And the Oscar goes to . . .  

55 members have voted

1. 1.

• Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
    • War of the Worlds
    • Memoirs of a Geisha
    • Munich

. . . which one would you vote for?

I think I'd vote for RotS . . . simply because I'd love to see a Star Wars score win another Oscar. (That'd be like 1977 all over again.) And after so many listens, I'm still far from getting tired of it -- somehow I DO think RotS is the best JW score of 2005!!!

;)

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Memoirs

2. WotW

3= Munich

3= Sith

With Memoirs quite a long way ahead (for me). It took me quite a while to get into it, but once I did I loved (and still love) it.

I would vote for ROTS, both for the score and to say congratulations to JW for the single greatest journey in film scoring history; and which, shamefully, only received 3 nominations and 1 win.

Although I could deal with a Memoirs win.

if i had to choose the best one per se, Memoirs. If i choose according to the overall quality of a series, ROTS (just like how i always felt that ROTK won not for being the best of the LOTRs but for the series overall)

Actually Brokeback Mountain would still win. It would be the 5th secret surprise nominee.

If Brokeback wins, it will one of most undeserving winners in the past 15 years.

Indeed. Along with Anne Dudley's Full Monty.

. . . which one would you vote for?

I think I'd vote for RotS . . . simply because I'd love to see a Star Wars score win another Oscar. (That'd be like 1977 all over again.) And after so many listens, I'm still far from getting tired of it -- somehow I DO think RotS is the best JW score of 2005!!!  

:)

haha. i do too. rots obviously paved the way for the later scores. out of curious, does anyone look for continuity between scores? what i mean is a score composed after another chronologically? such as, me hearing star wars in the later movies composed by williams. in particular, the harsh string writing in anakin's betrayal creeping into munich (i think it was). the evolution of williams style between scores.

War of the Worlds.

Didn't do a thing for me outside of the movie...but in the movie it worked wonders, and that's what the Oscar's for anyway...

Remember that Best Score is how the music functions in the film. Brokeback Mountain will probably win because Best Score category is also one of the biggest "throwaway" slots because most Academy voters are either tone deaf or don't really understand how music affects the film and hence add it to their votes for Best Picture.

Of the list above, I'd vote War of the Worlds because it is so atypical of Williams' normal style and is uncompromisingly harsh and relentless. It also kicks butt!

I feel sorry for Munich with only 3 votes :(

It was a great score I guess, but yeah it's my least favourite out of those four , lol :P

haha munich was a good score... outside the film. when i saw the filim, i found it to be so lacking. so it does deserve to get 3 votes haha. which is a good sign. no one in the academy will vote for it, and instead they'll all load up memoirs! YAY.

WOTW.

You described it as 'unlistenable' not too long ago Joe :(

that was before November, but once I got the DVD, I realized that the score was much like the Lost World, its grown, and grown on me. To the point now that I think its an underrated, terrific score.