STAR WARS : Symphony for a Saga

Todd

i like having the suite in one long track. tlbauerle, this is amazing! the transitions are seamless. thank you so much for this. now i can't wait for the rest of them!

This is awesome! Execellent work tlbauerle, althought I having problems downloading the tracked file so i have to download suite one in one long track which turn out fine but with the tracked file the download start of well and by the time it gets about 15% downloaded it slows down and gets slower and slower.

Anyone else having download issues?

As for FLAG PARADE, that is what most people say, but I have a much greater affinity to the other cues and themes...and well, something has to go. It also doesn't fit real well with the other selections.

However, I am considering a bonus disc of additonal suites, so perhaps this will show up then.

Any other feedback from the 60 other people who have downloaded this?

Just listened to it, and I love it as a full suite! I really can't add anything else to the previous positive comments, because I agree on all counts. The transitions really feel seamless, and it captures the essence of the first film very well.

Bravo! Bring on Ep 2 and 3!

I listened to it and in my opinion it needs an action cues suite similar to the one you made for AotC (that I loved). The absence of The Flag Parade, Escape from naboo and The Tide Turns, as well as the battle of Naboo and Rescuing the Queen has no excuse. I think you should really consider adding an action suite with material from those cues.

But, then again, this is my opinion.

Downloading now. The Flag parade can be a fine standalone, but it's not 100% necessary in the suite. And Escape From Naboo has been so overplayed now (4 times in 3 movies) that I don't care for its inclusion... anywhere.

Excellent stuff. I like that it doesn't rely heavily on the themes. I'll be interested to hear your suites from the others (I'm holding out until your v2.0s are ready).

Hey, thanks for letting me take a listen. As I promised, here is some feedback. I love how the edits flow really well together. What program did you use? Sorry, if you say in your notes, I didn't get a chance to read them. The first few parts from Main Title to The Trade Federation March worked really well. But from there the suite seemed to lose steam. I think maybe by switching Duel of the Fates with Anakin's Theme might give it some boost in the end. Or like deimos said, add some of the scores later action cues to give the suite a big finale. That's my two cents, for what its worth, but I really enjoye it and I look foward to hearing what you come up with next.

Really an excellent work!! Congratulations!

But what I am missing is "Augie's Great Municipal Band"! It's a very beautiful and funny track and it describes the long wanted peace between the Gungans and Naboo! This is really missing! Because all in all your suite is very sad altough there are also happy situations in the Phantom menace! This is my opinion!

But I am so thankful for this suite! THANKS

This is great! I am downloading straight away!

I listened to your previous prequel suite again a few days ago and really liked it. Very good job. I am very much looking forward to your new version.

I downloaded Qui-Gon Jinn's theme from your site quite some time ago, but haven't yet commented on it, so I will now: Very impressive indeed! If I finally manage to edit a proper complete version of TPM, I will add all concert suites to it, including yours. Yours will probably be the best edited track on my complete version; I am no great music editor myself, so the rest of the tracks won't be quite as good. :mrgreen:

I usually make a small cover picture for all music I have on my HD, so when I downloaded your first suite, I also made some cover pictures for it. In case you'd like to see them:

pt.jpg

Prequel Trilogy cover

ot.jpg

Original Trilogy cover

Please note: I didn't actually make the pictures themselves; I just added the text. I found the pictures somewhere on the internet. If you like, I can send larger versions to you. I have them in MS Word format, so you can easily edit them, change the text or add some more text.

Thanks a lot for the awesome symphony. I've been listening to it since yesterday evening but just now have a chance to comment. I really enjoyed the entire thing as a whole. Seems to all flow very nicely. Some of the edits jumped out at me at first, but I think that's only because I'm right in the middle of editing the complete TPM score. After listening a couple more times they seemed a lot smoother and natural.

I downloaded the tracked flac version, but even burning with zero track spacing I'm still getting some slight pops between some of the tracks so I'll probably go back and get the full one track suite for listening all the way through. But excellent job and a great listen! Thanks

Thanks for all the feedback everyone!

