What Williams soundtrack should I buy?

Ok I'm about to order off bn.com what soundtrack should I get?

I already have:

TPM

AoTC

ROtS

ESB

RotJ

SS/PS

CoS

PoA

MoaG

Munich

I'm not getting ANH because the UE is to expensive so I'm gonna get my parents to buy it for me.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it looks like you have a few of John William's older classics E.T shouldn't be hard to find, same with Jaws, Jurassic Park, Indy 3, and Close Encounters, all of which are awesome scores. Unfortanetly IMHO his best score Raiders is really rare. Same with Fury and TOD

Where is E.T., the greatest score by John Williams.

Jaws, Star Wars, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Superman: The Move, Raiders of the Lost Ark, E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Hook, Jurassic Park, Schindler's List, and The Lost World: Jurassic Park.

For starters.

OH GEEZ! I forgot about Hook, one of my all-time favorites!

So, yes, Hook is definitely worth it too. It's has a good running time and it's cheap. Just beware of tracks 2 & 3, they might not be your cup of tea. I generally skip them, but other then that...it's pure Williams gold!

If you like the Potter scores (which it seems you do), then you will fall in love with Hook. It's one of the most magical scores I've ever heard.

Tim

Well, it's a fun little track, but when you compare it to the rest of the score it's hard to gauge how someone will react to it (because it sounds like something from on of those cheesy 80s film).

I'm not saying I don't like it, but it obviously stands out in comparision to the whole score as kind of the odd child.

Tim

Jaws, Star Wars, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Superman: The Move, Raiders of the Lost Ark, E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Hook, Jurassic Park, Schindler's List, and The Lost World: Jurassic Park.

For starters.

I second what Mr Breathmask said. These scores are an absolute must-have

I probably will end up getting Schindler's List, but its good to have back-ups.

don't waste your money, get a score thats uplifting and inspirational, not sad and morose, not to mention overrated, but then again you think AOTC is a good score.

Schindler's List does have it brighter moments (or moment) but i would have to say its not the type of score i listen too unless i'm working or putting most of my attention on something else, basically it works just as well as classical music for me

Schindler's List is a good choice. The entire score is like an intense emotional attack especially if you have seen the film. Actually, I barely listen to it for that reason because it is so moving and could get me into a sad mood.

If you plan to purchase more JW scores, keep in mind that there are some that are (or will be) out of print. The complete 2-CD set of Superman: The Movie is reportedly OOP but still easy to find at a fairly good price. Nixon is OOP but relatively easy to find and still cheap. Screen Archives still has copies of his intimate score for The River for normal retail price. A couple of important scores are OOP and extremely hard to find at reasonable prices: JFK, Raiders Of The Lost Ark, Temple of Doom, Last Crusade, Jaws 2, Witches Of Eastwick and Dracula. If you find any of these used and for a good price, grab them!

As far as in-print releases are concerned, i can only agree to the other suggestions: E.T. (expanded) is a must-have as well as Jaws, Close Encounters (collector's edition), Jurassic Park and Hook.

R, S, N, S

:roll:

Yeah, The Terminal is awesome.

EDIT: Rosewood, Sleepers, Nixon, Stepmom!! LOL I just figured it out!

Typing them out for the 1000th time can get cumbersome. :)

Tim

Schindler's List, Seven Years in Tibet, Angela's Ashes and Empire of the Sun. Not the most obvious choices, but don't you dare missing out these scores.

lucky ppl, i've never seen Jaws, the three Indy scores, Far and Away (something I'd GRAB off a shelf if i ever see it), Superman, Jurassic Park, Schindler's List or just about every other JW score you all have mentioned (with the exception of the Potter scores, the SW scores, ET, MoAG, Munich, Rosewood) being sold here. :) *goes off into a corner and cries*

anyway I'd throw in my vote for Far and Away, ET, The Terminal or Jurrassic Park for now

Burga - who owns less JW scores than JWFangirl (at least original ones). CDs are expensive here, relative to earning power. *goes off into another corner and cries again*

What about downloading "legally"? [[wink wink]] Can't you get the OOP scores there?

Legally? Like iTunes? They don't get much OOP scores. Best you'll find is The Cowboys.

