Favorite Force theme renditions

Ontyrian

Hello. (been gone a while) What are your favorite Force theme renditions?

My favorites: EpI- The Tide Turns (the 1st one), EpII- The Arena (at end), EpIII- Revenge of the Sith (beg.), EpIII- dvd- Goodbye Old Friend (Kenobi flys away), EpIV- Binary Sunset ("), EpIV- The Throne Room (beg), EpV- Yoda and the Force (beg), EpVI- Dark Side Beckons (Vader kills Sidious), EpVI- Light of the Force (2nd one-w/ trumpets)

This is my favorite theme from the Saga, and I enjoy all variations on it! Have a great day! :)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

EPI - Anakin leaving home, Tide Turns

EPII - The bit where Anakin rides off into the distance

EPIII - Beginning bit and Goodbye Old Friend

EPIV - Binary Sunset, Tales of a Jedi Knight and Throne Room duh

EPV - The bit where the camera focuses on Leia and she asks Lando to turn back for Luke (probably my fav one)

EPVI - Light of the Force

I couldn't name a single favorite, and it's even pretty hard for me to name favorites from each film. Some of the ones that stand out in my mind are:

"Light of the Force" (both versions, although I much prefer the film version, which doesn't have trumpets, Ontyrian)

"Goodbye Old Friend" (a very stirring cue overall)

"Binary Sunset" (and its counterpart in AOTC)

"Anakin is Free" (a statement of the theme so powerful and moving that it would have been more appropriate in ROTS ;))

I used to love the Throne Room march version so much. I still enjoy it a lot, but not quite as much as I used to. Now I like it more for sentimental reasons. The good old days when Dad would take out his record player... :)

My two favorites in the PT are both from TPM. Anakin is Free and from the space battle when DOTF and the Force theme are intertwined.

Of course Binary Sunset in the OT. You can't get any more perfect than that.

One of the things I've always said about the Force theme from the two trilogies is how they are used differently. The OT uses the Force theme in a more somber/remembrance/respectful way. The PT on the other uses the theme more as an action motif than anything else. I feel it is done this way since the Jedi aren't killed off yet.

What do you guys think?

I like any rendition where the theme is played completely.

I hate when they just tease us with the first phrase and don't go into the second one.

I was thinking the other day about how RotS changes the chord structure of the Force theme; the IV chord in the end of the first phrase is changed to a neapolitan (bII) chord. This change presents itself in every rendition of the Force theme except for the first one in "Plans for the Twins" (and the reused "Throne Room" music) - even the finale music inspired by "Binary Sunset." The change seems to reflect well the finality and desperation of the protagonists at this point in the series, but other times... I just don't like it. Interestingly, RotS isn't actually the first film to use the Force theme with a neapolitan chord. "Anakin Is Free" from TPM also uses it, though the orchestration is so rich I didn't notice it until recently. There may even be a point in the Original Trilogy...

Stewdog, you brought up an interesting point. There is a marked difference between Maestro Williams' uses of this theme in the PT and OT. Like you said, the OT mainly used the Force theme to convey a respectful sentimentalism toward the days of the Old Republic and of the Jedi Order. There are some very solemn, bittersweet renditions in the OT. In the PT, I often get the impression that the theme serves to create nostalgia for that nostalgia...if that makes sense. As if the Force theme doesn't just represent the light side of the Force and the Jedi--it also reminds us that all this will come to an end. In ROTS especially, Maestro Williams seems to have partially returned to the old ANH symbolism--he uses this theme more as "Ben's Theme" than "The Force Theme." It seems like whenever Obi-Wan does something or goes somewhere, we hear the theme.

So a lot of times, these PT statements are just one-phrase teases, like you mentioned, foxfan. Unlike you, I actually like these thematic fragments in most cases. Usually, these serve pretty nicely as a reminder. Imagine if Maestro Williams used the entire theme every time he wanted to simply hint at that melody? It would often be inappropriate to the film.

What I really[i/] hate is when a great fragment of another melody or tone color is heard--but one that is never fully explored. Ever. I hear this in a lot of musical works. In the case of the Star Wars saga, General Grievous's theme is one such melody. Two statements of it were recorded ("The Elevator Scene" and "Grievous Travels to Palpatine") and both were partially tracked into the Grievous-Kenobi duel, making for a total of three edited statements of the theme in the entire film. Both Grievous's character and his theme could have and should have been explored in much greater depth. But oh well. 8O

EDIT: Cerrabore, I've pondered that chord change a lot. It does work nicely at times, but then there are times like the Binary-Sunset-esque ending that make me cringe. I never thought about the fact that "Anakin is Free" uses the neapolitan chord ending, but you're right. I'd say that's probably the most effective instance of that chord in the Force theme--and one of the most effective instances of the theme, period. Part of it is the beautiful orchestration, part of it is the use of the tam-tam hit at the beginning, and another part of it is the contrapuntal melody in the 1st violins. I've found that most of the really moving statements of this theme are the ones that use counterpoint in some way.

