STAR WARS : Symphony for a Saga

Todd

On 2016-06-30 at 0:34 PM, rough cut said:

A couple of years ago I did a cut-and-paste arrangement of the Han And Leia-theme that turned out quite well - I certainly wouldn't mind to hear your take on that!

Haha, aborted single or not, I'd still say I was spot on! This was great! I've listened to your edit of "Han Solo & The Princess (Bonus)" a few times now, but still need time to properly point out the differences from the concert arrangements done by The National Philharmonic and the Prague Philharmonic Orchestra. How did you try to make it different compared to those arrangemenets? How much did you end up using from the original score?

On a genereal note regarding your work - There are alot of fan made suites floating around the web, but yours are the only ones I've kept in my library. I have especially appreciated the singles for TPM and AOTC where you have created more complete melodic structures compared to what is offered in the official scores. I also think it's nice that you've taken the time to think about such things as titles: Naming the single from AOTC "Anakin & The Senator" - which is a clear reference to the title "Han Solo & The Princess" (as you also state in your liner notes) - is a nice touch that any JW- or SW-fan can appreciate.

Keep the good stuff coming!

Rough cut, I never got the film music to represent well for Han Solo and the Princess. I could never make it work. I just remastered the Prague performance to death and removed the theme reprise from the ending. Not much work went into that deleted track. I hate to disappoint. 

My my goal was always to complete more complete themes, though it was easier with Qui-Gon and Anakin & the Senator. But, I am confident you will be in love with the Return of the Jedi single. ?

I will do my best to get the Empire suite out this week around Friday.

Fantastic stuff, Todd! Thanks a lot for making these. This new one is perhaps your best yet.

Been meaning to post here for a while how great I think your Qui-Gon suite is. That's one of my favorite themes in The Phantom Menace, and I appreciate your effort in realizing it as it's own concert piece. Have listened to that quite a lot over the years, alongside the rest of your entries in this project of yours. 

Best yet? I certainly appreciate the praise. For a long time I thought the original Star Wars score was the best, but one of the reasons this ended up so long was because of all the fantastic themes and cues. I love this score (and film) the most. 

The he original cut of 37+ minutes was such a smooth listening, it was quite difficult to cut it up.

thanks for the support, all.

There are two moments that stand out in the ESB suite for me: The first is the part you call "Bounty Hunters." I like how you taken Dagobah music and overdubbed it with Boba Fett's theme. Very imaginative!

The second is what you call "The Funeral March." That little reoccurring fanfare is a testament to John Williams' ability to write short but memorable melodies that help tie the movie (and score) together. It's very fulfilling to hear them all as one continuous piece.

Well done!

Thank you, rough cut! I love those sections. The Funeral March is such a great theme. With critical listening, I discovered how Empire was filled with these themes, even beyond Jedi. This is why Empire is so darn long. :D

But how about some Return of the Jedi? Here is the new single, "The Court of Jabba the Hutt."

I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on the sound quality. This track blends four different sources...and as week now, the mastering work on JEDI is always problematic.

thanks!

This single uses the Anthology, Special Edition, Digital Ultimate Edition and a concert version of Jabba's theme..but right now I am not sure if that is Prague or another orchestra. 

Concerning "At the court of Jabba the Hutt"... General thoughts on sound quality is that it all blends together nicely!

Thematically, it's a fun listen as well. It plays out like an extended, alernate version of Jabba's theme.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you so, so much for setting out on this ambitious project, completing said project, and then being kind enough to share it all with us. 

It's been great fun watching the evolution of this project, and even more fun listening to your outputs. Your work is, beyond exaggeration, simply fantastic, and I have honestly found myself listening to at least one of the components to this "symphony" on a daily basis for the last several months. 

So, simply put, thank you. :)

Major congratulations! I've just returned from vacation and I'm sure that now I'm back, I'll be enjoying this a lot. :D

Still holding out hope for Kylo Ren's Theme though! Maybe one day....

My suggested release date would be to have it done before Episode 8 hits theaters. ;)

Thank you, Rough Cut! It has been a labor of love, for certain. I always wanted to create a nice PDF booklet for the suites and imagined what official packaging looked like. I love the original SE releases, and felt like that format would be pretty cool for this work. It's great to listen to them together...though I haven't listened to all six in a row just yet. The Classic Trilogy plays quite nicely.

• 1 month later...

This is a nice surprise after checking in on this thread for the first time in a year or so.  Awesome work on the Classic Suites, and thanks for putting all these together!  These suites are permanent parts of my Star Wars playlist. :)

• 3 weeks later...