I made quite a few concious choices in leaving some themes and cues out. Firstly, this really needed to stay at this length in order to fit all three prequels on a single disc. I only have just under 80 minutes to do three films. If you weren't aware, the first suite came in at 15min, AOTC was about 19, and SITH came in close to 30min.

AOTC so far is around 19min without adding the last five-minute sequence...which I think has to be cut down. There may be no Imperial March or end credit Reprise for AOTC this time around....because it is redundant. We'll see...it does break my theme redundancy rule quite a bit. (Although I have yet to be successful with a decent 'Force Theme' concert style suite.)

As for leaving out themes from TPM, It was really a matter of time. In addition, I made a concious choice in delivering more serious music and cutting the 'fun' pieces. Thats why Jar Jar's theme is absent, and the triumph of 'The Flag Parade' is missing. It wasn't fitting well with the tone of the suite or what I thought was priority for a >25min suite.

Priority for me is was the main story. To this day I feel the entire sidetrack to Tatooine, espeically the Pod Race is a poor excuse for an action sequence. The main story is A) The Trade Federation and its blockade of Naboo, B)The discovery of the Force-sensative Anakin, C) the 'phantom menace' and Palpatine's rise as Chancellor, D) and Qui-Gon Jinn's life and death. Those story points are in fact, quite sad...as is the entire arc of the Prequel trilogy.

In addition, I felt 'Augie's Great Municipal Band' is source music, which has been cut entirely from the Symphony.

With regard to 'Escape From Naboo', it was specifically cut in rebellion to having it tracked four time in the Prequel trilogy. With 'The Tide Turns', 'The Battle of Naboo' and 'Rescuing the Queen', I wanted to stay as far away from the end music as possible. So much of it was either to light and cheerful, or quoted 'Duel of the Fates' and 'The Trade Federation March,' and I was trying to avoid theme repetition.

In regard to an action sequence, I would have had to rely on the above music, and felt it best to cut the idea all together.

However, I do have some additional suite ideas for a potential bonus third disc, similar to the fourth disc on the Anthology, that would feature some music left out of these suites.

=======================================

The program I used is Sonic Foundry's ACID. I think these edits are so superior to the last version...its like night and day.

However, they most certainly will jump out at people who know the score well. That being said, it is the reason why the OT is so difficult to edit. Everyone has affection for the film version and soundtrack experience.

It is funny how taking the time to edit the music gets you so intimately acquianted with it.

Thanks for the comments and opinions, even if it is not gushing, I appreciate it and it gives an opportunity to discuss my thoughts behind this work! I feel much more satisfied in listening to this version over the last...as it feels more full, and more complete.

Thanks again, I look forward to hearing more from others!

Great job. I checked musicofstarwars weekly all winter and believed you dropped the project! I dropped a link to the site at the HTF (note the timestamp, I was all over the v2 release - the file share site had me listed as the 1st to d/l the 320 suite).

It really is better than v1. The edits are high quality, the single track is good for ipod owners, and the selection/length is good. My only content compaint would be the opening track - I'd rather that 1:00+ went to TPM (assumming AOTC and ROTS will be about 20 minutes also) and the opening/closing can be released as part of the bonus content you've mentioned. Or minimally the opening/closing can be released seperate from the single track suite.

I didn't even notice the flag parade was omitted, and the funeral theme will hopefully make an appearance in the ROTS suite.

Great work, and don't keep us waiting 6 months for the AOTC suite. I can't wait to drop all of these onto 2 discs.

Very very good. Your edits are way better than in the UE. Completely seamless. I love the way you encapsulated all the concepts and atmospheres of score in small segments. Very very good jog. Can't wait to hear more of this.

Hey all...

I'm getting ready to get serious with AOTC v2.

First one thing I was hoping to hear from everyone was how they liked this latest TPM when compared to the original release from last year.

For example, I know a major complaint was Duel of the Fates last time. How is the improvement this time around?

What are some thoughts on the other extended sequences?

You're feedback helps me in the editing process, believe me. For example, I'll certainly be doing something about the 'Love and Loss' track that was way too long in the last AOTC.

Thanks all, I appreciate it. BTW, anyone interested in editing some video to this?

Todd-

It's professional level fan made works such as this that renew my love for Star Wars and make me feel like a kid again. Bravo.

