Aren't you glad Williams scored Geisha instead of Potter?

Ollie

Are you Glad Williams Scored Geisha Instead Of Harry Potter?  

74 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No
    • Doesn't Matter

There were some people who were upset that Williams was going to score Geisha over Potter but it looks like it was the better decision.

Williams has won a Golden Globe, a BAFTA, has a good chance of winning the Oscar and has received more publicity than I can remember in quite awhile. And he also wrote a damn good film score in my opinion.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I liked his scoring geisha over potter. I thought it was a nice turn of style, but now that he skipped one potter, i definitely would like another William's score to the seiries.

Not particularly. I don't have a problem with him doing Geisha, but I would've loved to have him continue with the Potter series.

Ray Barnsbury - pleased for Williams in regards to the acclaim Geisha is receiving

I can't vote in this one. Geisha is one of the most exciting JW projects in years, something totally new, and JW hit it out of the park as far as I'm concerned. But to have another JW Potter score.......that is a pretty thrilling thought.

Oh yes. We were given one of his best scores that is an absolute pleasure to listen in the movie, plus all the awards and arrangements. It was one of the most exciting John Williams projects in years.

Indeed. Williams has got lots of publicity with Geisha and soon also an Oscar...

I hope he's done with Potter , how good they still are. It's good to end that series

to Azkaban , a masterpiece hard to beat.

Assuming he couldn't do both, it would have taken a very, very special score to make me happy he didn't do HP.

Fortunately, he produced it.

Unfortunately, Doyle has ruined the HP scoring franchise.

No, Williams score for GOF would have been far better than Geisha,

I like Doyle's GOF more than Williams' Geisha.

Marian - who voted "No".

Then why vote "no"? If Williams had scored GOF you wouldn't have Doyle's.

So I voted "yes" 'cause I think Memoirs is excellent, and in the process we got TWO great scores.

Isn't this a bit like comparing apples and oranges? I mean, GOF would have given us another action score but Geisha allowed him to grow as a composer and it gave us an exquisite score that deserves the Oscar it probably won't win. Just my way of thinking.

Seth

I still feel we would have a better Williams c.d. to listen to if Williams had scored GoF instead of Geisha.But I love the fact that Geisha may be his (last) real chance at an Oscar.

Mark my words if he loses this year he'll never win again.

K.m.

Goblet of Fire : Prisoner of Azkaban :: Chamber of Secrets : The Sorcerer's Stone

In terms of direction and film quality, IMO the 2nd and 4th films are like pale imitations of the 1st and 3rd respectively (although the second set of two definitely superior to the first). So in a way, I'm glad Williams put all his effort into the 1st and 3rd.

And on a side note, with this pattern having emerged of Williams scoring every odd film so far, and his full departure from Goblet of Fire purely due to a hectic schedule (including his beloved chance at scoring Geisha/), I like his chances of doing Order of the Phoenix... especially with no composer yet being attached: does this mean there are deals going on in the background? Is Williams thinking this through?

I reckon it would give him a good chance to "freshen up" returning themes from Chamber of Secrets and, if Williams does have an ego, place his score and old Voldemort themes etc back fresh in the minds of viewers, leaving Doyle's fanfaric blasting nonsense and cringeworthy (though conceptually appropriate) Britishness a distant, otiose memory.

The Doyle-bashing is getting tiresome. Methinks some people doth protest too much...

(And what the heck does "otiose" mean anyway? If you used less ten-cent words, you could probably afford to buy more Williams CDs.)

While at this point (with no other projects lined up) I think it would be kind of nice to have Williams return as the Potter series matures and darkens, it depends on what else comes up. If he is attached to a film similar to Geisha, that allows him to stretch and be creative, then I would hope he would ditch Potter. I really think I like his "restrained" scores lately more than the action scores, although War of the Worlds was a nice mix of both that was brilliant in the context of the film.

I like Doyle's GOF more than Williams' Geisha.

I concur.

