Superman 2CD Rhino release

AlohaBlunts

I tried searching for this in previous posts, but there were too many. So if it's been mentioned before...sue me.

Anyways, anybody know if they are planning on re-releasing this score again? I used to see it all the time in stores and now, poof, it's gone. Guess it's out of print or something. A thought, anyone? Thanks.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

srry you missed it, its one of the absolute best cds ever.

I doubt there are any plans for a re-release. Just search ebay for a copy and look on Amazon/Borders from time to time. There's usually someone selling one through the new and used section. That's how I obtained my copy...paid a bit more money for it but it was well worth it.

Edit: It is out of print by the way...

You can still get it as a digital download through Rhino's online store...or take the plunge and go the Russian MP3 paysites. You can't do better than $.10 a track.

Heck, my Symphony for a Saga is up on Russian paysites even...

I am so glad I got my copy of the Superman score when it was released. I had no idea it would be out of print so soon. As Joe said it is one of the best score releases ever.

There are a lot of E-Bay stores online now, which still possess factory sealed merchandise, including older stuff, and are more dependable then the average-Joe selling their crap because they're actual businesses

Tim

Well even if a soundtrack is available in a store does not mean that it could not be out of print.

I've always found it kinda weird that when people find either hard-to-find or rare scores, they always seem to find it in some obscure little record shop, in Europe, or in a Virgin Megastore dealie.

I remember like seven or eight years ago, when I was trying to find Hook, it was nowhere to be found. Of course, I was a Best Buy type of guy. Then one day, I pop into a Virgin Megastore and there it is. I'm not sure why I didn't buy it right then and there, but in any case, I found it years later at a Tower Records and that was when I bought it. And now, I see it all the time. The world is plotting against me.

I find hook in used cd stores all the time, I think that says alot about it.

It says that some people do not care about Hook. That can be said about a very large number of scores and other CDs as well.

it also says they are willing to get rid of it, which takes effort

Who knows, maybe there were an awful lotta copies manufactured.

• 3 weeks later...

It is out of print in the US. If you haven't gotten it yet, you can always get it from Amazon.co.uk like I did. Even with shipping costs from the UK it's a cheaper alternative than Buysoundtrax.

I've seen copies of Rhino's Superman in stores still. I even see the original CD of Superman in some stores.

Really Mark? I even tried several shops in Austin and couldn't find it.

Yeah, Tim, but you see it's a bit difficult for me to find the time to drive all the way to Philly from Texas. :P

Mark's local, that's why I was asking him

I got this cd as birthday present once, presumably in new condition, but sadly it was missing the booklet. Miguel has made copies of it, but yet, it's frustrating to have it, and I don't want to buy the cd's just for booklet.

Yeah, Tim, but you see it's a bit difficult for me to find the time to drive all the way to Philly from Texas.  :(  

Mark's local, that's why I was asking him

Hey!!!! Were did you disappear to?

I've seen copies in Barnes & Noble off 183 and the one in Round Rock. Also at one time the Borders on the south end of Austin near Barton Creek.

You could try tower Records in Dallas or one of the Virgin Megastores up there as well.

That might explain the 25 copies of Titanic I see in every used section....;)

It is out of print in the US. If you haven't gotten it yet, you can always get it from Amazon.co.uk like I did. Even with shipping costs from the UK it's a cheaper alternative than Buysoundtrax.
I've seen copies of Rhino's Superman in stores still. I even see the original CD of Superman in some stores.

Does the import from the UK have the have the slipcase and expanded booklet? Thanks.

From Buysoundtrax

"No longer available domestically, this new import no longer features the deluxe slipcase and expanded booklet."

EDIT: It seems to be available from Amazon.com now, for only $23, hopefully they will have it in stock when I order it.

• 4 years later...

Does the import from the UK have the have the slipcase and expanded booklet? Thanks.

From Buysoundtrax

"No longer available domestically, this new import no longer features the deluxe slipcase and expanded booklet."

Just want to bring back the old thread and want to ask if the new(?) pressing has now a slipcase or not. I want to buy it on Amazon.de as a gift for a friend (I have SUPERMAN with slipcase after all), because it is still in print. Did anyone bought a copy after the (first) SUPERMAN release went OOP? Did it include the expanded booklet and slipcase? Or only the 2CD case with an inlet instead of a booklet (same inlet from the first edition)?

