Favorite Star Wars credits

Datameister

Okay, since threads like this seem to be all the rage right now, I thought I may as well bring up Star Wars credits. Which movie do you think had the best music written for the end credits? I'm going to have to say it's a tie between ANH and ESB for me, although I like the ROTJ ending a lot and the ROTS credits nicely incorporated Battle of the Heroes into a tribute to ANH.

What do you guys think? Trivial, perhaps, but something to discuss nevertheless. Take into consideration the orchestration and tempo of the standard Luke's theme/Rebel fanfare intro, the choices and arrangement of music after that, and the overall musical contours of the credits. Which one(s) would make you want to sit through the credits in the theater the most?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me, it is Revenge of the Sith. It has a lot of Star Wars A New Hope in it and I really apreciate the extended version of The Throne Room, which was already written like this in 1977 if I am right. Then, it was the last occasion for John Williams to release the full Throne Room sheet. So yes, Revenge of the Sith is the best End Credits for me and that's the reason why I made it completely in MIDI file : Revenge of the Sith End Credits MIDI file.

What do you think about it ?

The Empire Strikes Back End Credits are the best. The music flows so naturally and well from theme to theme. There is an organic quality to the composition. I am of course counting the Rebel Fleet cue as part of the Credits. The Force theme at the beginning and how it flows to a beautiful and sweeping rendition of the Han Solo/Leia love theme before going to the End Credits statement of the Main theme is brilliant. Yoda's, Vader's and the Love theme are effortelessly combined to a great suite that ends with wonderful flourishes of the Love theme and rousing fanfares and pounding timpani. Simply beautiful.

For me, it is Revenge of the Sith. It has a lot of Star Wars A New Hope in it and I really apreciate the extended version of The Throne Room, which was already written like this in 1977 if I am right. Then, it was the last occasion for John Williams to release the full Throne Room sheet. So yes, Revenge of the Sith is the best End Credits for me

I agree. People complain about the Throne Room arrangement being there, but I think that's what ROTS is all about.

TESB, with ROTS clearly being the worst.

I agree. People complain about the Throne Room arrangement being there, but I think that's what ROTS is all about.

I agree with Ender, ROTS is all about rehashing what they did so brilliantly in 1977.

Empire, by far.

I dont understand the complaining about the Throne Room on the ROTS cd. its a great piece, and a terrific celebratory 'its all finally over' goodbye to the series. It made my tears flow the first time I heard it so unexpectedly and I instantly understood why its there.

I dont understand the complaining about the Throne Room on the ROTS cd. its a great piece, and a terrific celebratory 'its all finally over' goodbye to the series.

And the tempo suggets just... how... long... it... took... for SW to finally finish. ;)

Empire's my favourite by a long way.

I dont understand the complaining about the Throne Room on the ROTS cd. its a great piece, and a terrific celebratory 'its all finally over' goodbye to the series.

And the tempo suggets just... how... long... it... took... for SW to finally finish. ;)

the tempo suggests just...how...the... friggin....Williams....dude.... wanted... it.

It made my tears flow the first time I heard it so unexpectedly and I instantly understood why its there.

I fully agree with you, I felt the same and it made me cry because it makes me feel that Williams is saying goodbye to the saga.

ESB (it's my most listened to SW track) >>>>>> ROTJ (I like the Ewok theme ;)) > ANH (a classic, but it's been surpassed) > ROTS (if only for the rehash of Leia's theme) > AOTC (I like Across the Stars, but its endless repetition is maddening) > TPM (cut and paste, anyone?)

AOTC (I like Across the Stars, but its endless repetition is maddening) > TPM (cut and paste, anyone?)

AOTC: the finale is pure genious IMO

TPM: lets hope this is just a film version edit and the Obi wan end credits are the real arrangement, which is very cool.

John Williams never wrote any music for this ANH shit you people are talking about.

Star Wars has the best end credits, thats a fact, any other opinions are worthless.

Star Wars and Empire keep the beat all the way through. Jedi and Menace switch gears pretty abruptly between themes (so does Clones, but it's rather rubato in the ending, so it's not a big deal). Sith is absurd, of course.

