Who should score the next Star Trek movie?

Indiana_Fett

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Give Horner another shot. At least this way we''re virtually guaranteed a score that works. Maybe it won't be a work of genius but it certainly will work.

Ed Shearmur, I think, needs to spend less time composing wallpaper scores and more time learning to write good tunes to do any Star Trek film justice. Then again, I don't think you can really learn to compose good tunes. You either steal them or just have it in you. However, I did like the score to Sky Captain.

Well, I do love Horner's ST theme and Goldsmith's theme. Maybe Williams could do sometihng like this...

Not gonna happen.

Give it to Arnold or Horner.

Joel Goldsmith

bad choice, no thanks

That we can agree on. Joel Goldsmith is really the palest shadow of his illustrious father.

Shearmur could be good choice or David Arnold. Arnold could finally get out of the career slump that is the Bond scores. HE needs to do a great action adventure score once again.

Or perhaps Gustavo Santaolalla could whip up some guitar chords for Picards next adventure in the last frontier. :sleepy:

Not until Paramount pay Paddy Stewart the Professor X fee he gets for X-Men, then another Next Generation Trek adventure seems highly unlikely. Now, get Kate Mulgrew and her Voyager crew for a big screen epic. I can see it all happening now. Naked Captain Janeway and naked Seven of Nine getting down and dirty on Holodeck 2. Computer, end program. Bring Verhoeven on board. He's dying to get his fingers burnt again.

Hitch, who hopes Paramount will do something big on Star Trek's 40th anniversary this year.

Now, get Kate Mulgrew and her Voyager crew for a big screen epic.  I can see it all happening now.  Naked Captain Janeway and naked Seven of Nine getting down and dirty on Holodeck 2.

Damn it Hitch! This is not the time for your wet day dreams! Did you have to say that? I want to get that image out of my head!!!! :sleepy:

Yup Kate Mulgrew: A woman whose mere earbleeds inducing sharp voice could make the Borg run away and hide. The reason I did not watch Voyager.

Not particularly. Her voice is still mild compared to Mulgrew.

Joel Goldsmith

bad choice, no thanks

That we can agree on. Joel Goldsmith is really the palest shadow of his illustrious father.

I don't have any of Joel Goldsmith's score but it sounds a bit harsh to say this doesn't it? At his peak Jerry had decades of experience behind him. I'm sure Joel has yet to find his style and develop it accordingly.

This coming from someone who has probably not heard a single note from any movie Joel has scored.

me, dear god let it be me.

Or at least send me an unscored copy so i can get some practice!

(i am deadly serious)

Joel Goldsmith is a terrific composer. Even under the time constraints of scoring both Stargate SG-1 and Stargate: Atlantis, he's been able to develop some wonderful themes throughout both series (the Ancient theme, Apophis theme, Sokar theme, Replicator theme, Tok'ra theme, etc). Sure, he's obviously no Jerry, but I'm convinced he could still crank out a kick-arse Star Trek score.

I did like his "Helen of Troy" also... during the movie it was perhaps a bit pale in places, but the main titles rock :sleepy:

-Chris, who thinks that movie has the far prettier Helen compared to the other one.

Someone recommended David Arnold?

Errrm...he lost something after the turn of the millenium. Mainly I think it was the ability to write something listenable.

First and foremost I'd say Basil Poledouris. He needs to score another big action film again!

Joel Goldsmith worked wonders with the bits of First Contact that he scored. I think he would be another perfect candidate.

Horner would probably work as well. It just might take a little coaxing to get him into the mode that's required for a Star Trek film.

James Newton Howard might work as well.

Elliot Goldenthal has quite a knack for strong themes and explosive action cues. If I were to make a Star Trek film he would be one of the first composers I'd go to.

Indeed. I really doubt we'll ever see TNG cast on the silver screen again.

Justin - Who has plenty of Trek to watch while he's waiting.

Horner told Nicholas Meyer, after Meyer dropped his original idea of using "The Planet" for Star Trek VI, that his career "had outgrown Star Trek." So, you'll never hear another Horner score for a Star Trek movie ever again. Not that Horner's career couldn't use it, considering some of the Box Office flops he's composed for lately (Troy, Legend of Zorro, etc). Not that the last Star Trek film was a hit either.

If - and that's a big if - there is another Star Trek film, I'd say give it to Newton-Howard. A David Arnold score is just too heavy for the Star Trek universe.

I disagree that Horner's score woult certainly be effective. Recently, I've seen him write some of the most uneffective scores I've ever heard by a major (and formerly very good) composer.

I'd like to see Nicholas Meyer write and direct it, with a score by Poledouris or Gordon.

Marian - who'd enjoy that.

Assuming that a new one will be made, who is the right composer for the job?

Dunno,

I'd love to hear some composers who haven't given it a shot yet...

Polidouris?

IMDB reported that the latest script was turned down and that Patrick Stewart wants to be paid Professor X type money to reprise his role as Picard.

as usual IMDB got it wrong.

the latest script was turned down, because it had nothing to do with any existing Star Trek, Stewart hasn't asked for any money yet, as he says this idea is still a few years away, but that he's interested.

No one should score the next Trek movie because they have ruined a wonderful franchise and no more Trek movies should be made.