Unreleased Return of the King music in "Battle For Middle Earth II" video game

Quintus

Hey all, I have the music file converted to mp3. Now, what I need is simple "dummies" instructions for splitting up the one big file into the separate tracks. If someone could PM me or respond here I would greatly appreciate it!

-Chad

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 'BIG' file format is one of EA's compressed formats for game files. To properly (and easily) get at the music in its 200+ individual tracks you need a BIG file editor. I use Final Big, available here: http://commandandconquer.filefront.com/fil...ig_Editor;38034

Just open Music.big using this editor and you'll see all the tracks. Go to Edit>Extract All (or pick individual tracks) and select a save directory. Easy.

For anyone interested in my personal favorite LOTR music, 'Charge of the Rohirrim', the files are, in order: bagood23_r13.mp3, r_exgood113.mp3, r_acgood114.mp3, r_acgood111.mp3.

On that note if anyone else is like me and loves Theoden's Death speech I've edited together a pretty seamless 4 minute track that incorporates elements of the OST and Theatrical cut audio as well as enhancements and horse charge bass. If you're interested in hearing it drop me a line.

Hope this helps anyone still reading this thread. ;)

Brigg,

Thanks for the info! Mine did not seem to work, I think it was because I already renamed the .big files into .mp3 files and when I renamed it back with the .big extension it still had .mp3. Anyone know how I can reverse this to set it back to a .big file? Thanks!

-Chad

Brigg,

Thanks for the info!  Mine did not seem to work, I think it was because I already renamed the .big files into .mp3 files and when I renamed it back with the .big extension it still had .mp3.  Anyone know how I can reverse this to set it back to a .big file?  Thanks!

-Chad

When exploring the files in my computer, go to Tools --> Folder Options --> View --> Then uncheck hide extensions for known file types.

Also Thanks a lot Brigg313 :| it works perfectly, do you know what the .sec file that is also created is though?

Awesome! It worked on both the BFME I & BFME II! This is too frickin' awesome, baby! Now I just need to disect the unreleased tracks from the ones we already have and make my mixes for TTT & ROTK! Thank you all!

-Chad

No.

But I've almost completed my own edit. Here's my tracklist:

1. The Finding Of The One Ring (3:59)

2. The Days Are Growing Darker (2:36)

3. Return To Edoras (comprising also Eowyn's dream from the DVD menu) (3:02)

4. Gollum's Villainy (2:06)

5. Hope And Memory (2:36)

6. Denethor (comprising also The White Tree and Boromir's Death) (2:45)

7. Minas Morgul (0:59)

8. This Is Now The Hour (2:02)

9. Amon Dîn (3:16)

10. Osgiliath Overrun (contains portions of Minas Tirith) (4:59)

11. The Muster Of Rohan (2:06)

12. The Stairs Of Cirith Ungol (2:15)

13. Go Home! (3:39)

14. Dunharrow Encampment (2:22)

15. Andurìl (3:53)

16. Dunharrow Suite (contains: Eowyn equips Merry, Unknown rider approaches, Eowyn and Aragorn, I Would Have You Smile Again, Aragorn choses the Dimholt road, "Prepare to leave", latter part of The Ride Of The Rohirrim) (5:58)

17. The Paths Of The Dead (contains a recreated version of the Journey To The Dimholt) (4:51)

18. Ash And Smoke yet to be done

19. The Battle Of Pelennor Fields (contains a recreated version of the "Catapults Unleashed" sequence, as well as portions of the corresponding album track) (3:33)

20. Shelob's Lair (5:34) one hell of a track; and almost complete!

21. The Choices Of Master Samwise (3:18)

22. The Second Level Burns yet to be done

23. The Horns Of Rohan (4:13)

24. Denethor's Pyre (1:54)

25. Mûmakil (1:59)

26. The Nazgûl And His Prey (4:51)

27. Requiem For Théoden (contains recreated version of the latter half) (2:15)

28. The Tower Of Cirith Ungol (4:28)

??. The Last Debate

??. In The Land Of Shadow

??. The Black Gate Opens

??. For Frodo

??. The Cracks Of Doom

??. The End Of All Things

??. The Grey Havens

??. Epilogue

The tracks with "??" aren't done yet, so I don't know how they'll be split up. All the files are 320 kbit MP3s. I've spent a LONG time working on these things. One thing I don't like about some edits out there is that there often is some silence between individual cues, even if they belong together.

I've avoided silence as often as possible (except for dramatic purpose), and tried to stay within the rhythm and meter of the cues; I also avoided fade-ins or -outs when possible.

A good example is "The Nazgul and his prey", which comprises everything from Theoden's fall to Legolas' Mumakil stunt, but which flows perfectly without silence.

Shelob's Lair and Choices Of Master Samwise where particulary difficult, but it's 95 % like the film version.

• 3 weeks later...

Number 104 on the above list is Sam attacking Gollum after Gollum accuses him of eating the Lembas.

I opened up the file in Final Big, the .big editor linked on the other thread, and discovered some more cues that aren't listed at all on the above list. So far I've found:

r_acevil105 - Minas Tirith fires catapults (straight after Ash and Smoke)

r_acevil110 - Pippin uses the Palantir

r_acevil113 - Ash and Smoke Part 1 Clean end

r_acevil104, r_Acevil106 and r_Acevil107 are all cues that sound like Grond/Orc invasion of Minas Tirith cues, though I'm not sure where from exactly.

I thought I could let you know that the full version of the game features even more unreleased ROTK music, the journey to the Dimholt for instance, amongst many others.

