Far and away

Diego

Hello everyone

This is my first post although I've reading this forum since pretty much the beginning (back when one could download unreleased Episode I music from videogames and the Temple of doom soundtrack)

Anyway, I was wondering if some of you could give your opinion about Far and away, and how it compares to other scores I may have heard, is it similar to some other JW work? I haven't heard a single track since there are none in 40 years of music CDs

I ask this, because I live in Mexico and it's not easy to find scores, for example, lately I've been getting interested in some non-JW scores and I've been looking for Willow. the Mummy, Rocketer, poltergeist and some others with no luck. However I've seen Far and Away many times and I'm wondering if I should pick it up before it's gone.

Thanks to everyone, and like I said I'm from Mexico and while I think my english is ok please forgive any mistakes.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Indeed, it's in my top two or three Williams scores. Big, bold, orchestral, thematic, moving, and just a great overall journey from start to finish. Get it while you can!

Ray Barnsbury

It's as dull as dishwater......

.......but that's just my opinion and not many here seem to share it! So go for it - but keep the receipt just in case!

Oh - and your English is excellent.

beerchug

Thanks to everyone who replied.

After mostly positive comments I went ahead and picked it up, perfect timing too as it was on sale and it was only 79 pesos which is roughly 8 dollars, great deal I think (the only cheaper scores I've bought were Angela's Ashes and Sleepy Hollow for about 5 bucks)

Anyway I'll probably listen to it tonight, for some reason I prefer to listen to Williams music at night with headphones, specially the first listen, I don't know why.

Sounds like a deal.  Let us know what you think (oh, and welcome to the board)!

Ray Barnsbury

Thanks! It's really a great message board

Anyway, I can't say much based on a first listen, but it does sound very good. Fighting for Dough and Blowing off steam are great tracks. It's amazing how Williams can write pretty much any kind of music (irish in this case) and for any instrument.

While not as classic as the very bext of Williams scores, this is still an outstanding effort.
My favorite cue must be Fighting For Dough.

I love the way it starts out with just The Chieftains and the orchestra gradually builds into it.

The second and third times I agree with Steef today.

The score is big, loud, and overblown at nearly every point, matching the film's lack of subtlety, but it makes for a marvelous album.

Actually some of the quieter cues are the reason this score isn't a TRUE classic.

I have to agree, i usually only listen to the louder tracks such as the cheiftains sections, land race, settling with steven, and end credits, but i usually skip over the quiter tracks, i.e burning the mansion.

It's interesting, I also almost never listen or get very deep into the tracks "Burning the Manor House," "Am I Beautiful?" or "Inside the Mansion." But still, the rest of the album more than makes up for those very few lacking bits.

Ray Barnsbury

I love the "Far and Away" score - what do you guys think of the 2nd CD of additional tracks (that I hear is floating around)?

There's really not much to Vol II.

Although it's interesting to see how the End Credits are broken down into seperate cues with a few words from Williams to the orchestra.

• 5 years later...

I've got some questions about FAR AND AWAY in concert, and I'm hoping Miguel can chime in :)

- is it always the same concert suite?

- has JW arranged it - altered something - or is it just some OST parts strung together?

- has it been released on CD somewhere? I couldn't find anything right away.

Funny this should be ressurected now, as I'm currently playing this for the first time in many months. It's a good one, vibrant and colourful -- Williams in my favourite period of his.

You can't do wrong with this album. It's Williams from his best period (1987-1996), there's is action music, patriottic music, irish music, romance. Even the quiet cues are chillingly beautiful (Inside The Mansion, anyone?)

I've got some questions about FAR AND AWAY in concert, and I'm hoping Miguel can chime in :)

- has JW arranged it - altered something - or is it just some OST parts strung together?

Fommes, I can't answer all your questions, but have you heard the concert version on John Williams: Greatest Hits? The "Far and Away Theme" contains lots of new music. I highly recommend it (the album also contains great concert versions from Empire of the Sun, Hook, "Scherzo for Motorcycle and Orchestra," "Parade of Slave Children") .

The score is great, one of my favorite by JW. "Land Race" is one of JW's greatest action cues.

Thanks - I don't have that particular album, but I do have the Cinema Serenade album which I think it's taken from? It's solo with violin though - I was asking about the regular concert suite played in concerts around the world. I agree by the way - phenomenal piece that one!

The concert suite, Suite from Far and Away, (I heard it live back in 2007) contains according to the programme these pieces:

County Galway, June 1892

The Fighting Donnelly's

Joseph and Shannon

Blowing Off Steam

Finale

-Williams has created at least two different concert suites, this one and the one for solo violin and orchestra heard on the Cinema Serenade album. The first one is about 8 minutes in length, the other 5½ minutes.

-All of the material on the above mentioned concert suite can be found on the OST as far as I can remember. Apart from the County Galway opening which lasts about a minute the music follows quite closely to the End Credits arrangement found on the OST.

-As far as I know the 8 minute suite has not been released on CD. Silva Screen has released the Prague Philharmonic Orchestra's performance of the End Credits though, typically the same performance appearing on their numerous compilation albums.

I think the first track on the CD, County Galway, June 1892, is simply one of the most beautiful things I have ever heard.

Yes. It has an immense lyrical and powerful quality to it.

Evocative is the word. Such a beautiful track.

Yes. It has an immense lyrical and powerful quality to it.

Evocative is the word. Such a beautiful track.

Powerful or thrilling are the right words for me. I was obsessed with this track when I was 15.