Skywalker Symphony VS Greatest Hits

BurgaFlippinMan

Hi, again, I need guidance. I'm in a position to buy either the Skywalker Symphony or the JW Greatest Hits CDs. Which should I choose? I have the SE scores as well as quite a number of the tracks featured on Greatest Hits (some mp3s, some on CD). so, which would be a better buy? and erm, which as a nicer booklet? 8O

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Soundwise, Skywalker Symphony is a must! Buy it so you can hear how the music of the old trilogy sounds like when recorded in a state-of-the-art studio facility.

My own 2 ears told me this, the first time I listened to this recording.

I don't really mind that the tempo's are slow (the far superiour Gerhardt recordings are slower too), but this pretty lethargic.

And considering these are some of the best musicians around, and they are under the baton of the guy who actually composed this music, makes this a very big dissapointment.

So, Stefancos, according to your ears, what is wrong with the performance? And why do you think that performance connoisseurs, like our very own Marian Schedenig, don't share your personal opinion?

It's been a while since I gave it a spin, but overall it just seemed to lack the spirit and energy of the originals, and the Gerhardt recordings or the delightfull Varujan Kojian recording.

If Marian likes it, then that's great for him. he's a very nice and knowledgeble guy who's opinion I always respect even when I do not share it.

Can you say the same Alex?

But what do you like about this recording Alex?

I like the perfect execution of it all. Maybe it's the concert feel as opposed to the original spirit of the film scores.

It's still a lethargic performance though.

I think the spotless perfection throws you off. That's why you like the Gerhardt Star Wars/Close Encounters so much.

Alex

A good combination though.

It depends what you want - this probably sounds unbelievably obvious, but if you want just Star Wars go for Skywalker Symphony, if you want a very good JW collection, go for Greatest Hits.

The answer is - wait until FSM and Varese bring out their CDs, and see how much money you have left after that. :(

i've never seen a Varese CD here. :( FSM is also...unheard of (or do i have to order that over the net?)

Varese Sarabande and FSM (Film Score Monthly) release limited editions (although not all FSM CDs are limited) of out-of-print or previously unreleased soundtracks.

Varese

FSM

No that's a DE release, something entirely different.

Yeah, that's what I thought. I've seen several Varese releases in stores (although not very often). Pretty sure none of those were Club releases, let alone Limited Editions.

If Marian likes it, then that's great for him. he's a very nice and knowledgeble guy who's opinion I always respect even when I do not share it.

You'd better! :(

Seriously though, I think the Skywalker Symphony recording is excellent. Yes, the tempos are slow, which is mostly a refreshing difference (except for Here They Come, which does indeed sound lethargic). Main and End Titles are great, Imperial March is unsurpassed, Asteroid Field is awesome too, and the rest is fine (not sure right now if this or Gerhardt's Leia's Theme is better).

The sound is... good, if you have a good system. If not, it sounds rather thin and crappy. Took me years to realise that there's a piano in IM. It does sound really good on the right equipment though.

As for this vs. Greatest Hits: I don't have the latter, but to my knowledge, it's just a compilation of cues available elsewhere, whereas the Skywalker Symphony disc contains original recordings.

Marian - who needs Williams on Williams.

The sound is... good, if you have a good system. If not, it sounds rather thin and crappy.

I find that hard to believe. In fact, it doesn't make sense to me. We are dealing here with an audiophile recording (Just listen to the orchestral bass drum and how it moves the air). Are you sure you're not speaking of the Special Editions? Now there's a sound that is crappy!

----------------

Alex Cremers

Luke, they are not the same price, but if u count them per CD, the Skywalker Symp is a bit more expensive. (very much like Universal discs)

Maybe I should just save up a little more for both of them. I'm sure they are not going anywhere soon (the Greatest Hits for one has been sitting on that bookstore rack for years!) :roll:

Btw, any comments about the CD sleeve booklets? And what does anyone make of the Williams Perlman Cinema Serenade 2 disc? *ack! my wallet! noooo!!*

I find that hard to believe. In fact, it doesn't make sense to me. We are dealing here with an audiophile recording (Just listen to the orchestral bass drum and how it moves the air).

I haven't listened to it in a long time, but I know it didn't have much depth before I got my current system, and it sounds a bit thin. It certainly always sounds "nice", but without the right system, you easily loose a lot of details.

Marian - who also doesn't think you hear nearly as much air as on Summon the Heroes. :)

I find that hard to believe. In fact, it doesn't make sense to me. We are dealing here with an audiophile recording (Just listen to the orchestral bass drum and how it moves the air).

I haven't listened to it in a long time, but I know it didn't have much depth before I got my current system, and it sounds a bit thin. It certainly always sounds "nice", but without the right system, you easily loose a lot of details.

Marian - who also doesn't think you hear nearly as much air as on Summon the Heroes. :)

I can definitely hear what you're talking about. Comparing it on different speaker systems, it can sound very thin. On something crappy it sounds like thin high frequency noise...but with the right set up...the bass drums do really move the air.

But personally, I always tend to run a few of my own sound edits on a lot of soundtracks to beef them up....

If you collect all the best players , it doesn't necessarily mean the best orchestra.

I was disappointed of that skywalker recording. It's not only the tempos but I have

feeling they tried too much to make THE best recording.

The underrated Utah recording sounds for me much better and natural.

Great Star Wars sound!

The underrated Utah recording sounds for me much better and natural.

Great Star Wars sound!

I agree, the ensemble sounds may sound a bit smaller when compared to the original recordings or many re-recordings, but it's a very enthusiastic and lively performance.

I love their rendition of The Asteroid Field.

I don't yet have the Kojian, but his Korngold recordings are great.

Marian - who still finds Gerhardt's ESB a really weak effort (surprisingly so, since his other recordings are all outstanding).

Well, Marian is a performance connoisseur, not an audiophile. "Performance" is overrated anyway ;) .

I try to be both. But I'd rather have a poor-sounding great performance than a great-sounding lousy performance.

Marian - :)

Well, Marian is a performance connoisseur, not an audiophile. "Performance" is overrated anyway :) .

I try to be both. But I'd rather have a poor-sounding great performance than a great-sounding lousy performance.

I'm not sure if I would follow you on that. I hate the Star Wars Special Editions purely on the basis of their sound. If only they sounded more like The Skywalker Symphony, I would be the happiest camper in the world.

Alex

Sometimes its hard to tell if a performance is great anyway, because of the sound. So that theory doesn't always work. If you can't hear the nuance and subtlety because the quality is poor then it can be harder to tell if it is, in fact, a great performance.

Tim