The Best Oscar-winning Original Score of the 1980s, non-JW

Trumpeteer

What's the best non-Williams Oscar-winning score of the 1980s?  

47 members have voted

1. 1.

• Fame (1980)
    • Chariots of Fire (1981)
    • The Right Stuff (1983)
    • A Passage to India (1984)
    • Out of Africa (1985)
    • 'Round Midnight (1986)
    • The Last Emperor (1987)
    • The Milagro Beanfield War (1988)
    • The Little Mermaid (1989)

PLEASE NOTE THE CHANGE:In order to make the poll fairer, John Williams' Oscar-winning scores will not be included. Now, you will vote for the best Oscar-winning score that is not written by Williams.

The winner of this poll will face "The Omen" and the winners of the '90s and '00s.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually this is an impressive list, but Out of Africa is a glorious score, easily the best, and among the best Oscar winning scores of all time.

I was thinking precisely the opposite. A rather unimpressive list. No entirely great scores there, only one great movie (The Last Emperor). Out of Africa has a glorious theme. The entire score is nothing new under the sun from Barry. The Last Emperor has wonderful passages from Sakamoto, but the rest of it is extremely wanting. The Right Stuff is a good, solid, uplifting score. I have not heard A Passage to India. That leaves Chariots of Fire, which is excellent in the film, and one of the best themes ever for a film.

Morlock- who would take any other decade's list in a heartbeat, with or without E.T.

My vote is biased as I've not heard all the scores on the list but Chariots of Fire has one of the best themes ever written so that's my vote.

Justin

The Right Stuff. It's basically a rip-off of Holst (which Horner ripped for "Main Title/Takeoff" in The Rocketeer), but it works. Plus I'd throw my vote in for a movie about NASA over some ooey gooey Redford/Streep/Pollack drama anyday. Plus...the best '85 score from Barry was not Out of Africa. Instead of a biplane...this movie involved a blimp. And horses. And awesome pieces of music called "Snow Job" and "He's Dangerous."

IMO, the best score from '85 was a tie between Back to the Future and Rambo: First Blood Part II. To hell with dramas.

I think Conti mentioned in an interview that he had no choice to stick close to the temp track that was attached to The Right Stuff and he was shocked / suprised that he even won the Oscar.

Right Stuff. It is an atrocity that it was never commercially released even after it won an Oscar.

I think Conti mentioned in an interview that he had no choice to stick close to the temp track that was attached to The Right Stuff and he was shocked / suprised that he even won the Oscar.

Yeah, wasn't he brought in at the last minute? I think I remember that on the 20th anniv. DVD now.

This would've been an awesome score for Jerry to have done. It would've been like a sequel-score to The Blue Max.

My vote is biased as I've not heard all the scores on the list but Chariots of Fire has one of the best themes ever written so that's my vote.

Justin

Any theme,no matter how inspired,sucks when it is played by synths.

K.m.

Right Stuff. It is an atrocity that it was never commercially released even after it won an Oscar.

Varese Sarabande released a CD that featured The Right Stuff and North and South by Conti but I believe it was a Re-recording done by the composer himself. It contained 5 cues from The Right Stuff.

It was issued in 1986 and is long out of print.

Justin

The theme is played on piano. :roll:

Justin

I don't own any of the scores. However, I enjoy tracks from Chariots of Fire, The Right Stuff, Out of Africa, The Last Emperor, and The Milagro Beanfield War.

*cough* and occasionally, The Little Mermaid.

Justin

Quite bland decade of winners(exept E.T).

Makes me wonder why the censored no Indiana Jones score won an Oscar...

The only score I know is Chariots of Fire. Not bad, althought apart the main theme it's a boooring score.

Also, it's...synth. :D

The 80's must have been a terrible decade for film music.

Well, apart John Williams... ROTFLMAO

Also, I don't even wanna start thinking of 80's pop music. :)

The 80's gave us the greatest John Williams,Jerry Goldsmith and James Horner scores.and John Barry was also mostly great(Out of Africa is actually one i'm least interested in).

K.M.

It also gaves us landmarks like Conan, Batman, all the wonderful Williams scores, wonderful scores by Morricone. Great decade, better than the 90's as film scores go.

Yeah,in the 90's Goldsmith got into his "streamlined" mode of boring rythmn driven film scores(Air Force One,The Edge....etc...). Horner got boring with his new bland homogeneous style from Braveheart and Legends of the Fall(I've just listened to that and I can't believe how dull it is and it beats me how it got this cult status).Williams started losing it with his dramatic scores.When Sleepers was released I got REALLY worried and I almost stopped even buying williams c.d.'s.Barry now had this incredibly slow lush style going on that all sounds the same.

K.M.

Williams dramatic scores actually were the highlight of film scoring in the 90's for me. I mean, Schindler's List, Amistad, Seven Years in Tibet, Stepmom, Angela's ashes. These are all superb works of an artist on top of his game.

Out of Africa, of course.

However The Little Mermaid is pretty essential stuff also.

Chariots of Fire deserves recognition for the phenomenal Main Theme (which HAS to be synth/piano! The orchestral versions just sound like trite muzak). The rest of the score falls a bit flat however, except for the Hubert Parry!

Especialy since he was nominated against the superior RoTJ.....and the far' date=' far superior [i']Under Fire, one of the best scores ever

Any theme' date='no matter how inspired,sucks when it is played by synths.[/quote']

Really? are you sure about this?

Morlock- who loves the theme either way, but thought it sounded very synthy

Justin

Justin

No matter, it's still boring ;)

I voted for Last Emperor,

Lovely score

The Last Emperor gets my vote. One of the best scores I know, even though it is devided into two sections (Sakamoto section - David Byrne section). One of the few times the oscars got it right.

Out of Africa is another score for grannies: "Oh, that's lovely music, my boy."