The Best Oscar-winning Original Score of the 1990s, non-JW

Trumpeteer

What's the best non-Williams Oscar-winning score of the 1990s?  

45 members have voted

1. 1.

• Dances With Wolves (1990)
    • Beauty and the Beast (1991)
    • Aladdin (1992)
    • The Lion King (1994)
    • Pocahontas (1995)
    • The Postman (Il Postino) (1995)
    • Emma (1996)
    • The English Patient (1996)
    • The Full Monty (1997)
    • Titanic (1998)
    • The Red Violin (1999)

"The Omen" has moved on as the best Oscar-winning Original Score of the 1970s. "Out of Africa" trounced the field of the 1980s. Now it's time to vote on the best non-John Williams Oscar-winning score of the 1990s. The winner will face "The Omen" and "Out of Africa," as well as the winner from the '00s.

Note: In 1995-1998, two Oscars were given each year, for the Best Original Musical or Comedy Score and Best Dramatic Score. All eight winners will be in the poll.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not very interested about this mickey-mouse decade.

I voted for the English Patient , quite beautiful.

Titanic is also good(except that megahit , ruined by Dion with her manners) :thumbup:

I like Corigliano's concert works more than this violin thing.

The scores to Dances With Wolves, Beauty and the Beast, The Lion King, and The Red Violin are all fantastic. This was definatly the most diffucult vote but in the end I had to go for Barry's Dances With Wolves. Glorious themes from wall to wall this one!

Justin - Who would put The Lion King in the runner-up spot. (Although note that I'm not as familier with The Red Violin as the other entries.)

25 million people disagree with you Alex.

They can't all be wrong.

25 million grannies, you mean. What a granny selection.

25 million that bought the album soley for the pop song, caring little to nothing for the actual score music.

Tim, who voted Red Violin.

Hi, guys! I noticed a descrepancy in the poll. Titanic won the Dramatic Score Oscar in 1997, with Dudley's The Full Monty taking Comedic. The 1998 winners were (dramatic) La Vita E Bella by Nicola Piovani and (comedic) Shakespeare In Love by Stephen Warbeck.

In my opinion, the best composition was The Red Violin, but my favorite, undoubtedly, is Dances With Wolves.

I would've loved to have said Forrest Gump or Apollo 13, but, alas, inferior scores were awarded the Oscars.

You gotta admit, though. Bacalov's theme to Il Postino is very nice. Perhaps not worthy of an Oscar, but quite an enchanting theme nevertheless.

Anyway - that's what I think. I hope you all are well. Take care, and, till next time...

----Director

Titanic's good, but not oscar-worthy. I pick Dances with Wolves.

bull$hit, Titanic is great, and the best of the 90's, better than any Oscar winning score of the 90's including the overrated SL.

Titanic is overrated, Schindler's List is an absolute masterpiece.

It sure is. Titanic is just a piece of kitschy trash.

I woulnd't go as far as that, at least it works well within the film context. Still I don't find it Oscar worthy.

Still I don't find it Oscar worthy.

but the academy wisely did, and SL is not an absolute Masterpiece, its not even among John's best works.

Still I don't find it Oscar worthy.

but the academy wisely did, and SL is not an absolute Masterpiece, its not even among John's best works.

OK, it's not Williams best work... That must be either Angela's Ashes or Memoirs of a Geisha.

And by the way, the Academy has never been wise, and they surely didn't started being in the Titanic year!

Miguel, you know its not John's best work, even you love ET above it. Memoirs is quite good, and I hope it wins, but its not the same caliber as Jaws, Star Wars, ET, or even SL, but its the best on this years list.

scissorhands - who expected Ross to vote for some Disney score  ;)

When it comes to rate a score, I consider "fun" to be less important than "interesting". I guess more than a few members here disagree with me on that one.

Still, a lot of Menken's music for Disney is underrated - some people refuse to consider it important because they belong to cartoon movies, while others resent them for winning an Oscar each.