Thanks to dani11?? for bringing this to our attention. I'll make a list when I find the time this weekend.

gkgyver, that is very interesting news, thanks for sharing. And if you could share the love as well that would be great! (by pm, of course) :sleepy:

-Chad

r_bbevil106: Shelob's Lair expanded beginning

r_acevil104: Grond

r_acevil105: Catapults Unleashed

r_acevil106: Grond attacks the gate

r_acevil107: the gate is breached

r_acevil110: Pippin uses the palantir

r_bbevil101: Denethor sends Faramir away

r_bbevil102: the fellowship rides to the Dimholt

r_bbevil104: we can't defeat the armies of Mordor!

r_bbevil105: It's him! The eye!

r_bbevil107: I must destroy him for both of our sakes

r_bbevil108: Denethor prepares his pyre

r_bbevil109: I saw him! (after the palantir)

r_bbneutral105: Sam discovers the lembas

r_livingworld101: Grey Havens, Frodo hugs his friends for the last time

r_livingworld102: It's done! The fellowship mourns for Frodo

r_livingworld105: Shore's "Rheingold" hommage

Dang it! I just tried to download the demo and it isn't working for me. It keeps stopping in the middle of the download. Could anyone send me the files somehow? I'd really appreciate it.

Better yet, buy the complete score release somewere in this year.

Stefancos- who's not bothering with any of this.

Well The Two Towers will be released later this year according to Doug Adams. Not sure what month yet...maybe in time for Christmas. However the project for The Two Towers is in the works right now.

Doug Adams said on MovieMusic.com that the reason why they're waiting until close to end of the year to release The Two Towers is because Fellowship Of The Ring's full score is doing so well and they don't want to interupt the sales of that right now by releasing the full score for The Two Towers so soon.

You know it's too bad Lucasfilm couldn't take a page out of this work and release the complete original intended versions of all 3 Prequels all ready...I bet those would sell like hot cakes.

I would buy the game if I could, but right now I can't. I was just hoping maybe someone would be able to send me the music.BIG file for now. And I definitely plan to buy the complete recordings when they come out. It would just be nice to have some of that to tide me over. Oh, well.

gkgyver, I tried to PM you but I couldn't get it to work for some reason. I would buy the game but my cpu won't handle it and wanted to know if you could please pm me the complete game only files? Hate to ask but I couldn't get the demo to work so I know if I bought the game it wouldn't work either. Thanks!

-Chad

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I have one, but only for ROTK, and not here at the moment.

I remember going through the files and noticing that both FOTR and TTT aren't well-represented unreleased-music-wise in it.

Does anybody have a list of the files from the BFME games that contain unreleased music?

Threatrical version specially.

For the demo it's a file called music (not sure about the extension, .big?). Seems to be a renamed mp3 file.

Unfortunately the contents is a complete mess, but it seems to mainly be RotK.

Does anybody have a list of the files from the BFME games that contain unreleased music?

Threatrical version specially.

For the demo it's a file called music (not sure about the extension, .big?). Seems to be a renamed mp3 file.

Unfortunately the contents is a complete mess, but it seems to mainly be RotK.

Thanks, but you misunderstood me. :D

That Music.big files It's more like a folder with about 300 individual mp3s files, if you open it with 'Final big' program.

I was asking if someone had figured which of those mp3s files contained unreleased music (from CCs and OSTs)...

• 4 years later...

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I was wondering if anyone knows if the game files contain any alternates we haven't discovered yet (Here's looking at you, Faleel). I wouldn't expect to find anything from TTT or ROTK, but since the FOTR-CR is essentially just the film stems, we know there are significant alternates somewhere (the Seduction of the Ring passage from The Two Towers game immediately comes to mind).

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I was wondering if anyone knows if the game files contain any alternates we haven't discovered yet (Here's looking at you, Faleel).

No, but a couple of theatrical ROTK excerpts that are otherwise unreleased.

(the Seduction of the Ring passage from The Two Towers game immediately comes to mind).

Not an alternate - just dialled out in the film.

• 6 months later...

Hiya, sorry to wake an old thread, but I'm making a mod for BFME2: Rise of the Witch King and am hoping to suit the music better to the factions - gkgyver, do you know what numbers those in your list refer to? As in the files, they're arranged into good and evil etc. - is there a simple way for me to be able to see what track on your list refers to the actual file?

I can only think of two theatrical pieces from these files that aren't available in the Complete Recordings (one of which was a podium change and not really a full-blown alternate).

The 'clean endings' are mostly false and are not reflective of compositional intent.

I can only think of two theatrical pieces from these files that aren't available in the Complete Recordings (one of which was a podium change and not really a full-blown alternate).

The 'clean endings' are mostly false and are not reflective of compositional intent.

What are the two theatrical pieces from the game?

I have no idea what you speak about.

And I've discarded those crappy quality files when the Complete Recordings were released.

I was just wondering if you could tell me what the numbers of the tracks in your list were - do they correspond to the actual file names?

And we're not allowed to just chuck the CRs in with the mod, as it may be slightly breaching copyright...

Lighting of the Beacons and Grond?

End of 'The Palantir' (titled 'Hope and Memory') on the album and the Gandalf/Pippin 'an important task' sequence.

Possibly the Osgiliath/Beacons transition too, which was a re-recording and not an editorial construct.

Lighting of the Beacons and Grond?

End of 'The Palantir' (titled 'Hope and Memory') on the album and the Gandalf/Pippin 'an important task' sequence.

Possibly the Osgiliath/Beacons transition too, which was a re-recording and not an editorial construct.

Weren't there also fragments of the Last Debate (Theatrical version) in these files? I seem to remember there were.

Interesting.

Generally speaking, the preference was to adjust and re-record rather than edit. The extended recording schedule made this more practical than it would be on a 'normal' film.

Yep.

Was this the case with the AUJ sessions too?

That was the intention.

A way to recording sessions hell is paved with good intentions.