Justin

The two of you scare me. I like Doyle's score.....but no THAT much. Great set up, but it doesn't come together in any satisfying way. I'm also big on how a score ends, and the last 20 minutes of Doyle's score left me unimpressed....probably because the film was particulaly unimpressive at this point, but still. I think Doyle provided the right score for the film, but concidering the film, that doesn't always make for a good, complete score.

Geisha is just good in every way, including theplaces GoF fails.

Morlock- who pretentiously and condesendingly thinks that Justin and Marian don't get the Geisha score yet, which is unfair to them, but simply cannot understand someone intelligent liking GoF more than Geisha.

Well,Williams could use Doyle's "Harry in Winter" theme ...and make it sound good.

I could see Williams kick-assifying it. At least extract the real beauty from it, and not make me long for 'The Wedding Night' from Doyle's Frankenstein (surely one of the more beautiful pieces of music composed for a film).

Otiose: 1. adj. Serving no useful purpose; having no excuse for being ("otiose lines in a play").

...WordWeb is a fun tool to have in your notification tray!

Anyway, just my opinion, cmu, and I hardly bash his score too much. Besides one time where I suggested the task of rescoring the film (by my own composition or by tracking Williams music), which sounds like something fun to do (though I'm sure that concept irritates you), I usually keep quiet. His score just disappoints me. I love the music that plays in the Goblet of Fire trailer though (the horn theme where the beauxbatons team flies down from the sky).

I voted no. Geisha is a very interesting score, from what I've heard, and it's certainly a whole different vein from the Maestro's other work. But I would rather have a more interesting GoF score than the one Doyle provided. Remember how different and refreshing PoA was, although not as much as Geisha? Perhaps a Williams score for GoF would have similarly explored new musical territory, whereas Doyle's score felt mostly like uninteresting "filler" to me. I didn't like his treatment of Hedwig's theme either, although it was at least different.

As several people have mentioned, it would have been ideal if he'd created innovative and enjoyable scores for both...but that could have perhaps compromised the quality of either project. :)

Otiose: 1. adj. Serving no useful purpose; having no excuse for being ("otiose lines in a play").

I would have said redundant. Both in place of "otiose" and at the very fact you used the word "otiose".

I'm glad Williams did Geisha. Very glad.

Definetely happy with Geisha, I think it's a beautifully crafted, versatile, amazing score. But I would have preferred Williams to have scored GoF. As it is, I'm not happy with Doyle's score. I thought it was melodically and thematically uninteresting. The chromatic melodic ideas that he uses are just so tacky and ammateurish I think.

I just thought that the whole GoF score lacked any really good ideas and some of the action cues were cring-worthy and MV-ish (especially that Bulgarian Theme shite). I know Williams would've done a much better job with such an inspiring film.

Williams GoF would be remember, eventually win or lose Geisha will not. And its a good score, a very good score. The best of this 5 nominated, but it doesn't hold a candle to his other 4 winners.

I concur.

I give up.

Thank God!

Justin - Who has not seen Geisha's film and will not be surprised if his opinion changes when he does.

Pleased that he did. However, this is coming from someone who wished that JW scored the LOTR series over the HP series. Then maybe I would've dug at least one of those movie franchises. ROTFLMAO

I most certainly am not happy about it. Memoirs of a Geisha can be ridiculously good, I still would've preferred a Williams score for Goblet of Fire. But that is because I very much like Harry Potter, so naturally I would want the best possible score for a Harry Potter film. And Doyle's score most certainly is not, in any way, the "best possible score for a Harry Potter film". :sleepy:

as much as I LOVE Confluence (stupidly though, I can't stop listening to it)

I feel MOAG is a week soundtrack, the main theme is not very strong and I have heard other scores of the style with much stronger themes

On the other hand I didn't like PoA either so I think it's better he didn't do GoF just to get some time to recharge and come back to it fresh 'cause PoA sounded very jaded to me (but only my opinion and nothing more)