• The River
    • SpaceCamp
    • The Witches of Eastwick
    • Empire of the Sun
    • The Accidental Tourist
    • Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
    • Born on the Fourth of July
    • Always

OK, since this is the start of a new set of rounds, here are the rules (I'll spell them out due to a few disagreements last time).

1. Each round, you vote for what you think is the weakest score. After 24 hours, the weakest score will be knocked out, and so on, until there is only one score left - the winner.

2. Each poll is set for 24 hours, any votes AFTER that time won't register.

3. If there is a tie between 2 or more scores, in order to keep things moving along, ALL of them will be knocked out, UNLESS it is the last round where there are only 2 scores left anyway (otherwise both would be knocked out and there would be no winner).

Please report any errors *politely* by PM. ;)

- - - - - - - - - - -

Having had winners from the noughties and nineties, we are now on to the eighties.

Your choices are:

The Empire Strikes Back

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Heartbeeps

E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial

Monsignor

Return of the Jedi

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

The River

SpaceCamp

The Witches of Eastwick

Empire of the Sun

The Accidental Tourist

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

Born on the Fourth of July

Always

(Yes Giorgio and Superman IV don't count.)

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ESB

Least favorite score? ;)

Best score ever , but I don't like the cover art of the 97' edition.

( sorry, just upset of the treatment of TPM in the last round)

EDIT: Yes, I know the rules of this poll. But so despotic voters in previous

rounds, that I'll join the club.And second oboe little flat in 34:11-34:13,so

I have to vote ESB out.

ESB

Least favorite score? ;)

Best score ever , but I don't like the cover art of the 97' edition.

( sorry, just upset of the treatment of TPM in the last round)

Vote for your least favorite score. Not your favorite.

I'll have to give it to the score that earned JW his one and only Razzie... Monsignor.

Williams got a razzie??!!

I haven't heard any or enough of 5 scores here to make a reasoned judgement at this stage. I'll hold off voting for a couple of rounds.

I'll have to give it to the score that earned JW his one and only Razzie... Monsignor.

Williams got a razzie??!!

Oops, Razzie nomination. :oops:

SO...Jurassic Park was voted the best of the 90s? That's OK, and it's also great that TPM resisted from the almost-elimination in Round 1 till the end.

Here it came. The best Williams decade.

Personally, my hardest. I'm called to vote one Indy score against the other two, which is kinda painfull...but for at least a week it should be easy...hopefully the Indy Trilogy will be at Top 5...personally my Top-5 include ESB at #4 with ET as a close #5.

First score is easy, and already voted off: Monsignor.

I've only heard one clip of SpaceCamp, a long time ago. Accidental Tourist has a lovely main theme. Always has some very beautiful parts. These three will be getting votes from me after Monsignor is out - I remember an odd, but kinda cool, bombast choral cue, and nothing more.

Wow, so because the Razzies nomiated him for Monsignor, that makes it his worst score of the 80s? :?

Anywho, since I still don't have The River, Always, and Heartbeeps (yes, I know, I know!), I voted The Accidental Tourist.

I noticed Monsignor is leading, let me ask you how many of you have even heard the score?

I would vote Heartbeeps but Crimebusters makes it stick around a little longer so I'll go with Always.

I've got the Monsignor boot and it's not his best score but has some good stuff.

Don't see what people have against it :mrgreen: (oh, and I thought someone speculated it being among Varese's club CDs?)

And I thought consensus was that ESB was his best score...and now 3 people have voted for it :)

I noticed Monsignor is leading, let me ask you how many of you have even heard the score?

My thoughts exactly. Not a masterpiece, but it has that good main theme and the wonderful Italy theme.

I would vote Heartbeeps but Crimebusters makes it stick around a little longer so I'll go with Always.

I like your way of thinking.

I love Monsignor. I'd guess it would have to be between Always and the River. Always it is, but it is a bit painful to vote if off.

And the finalists will be ESB, Raiders and E.T. The last round will be ESB versus E.T.

Wow, I was very alarmed to see 3 people vote for ESB... But, then again, I actually like the "Accidental Tourist" score - it definitely has its moments.

I'd guess it would have to be between Always and the River. Always it is, but it is a bit painful to vote if off.

Always is the one JW score I haven't been able to get into at all. I mean, I haven't been able to listen to it without nodding off. The River, on the other hands, has some wonderful stuff (aside from the Chinatown resemblance).

I can't vote off Mosingor just yet. The Gloria track is amazing. The theme is also great, but it has the exact same structure has the theme from the Fury.

Wow, so because the Razzies nomiated him for Monsignor, that makes it his worst score of the 80s?  :?  

No, not necessarily, but I gotta pick something. :mrgreen: I realize that the Razzies base their nominations on the movie, and not really on the score (but doesn't the Academy pretty much do the same? heh) Anyway, it's pretty much tied with Accidental Tourist and Always in my mind. I'll probably vote for Always in the next round (assuming that it doesn't get booted here.)

I like your way of thinking.

Crimmbuster should keep that score in for a few rounds.

Marian - :mrgreen:

:) Fitzwilly

The River.

Monsignor is great,except for the Main Theme.How can one dislike the travelling music in Reunion in Italy ,Forgotten Vows and the piece that eventually became Esplanade Overture,The Meeting in Sicily.Meeting with the Holy Father has these classic Williams mourning horns(the same one as in RotJ).Gloria is an amazing chorus piece,especially the dramatic ending.I hunted down the VHS many years ago just to record that before bootleg days.Santoni's Compassion is one of the best "quiet" Williams underscore cues,developping the Gloria theme,it sounds so noble.

Joe's cheating on the poll again?

K.M.

how the hell am I cheating on the poll Km, I've voted once for ESB, and thats it.

ESB the score everyone jacks off over.

I've only heard one clip of SpaceCamp, a long time ago.

Too bad,your missing out on one of Williams most "beautiful" scores.If you like the Potter scores I can't believe you've never heard Spacecamp.Main Title,The Shuttle,In Orbit and The Computer Room are reasons alone why it should remain untill near the end.

ESB the score everyone jacks off over.

and for good reasons...

K.M.

The final 3 will be ESB (in spite of the strong show of votes against it in this round it will remain, like TPM in the last poll), Raiders, and ET.

Oh, and anyone who voted for The River (KM!!!) I order you to go at once and listen to The Ancestral Home, immediately followed by the end title. Some of Williams' most strikingly beautiful music.

I agree about the Ancestoral Home,but that's about it.The Pony Ride and the End Titles are OK.

I might have voted for Accidental Tourist but I've grown fond of it on my ipod.

K.M.

Monsignor, I guess. It's one I'm not too familiar with, but despite some pleasant portions, the main theme seems rather grating to me.

Ray Barnsbury

how the hell am I cheating on the poll Km, I've voted once for ESB, and thats it.

and why would you vote for it even once?

K.M.

P.S. sorry for posting twice,there's no delete option for some reason

That's probably the only problem I have with these polls.

How can you vote for something if you've never even heard it?

I'm voting for ESB because it's so unbelievably obvious that it's going to win.

It must be eliminated to prove that it's so great.

Justin - :mrgreen:

I think Joe would hack me to death, and unless someone can prove that someone was voting duplicates for Empire, fair is fair, and Empire goes.