Oh, man. Either ANH or ESB. ANH has my all time favorite Star Wars finale/Luke's theme/Rebel Fanfare section. I absolutely love The Throne Room, and it's transition into the opening medley. I love the orchestration for it, which, unfortunately, wasn't replicated in any of the other movies, which is a shame. The strings and winds carrying the beat instead of brass gives it a more fun, , adventurous quality which I really enjoyed. But then ESB has the amazing suite--my favorite is the transition from Yoda's Theme to The Imperial March--with the best end credits finish in the Saga. I don't really know if I can choose.

/Luke's theme/Rebel Fanfare ...

...and Luke's Theme(fast version)

Yes,there's something special about that section in the original Star Wars recording that was never replicated again in any re-recording.The brass is bolder,the string counterpoints are better heard and the thumping tympani in the backgroung is great.

K.M.Suffering from a terrible flu/cold.

AOTC (I like Across the Stars, but its endless repetition is maddening) > TPM (cut and paste, anyone?)

AOTC: the finale is pure genious IMO

TPM: lets hope this is just a film version edit and the Obi wan end credits are the real arrangement, which is very cool.

Of which do you speak, Luke? I am not familiar with this.

I love the ROTS end credits, but so many of you like ESB I may have to listen to it again...

And David I love the MIDI file! :) Is there any way I can download it to my computer?

i have a silly question, are the prequels' main theme statement in the end credits all the same? (like the opening statement) they do sound pretty similiar though i cant say for sure. me ears not so good as some here...hehe

Lots of interesting opinions here. I'd say the majority of us would agree that the ESB credits seem to be the most well-thought-out. The transitions between the themes (especially Yoda to Imperial March, as Delorean90 mentioned) are expertly written and the entire piece has a nice "flow" to it.

I understand a lot of the ROTS-credits-bashing going on here. I certainly felt like Maestro Williams didn't really deliver with the final cue of the final Star Wars movie, at least as far as flow goes. The use of Leia's theme is beautiful out of the context of the film and certainly has sentimental value, but it's not very appropriate to the film itself. (The transition from Leia's theme into Battle of the Heroes is pure genius, IMO, and it goes without saying that BotH is a lot of fun.) I thought that the transition out of BotH sounded like it could have been great...but then it goes into the Throne Room music in a rather abrupt change. Again, the throne room music has sentimental value (although I thought the new performance was vastly inferior to the original) but doesn't really fit with the movie. I did like the use of the ROTJ ending, though. It felt like the penultimate fermata was held out just a little longer than in ROTJ...a nice touch.

That being said...we should all stop complaining about the ROTS credits. They weren't THAT bad. If you don't like 'em, rewrite them yourself. :) I should make that a project for myself. Let's see...

If Lucas wants us to view "ROTS" as the end of the series, then the end credits music is appropriate (almost). But he wants it to be viewed as No. 3 of 6. So why are we "celebrating?" The Empire is formed. The galaxy status quo is in upheaval. Padme died. Anakin lost his love and his legs and his arms and his ability to function without scuba gear equipment.

So why put in such a celebratory theme if we're transitioning to what Obi-wan called "the dark times?"

If Lucas wants us to view "ROTS" as the end of the series, then the end credits music is appropriate (almost). But he wants it to be viewed as No. 3 of 6. So why are we "celebrating?" The Empire is formed. The galaxy status quo is in upheaval. Padme died. Anakin lost his love and his legs and his arms and his ability to function without scuba gear equipment.

So why put in such a celebratory theme if we're transitioning to what Obi-wan called "the dark times?"

It doesnt appear in the movie, so Lucas' view of ROTS as part 3 of 6 is achieved. However, who's to say Johnny couldnt have some fun with his final SW CD? He's earned it

That's the interesting self-contradiction with ROTS, isn't it? On the one hand, it's the dead center of the saga as far as the fictional chronology goes. But at the same time, it's really the end of the saga in the real chronology we live in. So which way should the credits have gone...dark, brooding, and appropriate to the movie's end, or uplifting and sentimental to remind us of the OT? I think Maestro Williams leaned a little too far to the latter. Still, I love those transitions in and out of BotH...