Which past Oscar shows do you have on tape/DVD?

Josh500

I have 5, the first 4 on video, the last on DVD.

1999 -- JW nominated for Saving Private Ryan

2002 -- JW nom. for A.I. and Sorcerer's Stone

2003 -- JW nom. for Catch Me If You Can

2005 -- JW nom. for Prisoner Of Azkaban

BTW, is anyone going to record tonight's show and put the score segment on this site (like with the Grammys)?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

BTW, is anyone going to record tonight's show and put the score segment on this site (like with the Grammys)?

I really hope someone will. If I had access to the broadcast I would put it up so surely someone is willing to :mrgreen:

The following I have on DVD (with notable film music stuff):

1955- Dmitri Tiomkin wins for The High and The Mighty and gets laughed at by Bing Crosby and Bob Hope (I'm not sure if he was in on the joke or not or this day). Adalph Deautch also wins for something, I forget what.

1982- JW nominated for Raiders of The Lost Ark, Liberace performs a selection from each score on piano (what a shocker!)

1991- JW nominated for best song and best score for Home Alone, the latter being subjected to an insulting dance by Debbie Allen (most of them are horrible, but that was was really a new low)

1992- JW nominated for best score for JFK and best song for Hook. The JFK nomination got the only really good Debbie Allen section to date (at least as far as JW is concerned), with the dancers dancing to 'The Conspirators'. The Hook song was performed by the girl from the movie, and she did an even worse job. It's a fine song (great melody), but it was so lame in a year that had 4 other great songs and fantastic performances (three from Beauty and the Beast and the song from Robin Hood, which had Michael Kamen perform the piano quite beautifully).

1994- JW wins for Schindler's List, the scores are performed by a bunch of ballet dancers (and the winners for VFX for Jurrasic Park give one of the greatest acceptance speeches ever)

1995- No JW, but four superb scores are nominated. The Lion King wins (and Zimmer is also thanked very kindly by Elton John and Tim Rice, who win for best song for the film)

1996- JW loses thrice- Nixon to Il Postino , Sabrina to Pocahontas, and 'In The Moonlight' to 'Colors of The Wind'.

1997- JW nominated for Sleepers, and loses to English Patient (as does Michael Collins, by far the most deserving of the bunch)

The rest I have on tape:

1998- JW nominated for Amistad in a strong year for film music nominees (all scores are performed very well by the orchestra)

1999- JW nominated for Saving Private Ryan (which subjected to a Debbie Allen Dance that had nothing to do with the music)

2000- JW nominated for Angela's Ashes

2001- JW nominated for The Patriot, all the scores are performed by Yo-Yo Ma and Itzhak Perlman

2002- JW nominated for A.I. and HP, and performs his classic film score medley

2003- JW nominated for Catch Me If You Can, and loses to the supremely less deserving Frida (as do the great Far From Heaven and the best score of that year, Road to Perdition)

2004- Howard Shore wins for RoTK, out of the most boring selections of scores I've seen to date. Annie Lennox mentions Michael Kamen in her speech.

2005- JW nominated for Prisoner of Azkaban, and loses to the good but decidedly ungreat Neverland score.

As for this year, I'm still looking for someone to tape it (it's on premium cable, and very few people I know has it hooked up to their VCR).

The following I have on DVD (with notable film music stuff):

1955- Dmitri Tiomkin wins for The High and The Mighty and gets laughed at by Bing Crosby and Bob Hope (I'm not sure if he was in on the joke or not or this day). Adalph Deautch also wins for something, I forget what.

1982- JW nominated for Raiders of The Lost Ark, Liberace performs a selection from each score on piano (what a shocker!)

1991- JW nominated for best song and best score for Home Alone, the latter being subjected to an insulting dance by Debbie Allen (most of them are horrible, but that was was really a new low)

1992- JW nominated for best score for JFK and best song for Hook. The JFK nomination got the only really good Debbie Allen section to date (at least as far as JW is concerned), with the dancers dancing to 'The Conspirators'. The Hook song was performed by the girl from the movie, and she did an even worse job. It's a fine song (great melody), but it was so lame in a year that had 4 other great songs and fantastic performances (three from Beauty and the Beast and the song from Robin Hood, which had Michael Kamen perform the piano quite beautifully).

1994- JW wins for Schindler's List, the scores are performed by a bunch of ballet dancers (and the winners for VFX for Jurrasic Park give one of the greatest acceptance speeches ever)

1995- No JW, but four superb scores are nominated. The Lion King wins (and Zimmer is also thanked very kindly by Elton John and Tim Rice, who win for best song for the film)

1996- JW loses thrice- Nixon to Il Postino , Sabrina to Pocahontas, and 'In The Moonlight' to 'Colors of The Wind'.  

1997- JW nominated for Sleepers, and loses to English Patient (as does Michael Collins, by far the most deserving of the bunch)

Where did you get the DVD(s), Morlock? They aren's for sale, are they?

Where did you get the DVD(s), Morlock? They aren's for sale, are they?

I saw a guy on ebay selling the 1955 one, bid on it and won, and then asked him if he had any more, and he sent me a list. Further info in the PM to follow shortly......

I really hope someone will.

Me too! I'd love to hear this year's suite again! I totally forgot to tape it! :oops:

While I definetely think "Memoirs" should've won the score oscar, I thought that the rendition of Brokeback's "The Wings" in the Pearlman suite was the most gorgeous version of it I'd ever heard.

I really hope someone will.

Me too! I'd love to hear this year's suite again! I totally forgot to tape it! :oops:

While I definetely think "Memoirs" should've won the score oscar, I thought that the rendition of Brokeback's "The Wings" in the Pearlman suite was the most gorgeous version of it I'd ever heard.

Yes, I must say the piece from Brokeback sounded really good. Much better than the silly guitar stuff I heard before.

I'd like to see John Williams receiving the Oscar for Star Wars and his acceptance speech.

Same for Jaws and the other oscars in fact. I only have seen his acceptance speech for Schindler's List.

Ah, I've been wanting to see the "Be Our Guest" and "Belle" performances for years! I was only four in 1992...

I had some Williams related segments taped over the years on VHS which I recently transfered to DVD before throwing all my VHS tapes in the trash.I don't have anything as far back as 1993 though.

I am missing is the Kennedy Center Honors and The PBS special that had Soundings because I taped over them at some point :thumbup:

K.M.

Actually I liked Perlman's rendition of Munich best. Better than MoG, actually.

I disliked it the most....the theme was not meant to be played by solo violin, IMO.