Largest Orchestra/Most Complex Score

Dean1700

I read somewhere that the score to Jaws 2 required two harps!

Rescuing Sarah from TLW, too, had a huge orchestra -- many of them percussionists.

I spoke with Basil about ten years at length about his CONAN score; he told me that they recorded the horns on a separate track and overdubbed them multiple times, hence you get 24. So in the recording you are hearing 24 horns simultaneously, but only 8 were recorded at a time.

In the full score, there are 6 horn parts notated for the theme,along with 3 trombones and 1 bass trombone.

I heard that Goldenthal's Final Fantasy score used 40 french horns on the Toccata and Dreamscapes track

Two harps is not that much or unusual, you get that frequently with harp-heavy compositions. I don't recall how many harps Herrmann used for Beneath the 12 Mile Reaf, but I think it was 6.

IIRC, Goldsmith used 4 organs for STTMP, but three of them were electronic.

Marian - who also remembers reading that Herrmann used a LOT of horns for On Dangerous Ground.

I spoke with Basil about ten years at length about his CONAN score; he told me that they recorded the horns on a separate track and overdubbed them multiple times, hence you get 24. So in the recording you are hearing 24 horns simultaneously, but only 8 were recorded at a time.

In the full score, there are 6 horn parts notated for the theme,along with 3 trombones and 1 bass trombone.

Ok and the strings were overdubbed in some sections too, right?

Do you happen to have this interview online somewere?

I didn't interview Basil, it was just a phone call. I also spoke with his wife too. She told me stories about how the score cues were littered all over their hotel room floor in Rome.

The two pages are in Scott Smalley's orchestration class book. It doesn't cover many bars, but it gets beyond the point where the melody begins.

Most composers of anything chromatic will need two harps as they are tuned diatonically, meaning in the Ionian Mode. To get any chords that have notes that are outside this, you need more than one harp or else retune the strings which is a major pain.

Herrmann's score to BENEATH THE 12 MILE REEF has nine separate harp parts. The full score to the Prelude is quite amazing, the harp parts are on a different sheet from the reset of the orchestra. I guess otherwise the page would be over 3 feet tall....