STAR WARS : Symphony for a Saga

Todd

BAH! Finished it is NOT.

So I had two kids, bought a house, got really, really sick, thought I was going to die, lost my job...BLAH BLAH BLAH. Thanks for the support people. I'm getting back on the wagon.

Ciao...more soonishlier.

• 2 weeks later...

For what it's worth you have my support. I loved the prequel suites and they are a mainstay in my playlists. :) Here's hoping you get a chance to finish your original trilogy suites.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Does anyone have the "The Lava Planet" single? It seems the old links no longer work.
I'm just restating my request; does anyone still have this?

I PM'd tlbauerle. Just waiting for a reply now :)

• 4 years later...

Is there a moratorium on resurrecting an old thread (or project)?

Symphony for a Saga is going live once again. I figure with all the fan edits social media is a little more accepting now. So, there is a Facebook page and a YouTube channel now!

I appreciate you guys who have supported what I've tried to do. I have been trying to carve out time to edit Empire, and I have a first cut down. I am re-launching the website (the old link) and other social media now. Stop by www.facebook.com/starwarssymphony and check out the channel at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwTjSLrVysoXIKlRfcsIIBA.

Thanks again, all!

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question...and I have to say, I'm afraid of the answer...

I was aware of January's release of the Ultimate Star Wars release, but passed on it because I already have the CDs and my understanding was those were left untouched. I knew the vinyl releases were re-mastered, but without access to a record player for listening and the price point, I assumed it was best to pass as well.

Now I am just now learning of the Digital release that has been re-mastered and is presented in 24-bit audio. (ugh)

My question is perhaps over thinking my project a bit.

Given that I am using some pieces of unreleased music; given that my WAV editing has been using all official CD's from my own collection, ripped to 16-bit...

AND given that my distribution is eventually 320 MP3 and FLAC (Which I suppose could be upped to 24-bit)...

Should I go through and re-edit using the DIGITAL collection releases?

The problem is I am still left with some unreleased music at lower quality, the TPM ultimate edition and OT SE scores will also only be at max their 16-bit poor mixes.

Should I be using the best possible audio for the majority of my mixing?

OR, do I wait until all source music is released at 24-bit (which may in fact, never happen?

What are your thoughts?

Take a listen on YouTube for use of the various TPM source music:

Thanks guys...

I actually made a small attempt today, but realize the speeds of tracks are different. I was only working on Princess Leia's theme and I can't just plug in new versions as it screws up all the other edits. I may try to make some selection based on distortion, such as swapping out "The Walls Converge" away from the SE which has terrible clipping.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you, it's really great listen. :) I like how you've honed in on a small interlude in the score and expanded it to a very relaxing, mellow piece of music - meditative in it's nature. Anyone who hasn't been joining in is missing out! I've enjoyed your entire "Symphony For A Saga"-project since your first upload back in the day, but I am glad to update to a lossless format since I was only in to mp3's back then.

I remember that you updated your original work with a 2.0-version where you tinkered a bit with your original release. I was wondering if these new uploads might represent a "3.0" of sorts?

rough cut...

Its a good question...yes, I have tinkered...but in a more minor way than you think. I recently added 1-2 second gaps at the end of each piece. In fact, I am uploading those new files of TPM tonight. I was finding that the iPod was playing the next file immediately without much of a pause. I wanted to construct a better flow of listening to suites back to back, or even singles in a combined album.

With the release of the Ultimate Digital Collection and 24 bit, I was hoping to use that as a source. But I actually found the prequel trilogy (at least in the download I obtained) were only presented in standard 16-bit FLAC. So I haven't fiddled with these prequel pieces other than the gaps.

Further, I have moved away from the v2.0 label, especially since its been (gulp) 11 years since the original project!!!!! What I am releasing now is simply "STAR WARS: Symphony for a Saga".

Now, I did go back into my ANH Suite and just finished adding the new LP master of a few pieces, specifically "The Walls Converge," because my copy of the Special Edition soundtrack was clipping quite bad and had several pops and clicks I couldn't remove. I wanted to try and find a similar piece for TESB Suite I am finishing up, because the post Carbonite freeze "Funeral March" clips in similar ways...but of course the cue I want wasn't on the LP program. I did use several bits from the TESB LP master in the new suite, and am really excited about that project. My first edit of that suite was an embarrassingly long 37 minutes. I am finalizing the suite around the 30 minute mark as we speak. I have yet to begin ROTJ, so I wouldn't look for that until after summer, unless the edit moves quickly.