Also, I forgot to mention the statement of the theme during the establishing shots of the Star Destroyer near the end of ROTS. That's closer to the OT statements of the theme--very, very bittersweet. I'm not sure which is more criminal: the fact that this GORGEOUS cue wasn't released on the soundtrack, or the fact that this wistful statement of the theme is nearly obliterated by a poorly-edited TIE fighter sound effect. ;) In my book, both are punishable by death.

And I forgot the high viola statement as Obi-Wan lands on Utapau. The "grunting" bass clarinet line underneath is kind of cool, but I especially like the descending figures in the trumpets, oboes, and then horns. It's cool to hear the theme transition right into the motif/theme that seems to represent Utapau. (Another great unexplored theme, although it's quite similar to some other material John Williams has written. Ahem...Jurassic Park II...)

I should mention that when I referred to "Goodbye Old Friend," I wasn't merely talking about the big statement of the theme that accompanies Obi-Wan's departure. I like that statement, but in many ways, I prefer the quiet fragments played by horn and oboe just before that. I've said it before--but that part of the cue really gets to me, and I'm not sure why. Go figure.

Okay, last paragraph, I swear. Time to finish up this post. But I just wanted to say that I found it very amusing that Maestro Williams intended to use Luke's theme when Anakin says "You're shorter than I expected." It matches up perfectly if you play the OST track 7 with the DVD. He should have use the same sort of orchestration and tone, but written in Anakin's theme. It would have worked quite well. Okay, I'm done.

Okay, last paragraph, I swear. Time to finish up this post. But I just wanted to say that I found it very amusing that Maestro Williams intended to use Luke's theme when Anakin says "You're shorter than I expected." It matches up perfectly if you play the OST track 7 with the DVD. He should have use the same sort of orchestration and tone, but written in Anakin's theme. It would have worked quite well. Okay, I'm done.

This would have been really cool if the music had not been cut from the film. I think that any statement of Luke's theme - more than the Force theme, even - lends itself to a "classic Star Wars" feeling. Anakin's theme would have been, on the surface, more appropriate for this moment, but it wouldn't have contributed anything. Match your themes to your characters, yes, but think about the other uses of leitmotif.

That's why I said his theme and his character should have been explored more. ;) You're right that the film in its final state left few opportunities for further exploration of his theme. Although, I can think of two places in the film that new variations of his theme could have been implemented quite nicely:

1. The scene on the bridge of the Invisible Hand. 2M1, the cue written for that scene, was partially dumped from the final edit of the film, but you can hear it more or less in its entirety on track 7 of the OST. (I know you know this, king mark. But others might not.) I'm not sure why Grievous's theme wasn't used at all in this cue. It would have been very appropriate to the scene, and there's plenty of room for development.

2. The duel with Obi-Wan. Instead of tracking in and editing together the two other statements of his theme (with a little of "I Am The Senate" and some percussion overdubs), they should have made use of an entirely new cue written specifically for that scene--preferably using Grievous' theme anyway. I wonder how Maestro Williams originally intended the scene to play, musically. Was using tracked material his intention from the start, or was there more of the cue "Drawing Swords" that isn't heard in the film? The two sections of it that can be heard (at the beginning of the duel and after the clones arrive) don't seem to flow together, and they certainly wouldn't make sense in the context of the film without the insertion of the tracked material. Oh well. Enough speculation.

Cerrabore, that's a good point about the nostalgiac value of Luke's theme. It certainly does take you back to the OT a little, and I do like the cue as it was written and recorded. Luke's theme would have worked just fine in the film. But remember that most of the people who actually listen to subdued parts of the score like that would be familiar with Anakin's theme, too; after all, in the final mix of the film, that part of the cue would be so soft that the "average viewer" wouldn't even notice it playing. Of course, we aren't those average viewers...

2. The duel with Obi-Wan.  Instead of tracking in and editing together the two other statements of his theme (with a little of "I Am The Senate" and some percussion overdubs), they should have made use of an entirely new cue written specifically for that scene--preferably using Grievous' theme anyway.  I wonder how Maestro Williams originally intended the scene to play, musically.  Was using tracked material his intention from the start, or was there more of the cue "Drawing Swords" that isn't heard in the film?  The two sections of it that can be heard (at the beginning of the duel and after the clones arrive) don't seem to flow together, and they certainly wouldn't make sense in the context of the film without the insertion of the tracked material.  Oh well.  Enough speculation.

This was reportedly one of the last scenes to be completed in the special effects department. Williams probably was unable to score it.

Both the best renditions are in Star Wars. Binary Sunset, and "Use the force, Luke. Let go." I'm surprised no one has mentioned that second one yet, it's one of the highlights of the score for me.

...and "Use the force, Luke. Let go." I'm surprised no one has mentioned that second one yet, it's one of the highlights of the score for me.

I always forget about that one. But yes, that is a highlight. I think it goes overlooked because of the action on screen. Unlike Binary Sunset when your focus is intentionally shifted to the music during that scene.

Dude, how could I forget that major-key statement of the theme during the Battle of Yavin IV? Good job, pixie twinkle! Definitely one of the best.