I thoroughly enjoyed your first release. It made my five hour trips home from college feel shorter.

Your new version of the Duel of the Fates, however, is much improved. I love the layering at 1:24 in the track. It feel like a natural part of the score, like another section of the orchestra is playing it, and just adds to the excitement.

Once again, a job well done.

Wow...thanks for that 'professional level' comment. Its more along the lines of...I'm to darn anal and a perfectionist when it comes to stuff like this...but honestly, the fact that this project has helped 'renew' your love for SW is the entire point of the project. I am really trying to make a work that fans enjoy.

As for Duel of the Fates, I certainly appreciate the feedback. Perhaps I have a more critical ear after doing this for, what feels like so long. What I've found is the music almost writes itself when it comes down to editing. The layering is one of those examples that happened almost by accident and after some tweaking, is one of my favorite parts of this track, aside from the use of the instrumental version at the beginning.

Thanks so much!

----------------------

By the way all...I'm working on the single for AOTCv2. Any guesses to what it'll be?

My guess would be some part of the Across the Stars theme.... I seem to remember you mentioning somewhere before that you really liked that theme... but I could be wrong.

I'm waiting for the AotC and RotS suites.

You'll have a long wait then! I'm in talks with a few video editors and getting started with that phase of the project will be taking the majority of the time.

Plus, I'm working with an artist in making covers for each release. The covers for TPM will be the next things released...and hopefully that will come soon. Then the single cover for AOTC will announce the title of the next single after that...probably in late April with the single release in May.

As for video release dates, it is way to early to tell. Hopefully we'll have the first trailer before summer.

Until then, everyone's continued feedback throughout each phase of the project is helping to attract new listeners and fans. Almost everytime someone makes a post or leaves a comment, one, two, or three people ask me if they can give it a listen, so feedback is very important to attracting people to this project!

Thanks!

I suppose I'll add my two cents. I think this is a very good suite, and I very much look forward to hearing the final version of the entire symphony. I must give you credit, Todd, because finding twenty minutes of music from a film that had 120 minutes of music and editing it to comprehensively reflect the mood and style of the overall film and score must be difficult. But I think you pulled it off.

I like that the flag Parade isn't in the suite. It's a great piece of music, but I'm not sure it fits in a suite designed like this. It captures the feel of that scene in the movie, but doens't connect with much else and doesn't reflect much else about the score. It's kind of its own set piece, like the scene itself - which I'll admit I like very much - and I'm not sure it belongs in a two hour symphony of a 12 or 13 hour saga.

One thing I noticed was that the Otoh Gunga music seemed slightly different than on either edition of the soundtrack. Maybe it's in a different key, I don't know. But it sounded slightly different. Also, I'm trying to download disc two of version 1 of the symphony, but the site won't allow me to do so. Is there anything that can be done about this. I'm very eager to hear the whole thing, even though it's a work in progress. Thanks.

Ted

I'll check on my old Version 1 downloads, Ted...and get back to everyone.

As for Otoh Gunga...DING...it most certainly is in a different key. I believe it is transposed down a half step. This helped blend it in with the end of the first cue and put it in the same key as the opening of Duel of the Fates. Very keen ear in deed. I have used key changes several times in TPM, and already in AOTC as well, even if it is only in layering.

As for the Flag Parade, you make some great points. Since I have tried to keep the video aspect of this project in mind, I came very much to the same conclusion...it was very scene specific and doesn't fit. This project is trying to use the music in new ways. I think that has been done very well, but not as well for the OT. I'll try to do that better next time, but it seems much harder to edit the OT music.

Plus, I think we'll be a bit closer to 145 to 155 minutes of music by the end. That will make a long DVD to watch. (And yes, that is the ultimate goal...replacing A MUSICAL JOURNEY).

As for those who inquired as to downloading the suite, check your PMs.

• 4 weeks later...

I pretty much have AOTC assembled. It is not as dramatically different as TPM, but does feature much better edits and several much needed extentions.

I have the single assembled as well. All I need to do is master it. The current mix sounds great with my headphones...not so great on a bigger system.

No, I did not really master TPM, and the only reason I'm bothering with a remaster for AOTC is there is so much darn tape hiss...