But these classic trilogy pieces (except for ANH Single) is going to be all new stuff for fans. For TFA, I am listening to both the OST and FYC releases frequently to figure out how to complete that suite. Of course, I am looking for any fans who have created a nice lossless release of "Ways of the Force" with "Burning Homestead" edited in to hear how it works. Has there been a Fan edit of combining the OST with FYC yet?

But here is the Attack of the Clones Suite, released today...and available for download later tonight on the website.

I wanted to know if anyone has experience with the copyright issues on YouTube. This latest video was blocked. But, for some reason the other videos are allowed to play, and "The Phantom Menace Suite" has twice as many copyright claims. Any idea why one video is allowed to pay, and this one is not?

Here is an alternative hosting option for the Suite video on Vimeo:

STAR WARS: Symphony for a Saga - Attack of the Clones Suite from Star Wars Symphony on Vimeo.

Adding the pause... That's a good change! It'll help creating a better flow, just as you say. I'll make sure to get the new version.

I should have known that your'd be hard at work with the OT-suites... and by the sound of it, also making plans for a TFA-suite. :) Good news indeed! It'll be fun to hear the choices and edits you've made regarding TESB since there's such a wealth of material to choose from (37 minutes doesn't sound long at all - that had to be some tough decisions already).

I've only heard the ANH-single and the OT-preview.... I hope you're planning on re-releasing that sweet OT-preview again as well!

I most certainly am...

I will try to update the TPM links with the new pause in the files today and tomorrow. I'll let you know when they are up. 

UPDATE: Rough Cut....the TPM links have been updated with the current files. Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the last single for the prequel trilogy, "The Lava Planet."

For those that have been asking, I have included the bonus track "The Classic Trilogy" with this archive. Previously I had called it the OT Preview. Same track now...enjoy.

As for updates on the project, I made some additional changes to A New Hope even this past week. Empire's suite is looking good, and I have a few solid movements for ROTJ coming. It won't be long now...

• 2 weeks later...

Pieter, you'll get a kick out of this at least. The first cut of Jedi clocks in at 32 minutes. Eek. 

On 30-5-2016 at 10:50 AM, Todd said:

Pieter, you'll get a kick out of this at least. The first cut of Jedi clocks in at 32 minutes. Eek. 

You're basically redoing the OST, I think. :P

Soon I am going to update my digital music collection. I'll be sure to add your work to it then as well.

They're great if you want to listen to the albums, but don't actually have time for that. :music:

Ugh...I hate cutting stuff out. But I am so limited to time. I need to axe 7 minutes. I am cutting an extension of Palpatine's theme and already cut out a new section. Grr. But quality on these two (audio quality) is not the best and even I cannot enhance them to where they need to be. I am not sure what my next cut is but it needs to be about 3 minutes. 

• 3 weeks later...

Been listening to the Prequel suites this weekend, followed by the Classic Trilogy Preview and the single from ANH... A terrific listen! I was one of lucky ones who's had them since you made them public eight years ago, and I still think enjoy Symphony For A Saga as much now as I did then!

I've also been reading your liner notes, and I must say that you've given quite some thought into this project. One can really tell that you've got a good grasp on John Williams' Star Wars music and what the music represents in each scene and how it all connects. Although - it's quite bold of you to state that Across The Stars isn't the love theme from AOTC. :P

Keep up the good work!

Thanks, rough cut. The entire project is bold, for sure. 

I just remember reading the liner notes for the original LP over and over, and again with the Anthology and SE releases. I wanted to try and capture the same thing here. I would love to make physical packaging for each trilogy, but it will never happen. Someone once joked on a board about how Sony should take my set and release it officially, LOL. I have no need for that kind of fame...but it would be nice. 

I was just tweaking the cover art and giving a final quality check to the A New Hope Suite this evening. I plan to release it next week! 

I made some adjustments to Empire as well, and am honing in on a final edit of Jedi. I just need to mix that last one (which will be a pain). I want to try and make some additions to the single release for Empire to distinguish it from the "in suite" version. But I am quite happy with how this trilogy is turning out. 

I'm quite looming forward to the remainder of your project.

These relatively short bit inspired presentations are pretty great when you want to hear familiar music in a different way and/or you're short on time to listen the longer official versions.

Pieter...