That would explain it, cerrabore. It's a real shame--there was a lot of potential for a new cue in that scene. But I'd say the edited-together tracked music is pretty well done.

Tide Turns is definitely cool, especially with the DotF ostinoto in the background. It's not my favorite, but it's still pretty creative. There are so many versions of the Force theme, and it's hands down my favorite theme in the saga, so basically every time I hear it I love it.

Tim

Ep I - Anakin is Free and The Tide Turns

Ep II - Return to Tatooine

Ep III - Opening, Goodbye Old Friend and Going to Utapau

Ep IV - Binary Sunset, Burning Homestead and the start of Ben's Death

Ep V - not sure

Ep VI - Light of the Force and The Emperor's Death

Is there anybody here who likes the choral Force theme renditions in the final duel in RotS? I personally do like them pretty much. Plus I agree with all the other ones posted above.

I forgot one, Losing A Hand from TESB when the Falcon makes the turn back towards Cloud City.
Mr. Olivarez, how could we forget that beautiful rendition?  Thanks for bringing that one up!  I love that one.  :goes to listen to it right now:

I had mentioned it earlier. :)

There's a rendition i rather like in Episode IV when the xwings are about to first dive into the death star trench. it plays this standalone trumpet fanfare which transitions into very exciting rendition of the force theme. On my cd it's on a track called the last battle.

yeah that really bugged me they took it out, probably ben burtt's idea....

and ironically on the documentary empire of dreams one of the clips they show where williams is conducting the orchestra with the movie playing behind them is that exact scene.

They also go on in length about how amazing it was to see the opening crawl back in 1977, even showing the original main titles from back then.

Yet the movie has never been officially released on any home video format the way it was shown on May 25 1977. :)

every topic in this forum talks about how great "goodbye old friend" is. i need to hear it now! i don't have the dvd (cuz i'm waiting for the ultimate super mega release of all six movies). but yes, if anybody could be so kind as to share their "goodbye old friend" mp3 with me, i would be much obliged. thanks in advance.

Could anyone send me the Goodbye Old Friend mp3 please? Thanks a lot!

I'll echo those words. A brilliant but elusive piece! Thanks.

APBez

finally got to hear "goodbye old friend" thanks to king mark. WOW, great stuff. i've listened to it so many times and it never gets old.

i've also heard "going to utapau". yet another wonderful cue. the file that i have is about 35 seconds long. right before it ends, a new piece of music begins, but you only get to hear about 2 seconds of it. it's fairly fast-paced strings, has a kind of "serious danger ahead" type of feel to it. anybody know what part of the movie that underscores?

thanks.

Could anyone send me the Goodbye Old Friend mp3 please? Thanks a lot!

I'll echo those words. A brilliant but elusive piece! Thanks.

Seconded. Errr... Thirded.

For me....

Episode I: Anakin Is Free and Anakin's Test

Episode II: Return To Tatooine

Episode III: Boys Into Battle, Good-bye, Old Friend and Going To Utapau

Episode IV: Binary Sunset and Tales Of A Jedi Knight

Episode V: Yoda And The Force

Episode VI: Light Of The Force

AlohaBlunts, that action music that cuts in at the end of the 35-second "Going to Utapau" clip is from Episode I. It plays as Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, the Queen, and the others enter the Theed hangar for the first time. You can hear it in "Fighting the Guards" on the Ultimate Edition album (disc 1, track 14). And yes, "Going to Utapau" truly is a great cue.

TPM- The Tide Turns

AotC- Return to Tatooine

RotS- Boys into Battle, Goodbye Old Friend (I'd very much appreciate the link :) ), and (not sure of the name of this one) the statement at the end when Yoda tells Ben about Qui-Gon. In fact, that whole scene is excellent... now I'm very angry about it not being on the album.

SW- The Throne Room

ESB- Rescue from Cloud City

RotJ- The Emperor's Death and Light of the Force (both versions)

I could never choose one-- it's Williams' greatest theme, in my opinion, and to select one statement would be quite painful.

So a lot of times, these PT statements are just one-phrase teases, like you mentioned, foxfan.  Unlike you, I actually like these thematic fragments in most cases.  Usually, these serve pretty nicely as a reminder.  Imagine if Maestro Williams used the entire theme every time he wanted to simply hint at that melody?  It would often be inappropriate to the film.

I would never get tired of that minor 6th interval and the perfect octave drop just after it during the second phrase of the force theme...

wow, i had the bloody album and i didn't even recognize the music. if it the UE weren't so disjointed i might have caught on. anyways, thanks a bunch.

not sure if i missed it earlier, but a really amazing and goosebumpy force theme rendition is in ROTJ, when Vader picks up Palpy and throws him overboard. if it's already been mentioned, then it sure doesn't hurt to mention it again :)

Definately ROTS is the 'Force theme movie' :)

You know, that got me thinking, which movie has the most renditions of the force theme??

I'm guessing it's either ANH or ROTS, but has anyone ever counted them?