• 1 month later...

Okay...

I'm getting a bit tired of this routine here...I've been looking for a top notch video editor to put video to this project for over a year now. I've had three video editors enthusiastically join the project...and all three have backed out. Only one has given me the courtesy of letting me know why they have quit the project, and that was fear of reprisals from LFL.

So if anyone gives a rat's ass about the video project for SYMPHONY FOR A SAGA, please let me know. I've said it before...I'd do it myself if I had the know how or time. If someone can rip DVDs and center channel FX, I could probably assemble it myself in Final Cut or something...

So...if anyone is interested, PM me.

I've only been able to listen to this once, but I'm impressed. I love how the "Waters of Otoh Gunga" flows into "Duel of the Fates." That was very cool and unanticipated (I didn't read the "movement listings" beforehand), so hearing DOTF right after the peaceful Gungan music was rather nice. I also really like Qui-Gon's theme as an (almost) complete theme rendition. The segues and edits are amazing. I'm going to have to listen to it again more carefully.

I can't wait to hear AOTC's Symphony. Well done.

• 2 months later...

Well, I moved at the end of spring from Arizona to Utah, and my new job is the group foster home parents of eight juvinille delinquents...so I've been busy a summer!!!

As for the mastering...I've debated about trying to improve the sound quality to eliminate some of AOTC's hiss...and I just don't feel well sacrificing some of the fidelity. I'm scrutinizing the mix as we speak and will hopefully get around to releasing officially soon.

I'm having someone do cover art for the single releases, and when AOTC's single art is done, I'll announce the title of the single via that.

Speaking of art...if anyone wants to submit cover ideas for the TPMv2 suite...please do so! I would like a cover made for each suite with a similar style.

Plus if anyone wants to cut some video, please let me know!

Thanks for the request...I'll get back on the horse.

Just listened to it and I'd like to add to the positive feedback. Great listening experience.

I loved what you did with Dual of the Fates. Breath of fresh air on what has become an almost too familiar track, even with all the alternative recordings available. As for the above mentioned layering, it really did sound like it was performed that way and, in my opinion, its actually an improvement on the original!

Thanks again and cant wait to hear what you do with the others!

I think I'm still waiting for the entire prequel suite before commenting on TPM. I don't think I've actually listened to v2.0 of TPM yet(!), just because I wanted to wait.

- Marc, who'll definitely check out the entire v2.0 symphony when it's done.

New Update:

Here is the cover art for the previously released TPM single, "Jedi Master, Qui-Gon Jinn's Theme" and a statement from the artist:

tpmsinglecoversh6.th.jpg

I really wanted to have Qui-Gon be a strong central figure, as this is who the single is about. Not surprisingly, the music describing Qui-Gon is soft and flowing, with a little bit of "spunk." I think Williams accurately described his character. Qui-Gon is an intellectual icon of pacifism, patience, and stability. I chose a strong, defensive pose, but included his lightsaber as this is a defining feature of any Jedi's character.

I also took a reductionist view, placing Qui-Gon in the background of Naboo (which might also be described by the majority of the music) and giving the background more of a hand-drawn look. Too often the artistic elements of STAR WARS are over-looked, and the cover for this single is the perfect time to reemphasize the fact that Star Wars is also an artistic concept. Having Qui-Gon become a rendered figure from a 2D draft shows his ascendance out of this world and concepts into a valid symbol.

By keeling the background white, I intend to represent the symbolic purity of Qui-Gon, a talent that so many Jedi are losing at the time of THE PHANTOM MENACE. Yet, Qui-Gon's energy, displayed as similar to the green energy of his lightsaber blade, pervades the sky above Naboo (itself a peaceful, intellectual and rational planet), presenting him as a holy symbol of Jedi enlightenment to both Anakin and Obi-Wan Kenobi (which is what I think is Qui-Gon's dominant role in the saga). It also helps to cover the faster phrases in the single.

AOTC's single artwork should be done soon!

That looks pretty nice! I should also add that I very much liked your work on the Symphony of a Saga suites. It's a great listen. I especially like the concert suite you made of Qui-Gon's theme. I am going to add that onto my complete Episode I version.