Which Was The Best Decade For "Star Trek"?

Greg1138

All Things Considered, What was the Best Decade for "Star Trek"?  

54 members have voted

1. 1.

• Fifties
    • Sixties
    • Seventies
    • Eighties
    • Nineties
    • Noughties

This is probably like asking who your favourite Bond id i.e. it depends which generation you belong to as to which you like more....

I have seen polls all over the place for Best ST Series, Best ST Score, Best ST Movie etc etc but the question here is simple: All things considered, Which was the best decade for Star Trek?

To summarise each decade:

1950's: There was no such thing as Star Trek. Choose this decade if you just hate the whole damn thing.....

1960's: "The Cage" and Kirk, Scotty, McCoy and the rest of the gang go on the original 5-year mission.

1970's: The Animated Series, lest we forget! Loved it........Also '79 brought us the Motion Picture and the classic, thundering score that accompanied it.

1980's: Wrath of Khan, Search for Spock, Voyage Home, Final Frontier, and a new Captain and Crew took off in the Next Generation, 3 and a half seasons of which fitted into this decade.

1990's: The Undiscovered Country, the concluding voyages of the Next Generation crew before they graduated to movies, Generations, First Contact, Insurrection, the entire chronicles of the Space Station Deep Space Nine, and most of the journey home of the USS Voyager.

2000's: Nemesis, the final installments of Voyager, Enterprise, and J.J. Abrams re-wrote the whole shooting match (rather successfully, I think).

Go on then - whaddya think?

Greg :-)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

90's....

To be specific 1996-1997...

First Contact (Movie)

A Call to Arms (DS9)

Scorpion (Voyager)

The summer with Scorpion and A Call to Arms was especially a painful one. Two kickass cliff-hangers with no conclusion until September.... ;) And then DS9 went off and did the 6 episode Dominion War arc...which was just 8O 8O

Just to name a few examples...

Um, the sixties. You just can't beat the chemistry of the original cast, even though the special effects and extra acting were poor. Of course, the eighties are a close second because of the films with the original crew.

90's or 80's? Dang....in the end I'll have to go with the 90's even though I haven't seen DS9. (Just $200 more and I can get the whole set. ;) )

Justin

So I've freakin' heard!

Justin - Certain he will dissapointed after the years of hype.

And you know, unless you've started at $0....I've seen eBay auctions for seasons 1-7 as low as $200. ;)

Eh, right now I have $115. However, it'll be a gradual save. At any rate I won't be going with ebay I've seen sets for $288 deepdvddiscount.com

Justin

Justin - Certain he will dissapointed after the years of hype.

Certainly you will be disappointed during the first season(s). But then, when it really picks up, you'll be excited, particularly after having seen the humbler beginnings. ;)

Marian - who still hasn't seen the final season and only has the first one on DVD.

(Just $200 more and I can get the whole set. ;) )

Justin

I saw the first three seasons at Sam's for only $40 a piece just a week ago. I assume the others would come later.

I envy you, Justin. Being a DS9 virgin. I would love to erase my memory and see this show again for the first time. It is just fabulous. Just grin and bear it through the first season and you'll be fine. Although are several gems in that season. Emissary and Duet being two of them.

season 3 may have not been the best, but really some of the best quotes come from that season,

and it does have some real gems too. Enterprise Incident is a highlight.

headin out to Eden, yah brother.

all I have to say to those of you who don't agree with me is you are all a bunch of Herberts.

I haven't seen season 3 yet.

Justin - Who just watched the episode where Scotty goes "It's...it's green."

"By Any Other name.....".......it's one of my favourites......

Greg - who in the end voted for the 80's.....TNG was at it's best (season 3), the Genesis Trilogy.....what more could one ask for......??

I voted 1970s for 4 reasons.

1) The original series was shown throughout the 70s in the UK and it's then that I first got into the show.

2) The Motion Picture, slow on plot but big on visuals like 2001. A stunningly beautiful film to watch.

3) The best score of the series.

4) I wanted to be different.

I haven't seen season 3 yet.

Justin - Who just watched the episode where Scotty goes "It's...it's green."

I love that! And the reference to it in Scotty's TNG episode Relics. Still, I voted for the 90s because of the over-all strength of DS9.

I grew up with TOS and this fall I'll be buying this:

440.jpg

• 3 years later...

Big bump - just wondered if attitudes had changed with Abram's movie and with the addition of all the members who never voted.

To anyone who DID vote in this poll, don't forget that with the new message board software you are able to delete your original vote and re-cast - should you wish.

For anyone who just hates Star Trek - don't forget to vote anyway - for the "1950's" option.

Greg

I voted 1960s. I'm not familiar with many of the film/TV series listed, so perhaps it is a bit unfair. But I have seen all of the original episodes, and none of the films have been able to top the best of the OS.

2) The Motion Picture, slow on plot but big on visuals like 2001. A stunningly beautiful film to watch.

It really is.

This is tough, but I'm going with the 90s. Three good movies, the best TV series (DS9), and I suppose the good years of TNG, though I'm not really a fan anymore. The less said about Voyager the better.

The 80s is really close. It has the best movies, but also TNG's rather crappy first couple of years.

The future of the 2010s looks rather bright right now. :P

Very easily the nineties.

In terms of for Star Trek, and not necessarily personal opinion: If you were there in 1994, you would understand just how big Star Trek was.

TNG was ending, but going to the big screen, DS9 had started, and Voyager was coming with the highest rated series premier in TV history up to that time. That was the peak in terms of Star Trek's clout.

I would have voted the 40s because they are even further away of the 60s!

laugh.gif I like your chutzpah!

That was the peak in terms of Star Trek's clout.

Indeed - it really was Star Trek's "Golden Summer" - yet as a franchise, I still stand by my vote for the 80's....

TNG was ending, but going to the big screen, DS9 had started, and Voyager was coming with the highest rated series premier in TV history up to that time. That was the peak in terms of Star Trek's clout.

I remember. Though it always felt like, despite its greatness, DS9 was being constantly overshadowed. First by TNG's success and move into movies, then by Voyager being the flagship show for a whole new TV network, not to mention it was Rick Berman's pet project.

I grew up with it in the late 80s and 90's. That era had TNG, TOS and TNG movies, shit tons of ST action figures and merchandise. Plus, it was almost like ST became COOL for a time (without dumbing down). So I'd have to say the 80's strictly for the effect it had on ST.