The "Star Wars" TV Series Thread.....

Greg1138

I forget the name, but I think it was a guy who worked on Samurai Jack. I could stand that kind of score for the new animated series, but not for the live action. In fact, I'll be quite disappointed if the live action show uses synths.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I forget the name, but I think it was a guy who worked on Samurai Jack. I could stand that kind of score for the new animated series, but not for the live action. In fact, I'll be quite disappointed if the live action show uses synths.

Now I'm not sure about this but in the Clone Wars didn't they just use parts of john williams pieces? I can see them doing that for the animated. As for the live-action who knows maybe John Williams might even help a bit for it.

Some of Williams' themes appeared, like the Federation March, Across the Stars, and even some of the Arena music that was cut from AotC. They were incorporated and re-recorded into new original score, though.

Yeah I was quite satisfied with the music in Clone Wars. Certainly much better than the cut-and-paste of Williams music in the first episode of it.

The Clone Wars music was composed by Paul Dinletir and James L. Venable (probably first and second seasons respectively; Venable is the Samurai Jack composer). Neither composer has free samples available on his web site, but are some options if one owns the Clone Wars DVDs (I don't). You can DVD rip the rear channels. The menus might have some music?

I like Episode 21's music (basically a lot of well-adapted Williams music).

Thoughts and Ramblings:

1) I can't wait for this, simple as that!

2) Irony - taking Battlestar Galactica to court in the late 70's accusing them of rip-off, to find that nearly 30 years later the best sci-fi show on the box at the moment, and the most innovative in its approach is the new BSG (ok, hand-held video isn't exactly new if you follow any of those Law and Order cop shows, but with the serialisation, story depth, effects, camera-work, acting quality…there isn't a sci-fi show anywhere like BSG) - this is the direction that the new SW show would need to go, or go somewhere different AGAIN from the old style symbolised by Star Trek, etc. Either way, I think we'll get something good…forced upon them by Karma…

3) Two possible storylines impose themselves, and I can't see how you could go anywhere else - the rise of the Rebellion, or a storyline that is completely and as far removed as possible. The Rebellion would have to revolve around the Emperor, Alderaan, Leia, Organa, and most importantly, Mon Mothma. A Boba Fett storyline would appeal to his fans, but I can't see how you would get the necessary story depth - this is the SW UNIVERSE we're talking about. You have to take into account all of these different locations, impossible for just a lone bounty hunter. A story removed from it all would be unlike anything ever done in SW history, and very risky, especially since they've apparently committed to 100 episodes already - going out on a limb (even the Ewoks movies were rooted in the familiar) would run into studio obstacles no matter how independent Lucas prides himself on being. My money is on the Rebellion, with plenty of space battles, new locations, and a long running serialisation - thank you BSG, and lets not start getting silly in the courts, fellas…and don't forget that Lucas love his old Buck Rogers anyway…serials with plenty of familiar faces and places...

BSG.......best.....show........ever.......

Greg - eagerly anticipating Season 2's R2 DVD release, and the appearance of Season 3.....

You guys over there don't know how lucky you are, because not only are we behind on BSG, the big networks over here treat Sci-Fi, etc, in a very half-@ssed way - Star Trek has been decimated by Channel 9 - it's video rental only if you want continuity, and there are several other apparently great shows we know little about here - no Sci-Fi Channel either.

I was opposed to the new BSG to start with, when I first heard about the new show. That's an important part of my childhood they were messing with there, and the initial blurbs weren't that promising, made it all sound like a Dick Wolf franchise. But it cr@ps all over the old one in every conceivable way, fixed up every flaw and made it a hell of a lot more entertaining and realistic and…it just makes more sense...still love the old one, but for different reasons…here in Oz, we're still waiting for Season 2 to start, but we managed to score the Season 2.0 DVD's from England recently, so we're up to the return of the Pegasus in our house. The only thing I wish they'd do is change the flight helmets from the current Wing Commander ripoff to the one they used back then - the Egyptian motifs, and little clues as to the origins of humanity all wrapped up in their uniform styles, was one thing the old BSG did in a pretty cool way - new BSG sometimes looks like West Wing…used to be a bit disappointed with the new Galactica compared to the old model, but when I realised it was meant to be ugly (in the middle of decommissioning and outer hull scrapping when the attack came), and the Pegasus was how Galactica would have looked fully built, it added a validity that even the old one didn't have…love the percussion soundtrack, and the way they film the battle sequences, though…would also love to see a few more homages to the old show, like an old cylon walking around (surely not every cylon outpost is filled with the newest gadgets), Ovions…I know that landrover will make an appearance - as long as they stay away from Muffy, Dr Z, Mike Brady, and the boy scout patrol, all is good…and, making this post actually refer to JW, seeing as that's where we are, I like the way they've treated the old theme (a military march in the first episode), but a bit more would be desirable - not his best work, but still pretty good…

and, making this post actually refer to JW, seeing as that's where we are, I like the way they've treated the old theme (a military march in the first episode), but a bit more would be desirable - not his best work, but still pretty good…

How does that refer to John Williams? :)

and, making this post actually refer to JW, seeing as that's where we are, I like the way they've treated the old theme (a military march in the first episode), but a bit more would be desirable - not his best work, but still pretty good…

How does that refer to John Williams? :)

Ummm...it doesn't, as I hastily pull out my BSG boxed set...but have you noticed how much Stu Phillips sounds like John Williams when you stick your foot in your mouth...?

• 1 year later...

