An Amazing John Williams Find!

BigMacGyver

Just had to share this with you:

The silva CD of Raiders Of The Lost Ark has long been one of my holy grails but i was never able to find a copy at a reasonable price.

But now, the long search is finally over...

I found a copy at the french amazon marketplace for the ridiculous price of 12 (!) euros. The CD arrived today and is in perfect condition. What a joy it is to add an original CD of a crucial Williams score to my collection. I am so excited!

:sleepy::jump::jump::jump:

Now what are your most amazing JW finds?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember I found my copy in a little obscure record store in Barcelona. I paid around 14 euros for it. I remember jumping of joy when I saw it on the shelve. And I had never heard the score before.

Great find, congratulations.

Not exactly amazing, but 3 of my Williams (one only just though) CDs cost me peanuts. I usually don't pay more than about £7-8 for a CD, but these were bargains:

PoA: £4 (101cd)

TPM OST: £2 (WHSmith)

Jurassic Park III: 75p (Amazon UK marketplace)

For any scores in general, Amazon marketplace is brilliant. Some older scores such as Titanic can easily be found for less than £1 new, with recent stuff around £4-6. I've got a lot of stuff from there because Amazon's price is frequently a joke in comparison.

I thought the DCC thing was something to do with DDD or things like that LOL

Now i know why it is not called silva version...

I dont have a major find, but i was urged to get this Raiders and Jaws 2 when i saw them in stores :sigh: thanks pals!

By the way, i just checked Amazon.fr again and there is another guy who sells raiders, this time for even less: Only 10 euros. If you don't have it then this could be your chance to buy it cheap.

How come these crazy french guys are selling their raiders CDs for such little money?

Raiders of the Lost Ark was issued by Silva?

A hole in the impenetrable wall of KM's JW collection?

Ultimate fanboy, indeed.

Justin - Who thinks KM should be impeached and Roald sworn in.

Actually any older and less known Williams score found in Finland is a find. I found scores like Sabrina and Empire of the Sun by chance in our stores and after I bought them the stores have not ordered more of them so they are finds IMO.

But in the age of internet shopping acquisition of older scores and more rare releases has become so much easier.

I came across Dracula all by accident a long time ago. I had no idea he had written that. When I took it home I was totally blown away.

So much so that it's my second most favourite Williams score of all times!

#1 Podium is shared with ET and TESB :|

No exactly a "find", as such, but in early 2002 I had just spent all the money (that I had available) on a few CDs (not rare ones, but ones I'd been meaning to get), and then, not a few days later, The Witches of Eastwick sold for £9 on eBay! I cursed myself very brutally. :|

No exactly a "find", as such, but in early 2002 I had just spent all the money (that I had available) on a few CDs (not rare ones, but ones I'd been meaning to get), and then, not a few days later, The Witches of Eastwick sold for £9 on eBay! I cursed myself very brutally. :|

Talk about bad luck! There is one of the most sought after Williams scores.

4 years ago I found a near mint copy of The Witches Of Eastwick for $4.99 in the used section at a Hasting's music store.

Always look around folks, sometimes you'll be suprised what you might find.

considering how lousy my country is at stocking scores, Rosewood is a good find. 8O

When I ordered that score through our local record store it took 6 months to deliver it to Finland. That is the second longest wait for a score album I have had. 1941 CD took 2 years to arrive. Talk about slow service.

I also ordered the 1941 Bay Cities c.d. from a store here in Montreal and it took about a year to arrive.I had forgotten about it when they filnally called me.

K.M.

considering how lousy my country is at stocking scores, Rosewood is a good find. :(

When I ordered that score through our local record store it took 6 months to deliver it to Finland. That is the second longest wait for a score album I have had. 1941 CD took 2 years to arrive. Talk about slow service.

Damn that's a long time to wait for a package to arrive. It's a good thing you didn't move in those 2 years. Were you pretty surprised 2 years later that you got the CD you had ordered? Did you forget about it?

I am certainly not in a hurry to spend my left arm to get that terribly short temple of doom CD. Maybe if i would find it for about 10 to 20 bucks but that is very unlikely. Instead, I would rather wait another 10 years for a proper expanded reissue of that great score but as things are looking right now (with dead silence from paramount) we might have to wait even longer for that to happen.

However, I noticed that the album credits of raiders don't even mention paramount but Lucasfilm Ltd. so maybe the situation is not that bad after all. Damn these complicated licencing issues!

considering how lousy my country is at stocking scores, Rosewood is a good find. :P

Damn that's a long time to wait for a package to arrive. It's a good thing you didn't move in those 2 years. Were you pretty surprised 2 years later that you got the CD you had ordered? Did you forget about it?

I had forgotten the order complitely untill they called me and said it had arrived. :( At first when they called me I was little baffled since I did not remember any recent orders I had from that store. I am glad I had money to buy it then.