Goodbye, Mr. Chips - FSM 3-CD set on the way?

BigMacGyver

From the FSM news letter for former charter members:

"Coming Soon- Next month are two Silver Age

titles from the 60's, but both have symphonic

sweep that would make them must-haves to film

music fans of any age. ONE OF THEM IS A 3CD

SET FOR $34.95 SO PLAN YOUR BUDGET ACCORDINGLY."

The release of Williams' score for Goodbye, Mr. Chips from FSM has long been speculated. According to latest rumours, the release was delayed due to additional material that has been discovered and maybe this is a good reason why the announced 3-CD set could contain this 60's williams work.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Goodbye Mr. Chips isn't such a long score that it would span 3 CDs, now is it?

Maybe it would be the other title. They speak of two titles being released, one of them spanning 3 CDs.

I haven't seen the film, but its quite long isn't it? Alternates, perhaps? Doesn't sound very FSM-like at all... 3 discs for one score? ;)

This is going to kill me for the next few weeks. ;)

I don't know how long the complete score actually runs but I understand there are several songs in that musical film and there tend to be more than just one version of a song (instrumental, film version, single version, etc).

Maybe the album material from the LP differs so much from the actual film recording that they included both (for example, if it contains the complete score in mono and album tracks in stereo). There might be an entirely alternate recording like with Mutiny On The Bounty.

But yeah, maybe it is something entirely different. El Cid comes to mind.

Hw about Hook,3 c.d. set.

k.M.

That would be a dream come true. I'm content with the bootlegs for the time being, but it would fantastic to have a professional digital remastering of the studio tapes, and even an alternate SACD DVD to accompany the set. ;)

Tim

The Hook (Concorde)bootleg sounds like crap.Heavy digital hiss reduction was used.It's A bit better than the Indy 3 boot but nowhere near c.d. quality.

K.M.

but nowhere near c.d. quality.

No, I know that. And the Hook album is a good seller, too, so I can reasonably imagine them releasing an expanded set without the worry of losing money. This score is always in high demand.

Tim

People over at the FSM board take GMC as a serious possibility for that 3-CD set and FSM'ers have always been good at playing guessing games.

As far as budgeting is concerned, i will most certainly not be able to toss out 34,95 after varese released the club CDs on march 6th. :(

There were at least two recording schedules, one before shooting, another after. So only with that, one probably have material for a three CD set.

Well, a really bad time for me... Haven't ordered yet "Bell, Book and Candle", and "Not with My Wife...", and around the corner here comes another Williams work... What can I do with all the bills to pay... maybe I should rob a bank!

Of course she doens't... in the other hand, Romão does, and he's coming over this afternoon...

So I should be ready for some blackmailing -- I can imagine him already asking for all of my Williams collection, as a payment for his silence...