On this page there is the following claim:

Additional info for the live action series:

- Six screen writers have been hired and will start work in November

- McCallum hopes to have John Williams for the score but it is too early to tell

- Every episode will have it's own original score (If I may editorialize for a moment: They better get John Williams working on that now. That's a heck of a lot of music for 100 episodes let alone 400. Just start writing cool sounding music. We're sure it will work)

On this page there is the following claim:

Additional info for the live action series:

- Six screen writers have been hired and will start work in November

- McCallum hopes to have John Williams for the score but it is too early to tell

- Every episode will have it's own original score (If I may editorialize for a moment: They better get John Williams working on that now. That's a heck of a lot of music for 100 episodes let alone 400. Just start writing cool sounding music. We're sure it will work)

On this Page

:mellow:

• 3 months later...

Interesting. Hopefully he handles action better than his father.

One of my favorite shots is when the Falcon flies through that swarm of TIEs, but it is an altogether well directed sequence.

The space battle of Endor has yet to be bettered!

Yes. The best space battle in the series, even better than the Death Star run in Star Wars.

Yes. The best space battle in the series, even better than the Death Star run in Star Wars.

Not just the series, but of all time.

I've never seen anything by his son, so I don't really have an opinion right now. Hopefully it'll be good.

Whether it was being drafted-in by his director dad Richard to do stunts for a primadona teenage actor, or playing three different extras in one film, it was all just an average day during school holidays.

Now THAT would be fun!

Well, I'm sure Marquand had little say in that kind of stuff. I'm sure Muren, Lucas, and the rest of ILM is why that sequence is so awesome. That and very good editing. Another things the prequels severely missed.

• 2 years later...

So many great sci-fi TV shows have been made on the cheap. I believe some of the more expensive episodes of Stargate SG-1 were only around $100,000 to produce. Anyhow, they've been talking about this show being in development for five years already. If it's not going to be made and it was just a pipe-dream, just say so, George.

QUOTE(Roald)Chris, at the end of ROTS, Obi-Wan and Yoda are NOT the last two Jedi. There are many more, hiding, on the run. During the period between ROTS and ANH these will be hunted down and destroyed.

Is this official? Is that info found in the novelisation 'cause the movie could imply both ways... Or the comics or whatever...

Most of the people, watching only the movie, thought that Yoda and Obi-Wan were the only ones left.

well in ANH Obi-Wan says "Vader helped the Empire hunt down and destroy the Jedi Knights" plus that in ROTS they go to the Jedi Temple to change the signal to tell any remaining Jedi to stay away

QUOTE(Roald)Chris, at the end of ROTS, Obi-Wan and Yoda are NOT the last two Jedi. There are many more, hiding, on the run. During the period between ROTS and ANH these will be hunted down and destroyed.

Is this official? Is that info found in the novelisation 'cause the movie could imply both ways... Or the comics or whatever...

Most of the people, watching only the movie, thought that Yoda and Obi-Wan were the only ones left.

well in ANH Obi-Wan says "Vader helped the Empire hunt down and destroy the Jedi Knights" plus that in ROTS they go to the Jedi Temple to change the signal to tell any remaining Jedi to stay away

You know you're reacting to something discussed 4 years ago, right? :)

Well I heard yesterday that the live action TV series has been 'frozen' due to financial problems, so I don't expect to see this getting made any time soon ;)

There are a few simple ways to cheapen the franchise budget.

The pilot presents a party of Jedi out on patrol, who crash onto a desolate, seemingly uninhabited planet. A tropical jungle would be expensive, so a temperate/prairie/mountain climate would let afford filming in British Columbia, and represent a cliched temperate/prairie/mountain planet.

The shuttlecraft splits during re-entry, separating one group of Jedi from the other.

Strange creatures, which act like ysalamiri but look like strangely colored house cats (shoestring), completely repel the use of the Force, which removes the need for much of the green screen, CGI, and other stunt work. Furthermore, every Jedi's lightsaber was broken during the crash, which kills the need for those SFX as well.

Several of the Jedi are young, buxom women, who will present sexual tension to the show because, as a dampening field around this continent prevents outward communication and thus a rescue attempt, they feel the need to propagate their species more strongly than the need to explore their area.

Over the course of the show, they will have to find their other Jedi friends, and band together with the natives of the planet to fight the Sith who are marooned at the far side of the continent. But without any Force powers or light sabers, it will make for interesting, primitive, and affordable fight sequences.

Come on, George, you know you wanna...

The pilot presents a party of Jedi out on patrol, who crash onto a desolate, seemingly uninhabited planet. A tropical jungle would be expensive, so a temperate/prairie/mountain climate would let afford filming in British Columbia, and represent a cliched temperate/prairie/mountain planet.

The shuttlecraft splits during re-entry, separating one group of Jedi from the other.

Strange creatures, which act like ysalamiri but look like strangely colored house cats (shoestring), completely repel the use of the Force, which removes the need for much of the green screen, CGI, and other stunt work. Furthermore, every Jedi's lightsaber was broken during the crash, which kills the need for those SFX as well.

Several of the Jedi are young, buxom women, who will present sexual tension to the show because, as a dampening field around this continent prevents outward communication and thus a rescue attempt, they feel the need to propagate their species more strongly than the need to explore their area.

Over the course of the show, they will have to find their other Jedi friends, and band together with the natives of the planet to fight the Sith who are marooned at the far side of the continent. But without any Force powers or light sabers, it will make for interesting, primitive, and affordable fight sequences.

:lol: I'd buy that for a dollar!

Or they could just call up BBC Wales for tips on how to make a scifi show on a budget. lol.

Or they could just call up BBC Wales for tips on how to make a scifi show on a budget. lol.

I seem to recall hearing that Lucasfilm talked with Russell T Davies about possibly writing for the show. But yeah, he could've given them some good pointers on how to make it work, definitely.

• 9 months later...

Is it just me or does Lucas sound shockingly old? I haven't seen an interview with him for a while, but the last time (must've been last year or so) he did still sound like back in 1999.

Alright, I'm turning 30 next week, so I guess it's just time running past me...