Technically, until they get run off the internet, eMule and SoulSeek are considered legal file sharing systems. You can seriously get anything on there. I don't recommend it for CDs you can buy in the store (I still want money to go in Williams' pocket), but for things that are completely out of print (or bootlegs), I think it's great. I hate the idea of some guy burning CD-Rs in his house making money off of Williams work by selling that stuff on E-bay. This way, it keeps it free and easy.

Tim

I already have:  

TPM

AoTC

ROtS

ESB

RotJ

SS/PS

CoS

PoA

MoaG

Munich

I'm not getting ANH because the UE is to expensive so I'm gonna get my parents to buy it for me.

Jaws

Star Wars

Close Encounters

The Fury

Superman The Movie

Heartbeeps(while it's still available!)

Raiders of the Lost Ark

E.T.

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

The Witches of Eastwick

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

Hook

Home Alone

Far and Away

Jurassic Park

A.I.

K.M.

Personally I wouldn't get Schindler's List before getting those

K.M.

Get Schindler's List first. It's one of Williams finnest works. The first time I listened to it I was amazed how beautiful the music was. It really hits you like a bang.

Girl, please get Schindler's List. It is, despite some opinions presented in this thread, the best score Williams ever wrote besides Star Wars, E.T. and Raiders Of The Lost Ark.

Also Jurassic Park and Hook are great. Avoid The Lost World though.

Difficult one,

They are all great,

I would say try to get all you can (slowly of course) maybe avoid The Missouri Breaks and definitely do not buy Earthquake

Edit:

Avoid The Lost World though.

No dude,

Come on! It's a great score. It's too harsh to tell someone to avoid getting it

Hook, definitely (should it be referred to as "H"?). And the unfairly maligned Angela's Ashes, to my mind the most purely musical album (ie no mere 'background' music) of all JW's output with the possible exception of Schindler's List.

Frankly, it would be easier to say which ones you shouldn't get. Can't think of any just now. Nixon, possibly? ("N"?)

If you eventually decide to get Angela's Ashes, make sure it's the one without narration. The U.S. version has it, all the other don't. So see if you are able to get the import at Amazon or CDUniverse, it shouldn't cost any more then the other.

Tim

I already have:  

TPM

AoTC

ROtS

ESB

RotJ

SS/PS

CoS

PoA

MoaG

Munich

By UE do you mean the 1997 SE. If you do you can actually pick them up really cheap at ebay, probably like $5 plus shipping and handling. I got perfect cds for all 3 for $20 including shipping. Having parents buy you things is always good though ROTFLMAO I'll be sure they know I want the complete TTT when my birthday comes around, but thats so far away :cry:

Also, I am thinking about buying a Raiders 95 cd and I was wondering if it includes all of the music on the earlier release.

Also does anybody think that they are going to re-release any of the Indiana Jones Scores, especially with indy 4 coming out (maybe??).

Sort of dilemma for me. If I wait and they rerelease them I could save some money, but if they don't they will become harder to find.

I already have:  

TPM

AoTC

ROtS

ESB

RotJ

SS/PS

CoS

PoA

MoaG

Munich

You should definitely get Jurassic Park, Schindler's List, E.T., Jaws, and Raiders (if you can find this last somewhere). Those are must-haves. Also, like someone pointed out, you should get your hands on some of the older scores, as long as they're still available (Superman, Born on the Fourth of July, Home Alone, JFK, Far and Away, Hook, etc.). Some newer ones are pretty good too -- like The Lost World, A.I., Minority Report, The Patriot, and Catch Me If You Can.

Personally, the albums still missing from my collection (I've currently got about 70 JW albums, the Boston Pops CDs included), are ToD (this one'll probably always top my list), Raiders (the complete version), and some of the quieter scores of the eighties: Presumed Innocent and The Accidental Tourist.

Oh, BTW, I think you should DEFINITELY get Schindler's List -- it's as good a place to start as any. Some claim it to be a hard listen, but actually I don't agree with that. It's sad and at times gut-wrenching, but some of the best pieces JW has ever written in his entire career for all taht . . . actually I found myself listening to Schindler's Workforce and The Jewish Town quite frequently these last few months. Good luck finding your scores!

ROTFLMAO