Tracking in Return of the Jedi?

Seth

I'm watching Return of the Jedi right now and I just noticed that a few seconds of music from Empire are tracked into the scene where Wedge fires his torpedoes into the Death Star's reactor core. The music comes from the second half of "Losing a Hand" right before it transitions into the Hyperspace cue. Is this a new thing for the DVD or has it always been this way?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Yoda and the Force" was tracked into the scene where Luke tells Leia they're related. "Do you remember your mother?

I was not aware of that. So what's the situation with these two sequences? Did Williams not originally score them or did something happen after the recording sessions?

What about Empire Strike Back. In that same cue you speak of, Losing a Hand. There's a Darth Vader statemtent before the hyperspace music.

The one on the soundtrack is more robust than that which is in the film. I recognise the one in the film from something else but I can't place it.

Any idea on that one?

Would that be one that plays during the added scene for the SE?

btw, Hyperspace is also tracked over the snowspeeders looking for Han and Luke, and part of I think Arrival on Dagobah or Yoda and the Force (not sure which one - Luke's theme anyway) is tracked over a last-minute addition to the finale (some FX shots were added at the very last moment, after the film had been scored and even the post-production wrap party had already been given).

In the Special Edition of TESB some of the short tracked cues were replaced with their original versions I believe.

I don't know about that, but I do know the last part of Departure of Boba Fett was put back into the film (the gunfight after the Slave I took off used to be without music).

The end of "Departure of Boba Fett" still isn't in there.

Almost right. The music for the duel between Luke and Vader is still absent, however the music for the sequence immediately before that (Slave 1 taking off) was definitely restored. Another part restored was the ending for "The Magic Tree".

Well, not the very last part (if we're talking SE CD); that underscores part of the Vader/Luke duel. But the stuff that was written for the Slave I taking off and the following gunfight was put back in the 1997 release, after being cut from the original version of the movie.

In the Special Edition of TESB some of the short tracked cues were replaced with their original versions I believe.

Correct. In addition to Departure of Boba Fett, a number of Imperial fleet transitions were replaced with the original cues.

Well, not the very last part (if we're talking SE CD); that underscores part of the Vader/Luke duel. But the stuff that was written for the Slave I taking off and the following gunfight was put back in the 1997 release, after being cut from the original version of the movie.

Ah, gotcha. It's a shame the part I was talking about still isn't in there. It works fine.

The part I'm talking about is Vader walking out to the shuttle "Prepare my shuttle for departure" I believe is his line.

Luke is hanging underneath Cloud City and Vader is leaving, Leah has just turned around I think to head back to luke...

You hear Darth Vader's theme, but it's not what is in the track... is that an added scene?

Ah, gotcha. It's a shame the part I was talking about still isn't in there. It works fine.

I don't think it works as well as just the sound effects. The music almost tells us Luke is doing well, while he is in fact still fighting for his life.

What I want to know is how did the music for the first trilogy get where it was intended to be (most of the time) only for Lucas to allow the prequel trilogy's scores to be tracked six ways from Sunday? If I were him, I'd watch Mr. Burt like a hawk.

I HATE tracked music. It's sad that it's in all 6 episodes of Star Wars...such great music, and in all 3 LOTR...the best music (though the tracking doesn't compare to SW).