I am not sure, if I can trust the statement of Buysoundtrax. If so, I will buy it on Amazon, otherwise I will try second hand.

Any help would be very much appreciated. So thanks in advance.

You could try contacting the sellers on Amazon. Since the booklet is the width of the jewel case and only fits in the slipcover, if there is no slipcover, it seems probable there is no booklet.

Guess it's out of print or something. A thought, anyone? Thanks.

Here on Amazon.co.uk it is UK£15.93 (Appx US$25) new, and also a few 'used' options for Appx £8 (Appx US$12).

If you live in the U.S there will no doubt be P&P on top of that, but they still look a bargain to me if you want to obtain the set.

I have the Rhino from years back,but to be honest I don't play it much. So if you were desperate for originals,we could work something out.

Mine actually came without the slipcover and the booklet, and it was bought by a friend as birthday present on some local store. By luck, a friend of mine (good old Miguel :)), had an extra set and offered me the slipcase and the booklet. It really does look incomplete without it

I don't have the Blue Box, so I can't say how much more material it has, although I think the difference isn't huge. But the big reason I want to pick up the Blue Box eventually is the improved sound quality. The Rhino release sounds kind of like the SE release of ANH, in terms of sound quality, but the Blue Box apparently sounds significantly better. If only it were possible to just buy the first score by itself...

Then I looked at the year the posts were written. :P

Crikey! Yep, that was something I didn't do before replying :P

5 years later, hopefully he's managed to find a copy :P

The Rhino's always worked fine for me. And, if I may, let me add my voice to those before me (five years later) in saying that it is indeed one of the greatest soundtrack releases of all time.

- Uni

Many thanks for all your responses!

I got this cd as birthday present once, presumably in new condition, but sadly it was missing the booklet. Miguel has made copies of it, but yet, it's frustrating to have it, and I don't want to buy the cd's just for booklet.

On that local store, did you buy the Rhino as a used item or new and still sealed? If you bought it as a sealed item, I am assumed that the 2CD on Amazon is also without slipcase.

And regarding your 2CD set (without slipcase and booklet), is there anything different between the Rhino with and without slipcase? Has your item also an inlet in the 2CD case? If so, completely as same as the other Rhino 2CD set we know? Catalogue number as well as EAN/UPC the same number, too?

Actually, Rhino's Superman doesn't sound bad at all. Not for me anyway.

It's not necessarily a problem, but it definitely doesn't sound like a modern recording by any stretch of the imagination. If the Rhino release is like the ANH SE release, the Blue Box seems to be like ANH on the Anthology set, at least based on the samples.

The FSM release for Superman used the original session elements. Same for the DVD isolated score for it. That's why the FSM version sounds better than the Rhino version.

The only place I had difficulty with the sound on the Rhino is the Helicopter Sequence (Or is it the Big Rescue?) It definitely changes noticeably as it was patched together from various sources, as I understand.

The best extra content on the Blue Box is a couple more alternates like the Dome Opens and the Mugger. There's a bit more source music, and I think another variation of Can You Read My Mind.

That said, the Rhino was, and is, an absolutely magnificent release. I love the presentation, booklet, and the artwork. When it was released, it was a dream come true.

I don't really remember what all there was but "Helicopter Sequence" and "The Burglar Sequence / Chasing Crooks", on the Rhino set was joined when those two cues definitely should have been separated like in the film.

Not sure if that was the only one. I can't remember what all there was. Either way FSM's version is superior because of the sound quality.

Rhino sounded good (and was overall awesome) until we heard the FSM. There's no going back. I never had a problem with the older version outside of some weird edits and a little bit of missing music at the beginning of the burglar scene. I also don't like the film versions of the opening and end titles. FSM overall gets everything right aside from not offering the film version of Can You Read My Mind vocal edited into The Flying Sequence and perhaps some cues that could have (or should have) been separated.

There's nothing wrong with the Rhino. Had FSM never released the box set, I would have been happy to live the rest of my life with the Rhino.