I had been thinking a lot about your comment previously about length and that essentially it is redoing the OST. One thing I am frustrated with considering the classic trilogy, is I certainly feel more locked into chronology while editing. I have made some attempt to thrust pieces out of chronology as much as possible because I want to avoid an abbreviated isolated film score. I was more successful with the prequel films, probably because I am less attached to that music. A New Hope proved to be much more of a challenge, although I achieved some good moments early on--but the majority flows chronologically. 

I realized its even worse for Empire and Jedi. I hope that doesn't turn out to be a distracting weakness for the suites. 

I listened to the OST of A New Hope a while back and found the presentation quite distracting.

This is mainly because I'm used to the chronological version instead.

But with your suite version, I did not have that at all.

So in my book at least, it is more well done than the OST is.

I don't know what thought went into the jumbled up OST presentations for many of Williams' scores. Sometimes they work like that, but mostly they don't for me.

So I am absolutely convinced that your edits have had a LOT more thought and attention put into them than the actual OSTs.

You've only been at it for 10 years, after all. ;)

Well, when you put it that way. Hard to believe my first release was 2005. 11 years. Never would have thought I would have a third trilogy to work on. I still have no idea how to crack TFA. But I am extremely confident a Kylo Ren concert theme will be the single. 

38 minutes ago, Todd said:

But I am extremely confident a Kylo Ren concert theme will be the single. 

Now that sounds extremely interesting.

I remember someone whipped up a quickie of that before, which was pretty good in concept, but needed better edits.

So I'll be looking (hearing?) forward to your version very much!

It may be a wait...I haven't even begun to edit. I will probably take a break after Jedi. Patience is appreciated. :D

I'll keep twirling my thumbs for a while longer then.

All I care about here is that you finish your project. But you are of course welcome to do so at your leasure.

It's a fun hobby project after all, right? ;)

Quite fun yet frustrating. In keeping to an 80 minute time mark, I realized I miscalculated and I was over by 59 seconds on the classics. I had to figure out how to trim a minute from Jedi. I think I have a solution, I just need to play test. I have ANH at 25:08, and it is locked for Friday release. Just some minor changes. Empire is a bohemouth at 30:18, and I just can't seem to cut anywhere. I have one edit I am unhappy with and will try to make that work. It also seems the singles for this set are all the first movement, with substantial differences not heard in the suite.

Ha! What do you hope that single will be, rough cut? I hate to disappoint, but it is what it is at this point!

Do we not have one? ;)

although I did make changes to the theme and didn't include the entire March as I had originally, this is not the single for TESB.

But I like the game!

Whatever it is, I'm sure it won't disappoint!

A couple of years ago I did a cut-and-paste arrangement of the Han And Leia-theme that turned out quite well - I certainly wouldn't mind to hear your take on that!

If it isn't that one, I've got one more guess that I'd hope for...

Well, rough cut, I really wanted that single to be "Han Solo and the Princess", especially to mirror "Anakin and the Senator," but alas, I could not make it work. Empire is scored very differently, in my mind. So many cues end with a transition back to scenes with the Vader's theme music. It truncates some great sections, and I made every effort to get a creative version of "Han Solo and the Princess" to work. While the theme is represented at the end of the suite quite nicely, I couldn't make it work the way I wanted to for a single.

The Kiss cue is a perfect example of a truncated cue that I couldn't find anything to satisfactorily extend the music with.

I don't have the LSO recording of the theme, nor have I heard it. But I do have a Prague theme, which I mastered quite extensively to blend better with the soundtracks. I tried to use it to fill the gaps, but it did not blend very well at all with the soundtrack recordings. I did use a barely truncated version of that theme with a single edit at the end to cut out the short reprise, and did have that in the middle of the 37 minute version of the suite...but I deleted it. That section will be released as B-Side to the official single. ;)

Better late that never, by a few hours. Thanks for patience from those who have supported. I'm not sure if many read this...11 years ago, this project was huge, and the support from JWFan was outstanding. Thanks for all the praise over the years. It is time for some new material...

ANH.Suite from Star Wars Symphony on Vimeo.

Files are on the website. Please let me know what you think!

Just listened to it and let me tell you... It's fantastic. Thank you most kindly for your hard work and for sharing it! :) I hope it gets the praise and appreciation it deserves among JW-fans - new and old a like.

Any other guesses on the next single? Or are we enjoying the "A New Hope Suite" too much?