? Do you want to know if there was any reason why Williams wasn't attached? If so, I don't think there is any

But he'll be as busy as ever. I'm sure we can expect new concert works -- maybe the promissed new music for Perlman and Ma, a new song cycle based on poems by Rita Dove, and the Cocnerto for Orchestra.

And with some luck, new recordings to help celebrate his 75th birthday in 2007. .

Hmm...do we need more violin and cello solos?And another song cycle?I can't say I liked the first one.I do hope there are special releases for his 75th birthday though.

K.M.

Perhaps, he can rescore some parts of the "New Hope" or rescore the Geonosis battle and whatever Lucas have re-used instead to ask Williams to do it in time , my wish list : into the main reactor, sail barge assault, geonosis battle , crash landing ( ep.3 ) and PLEEEEEEASE SUPERMAN 2 !!!

Perhaps, he can rescore some parts of the "New Hope" or rescore the Geonosis battle  and whatever Lucas have re-used instead to ask Williams to do it in time , my wish list : into the main reactor, sail barge assault, geonosis  battle , crash landing ( ep.3 ) and PLEEEEEEASE SUPERMAN 2 !!!

Only to buy these DVD's all over again? Screw that.

Star Wars DOES NOT, I repeat DOES NOT need to have anymore music added to it.

Leave the damn score alone.

i'd just like to hear all the music that was supposed to be in the movies. the music that lucas stuck up his butt.

Star Wars (1977) has all the music that was supposed to be used, actually in the film.

and that's why AFI listed Star Wars as the #1 soundtrack of all time.

No it would certainly not be nice.

the only reason the imperial march isnt there is because it wasnt invented yet. imho its rather odd to have a sudden break from the theme in the middle of the series. just a few light touches here and there would do. and yes, i do want a choice on the DVD to have the original score back if they ever do it.

I don't think Star Wars should be adjusted in any way, just because the other films use a theme that this one does not have.

I mean if you start messing with Star Wars' music, then next they wanna redo the special effects an....

Oh....

Star Wars scores should be left alone! No more tinkering! I am sick and tired of hearing that William should rescore that or this bit of the OT for thematic continuity but as the backwards order of making of the films has ruined the continuity already why tweak the OT just to get that right. We have to accept that the music does not flow so well as it would if the scores would have been composed in chronological order.

YOu have the Dvd's. You have the complete scores. If they tinker with the music, you give it a listen,you like it, or you don't like. The original score is preserved forever. What do we have to lose?

Romão, who would be curious to listen to some rescored sections of star wars, even though it is as perfect as scores get.

I don't think Star Wars should be adjusted in any way, just because the other films use a theme that this one does not have.

I mean if you start messing with Star Wars' music, then next they wanna redo the special effects an....

Oh....

i think the sfx is the first thingy they will want to redo. :wave:

the only reason the imperial march isnt there is because it wasnt invented yet. imho its rather odd to have a sudden break from the theme in the middle of the series. just a few light touches here and there would do. and yes, i do want a choice on the DVD to have the original score back if they ever do it.

Not only would the sound quality of any additional scoring completely ruin the present score and soundtrack of the film, but the theme isn't needed in the film. Read this post and you'll see why.

Williams definitely deserves a break. So he might not compose anything for 2006. Booo-hooo, it aint the end of the world. There are a lot more other scores for you people to listen to or to explore.

Not only would the sound quality of any additional scoring completely ruin the present score and soundtrack of the film, but the theme isn't needed in the film. Read this post and you'll see why.

That is alright in the context of the OT itself. But I still dont see how some subtle statements could ruin it. So what if its not 'Vader's movie'? Ep3 wasnt Luke's movie and yet he got his light theme statement at the end. Leia too.

And with some luck, new recordings to help celebrate his 75th birthday in 2007. .

Hmm...do we need more violin and cello solos?And another song cycle?I can't say I liked the first one.I do hope there are special releases for his 75th birthday though.

K.M.

You're jocking, right?

Williams Cello Concerto is his best work ever! His cocnert music is surelly better than most of his film output -- wether you like it lesser is another question.

I for once would love to see him leave Hollywood and concentrate only on his concert music.

And he did said more than once that he plans to write music for Ma and Perlman and another song cycle. And unless you have it, I'm sure you only listened to three songs from the first cycle... Which, by the way, are probably his best songs!

if that is the logic, what was the point of all the subtle statements in the prequels?

The main difference being that Williams didn't go back and record "subtle statements" to stick in those scores years after they were finished. That's what I was getting at. There'd be no point to tweak the music for a few measley seconds of music.

K.M.

You're jocking, right?

Williams Cello Concerto is his best work ever! His cocnert music is surelly better than most of his film output -- wether you like it lesser is another question.

I for once would love to see him leave Hollywood and concentrate only on his concert music.

And he did said more than once that he plans to write music for Ma and Perlman and another song cycle. And unless you have it, I'm sure you only listened to three songs from the first cycle... Which, by the way, are probably his best songs!

I can listen to film scores that have yo yo Ma in them,but I'm not crazy about his Cello Concerto(except the Elegy)

if that is the logic, what was the point of all the subtle statements in the prequels?

The main difference being that Williams didn't go back and record "subtle statements" to stick in those scores years after they were finished. That's what I was getting at. There'd be no point to tweak the music for a few measley seconds of music.

yea, i guess its uneconomical to do it now....if he would do it he should have done it during the 97 SE release since he was already onboard for the Jedi rescore.

Just out of curiosity, with those statements of the Imperial March you would have included, what would they have replaced? Parts of the Imperial theme as heard in the film? Or the Death Star Motif? Or just filling in the blanks? Just wondering. :music:

K.M.

You're jocking, right?

I can listen to film scores that have yo yo Ma in them,but I'm not crazy about his Cello Concerto(except the Elegy)

tuba concerto is my fav.

To re-score key moments of Superman 2 will be a nice task to do, as well as re-score geonosis battle the temp tracks are too "triumfoso" , after listening carefully, there is sandwiched between 2 TPM cues, the original score of this scene, to me , it is my intuition, this music exist, but had the same treatment that the "conveyor belt" cue ...Also in EP3 the crash landing should be re-scored...

To re-score key moments of Superman 2 will be a nice task to do, as well as re-score geonosis battle the temp tracks are too "triumfoso" , after listening carefully, there is sandwiched between 2 TPM cues, the original score of this scene, to me , it is my intuition, this music exist, but had the same treatment that the "conveyor belt" cue ...Also in EP3 the crash landing should be re-scored...

Um, I think you're behind on the news. It's been confirmed that all the Phantom Menace music that was tracked into Attack Of The Clones by various interviews with John Williams that no music was written for those scenes. Probably because the ILM department was still working on the CG stuff for them.

It's more than just 2 Phantom Menace cues in the tracked music...there's a lot of cues for the tracked music, especially the Battle Of Geonosis parts.

I doubt they will rescore it. George Lucas isn't Peter Jackson and he most likely won't ask John Williams to come back and re-score those scenes.

Those scenes with the tracked music were pre-planned, just like the scenes that have both The Phantom Menace and Attack Of The Clones music in Revenge Of The Sith.

As I said don't count on them being re-scored.