godzilla complete score release!

macuser02

I saw Pan's Labirinth last night.now I want to listen to the score again...it doesn't happen very often nowadays

K.M.Looking for the link

The link is here, but what has this got to do with Godzilla? ;)

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually you can hear Steiner's influence in TLW.

Yes you could say it's a better score than TLW.

Perhaps you should have your Grand Master title revoked?

You are saying Steiner is a better composer then John Williams and I should have my title revoked?

If I'm not mistaken the promo was going to be the actual score album that was going to be released but then the movie tanked, the song album bombed and it was cancelled.

By the way there's some idiot on eBay who's been trying to sell the promo album for over $400.00.

To compare Steiner to Williams is unfair.

Steiner was working during the stone-ages of film music, Williams is working in a completely different field. The difference is huge.

Indeed you don't!

Comparing someone like Steiner to Williams is like comparing Newton to Einstein.  Therefore, it is that which is the idiotic line of thought.  

Williams is compared to classical composers or Golden Age composers all the time, mostly to point out that he is inferiour.

But that's not an idiotic line of thought?

That is idiotic too, because they're just comparing apples and oranges. The musical palette composers had to work with and the demands of audiences just 50 years ago are vastly different from what we have today. Imagine the difference between now and the classical period.

Film music is ever evolving. We started out with a piano, and now 75+ years later the field is exponentially more sophisticated and diverse than what Max Steiner or Rozsa were exposed to. The purists will say otherwise, but back in the day, Steiner and Roza and Korngold didn't have much to pick from, their musical palette was narrow, their audience expected a single style and as such some of them refused to pick from anything but classical/romantic ideas.

People give Hans Zimmer flak for not being diverse enough. But the film scores of his career probably have more diversity to them than anything the pioneers had in their time. There was a time when there were standard programs for the scores of a movie; "if it's night, play evil music, from classical composer..." and that was all there was to it.

Does that make Hans Zimmer a better composer than them? It's not a fair comparison. It's like giving someone who just discovered fire, two rocks and telling them to burn down a city. And then giving someone else a manual with the 10,000 year history and mechanics of heat and fire, and an actual nuke to accomplish the same task.

Good point.

What you are basically saying is what I've been saying for nearly 7 years now. That Golden Age music is mostly warmed up Classical music rearranged to suit a scene. While more modern film music is it's own craft or artform.

The only reason the Golden Age is called the Golden Age is because of the sheer number of movies made and the attendance to those movies.

I too agree, that much of film music was rather boring until...well around the 1950's/1960's...when experimentation took off, and when the factory system kinda went downhill and extinct.

But make no mistake, it was a crucial part of getting us to where we are now. It was the time when the whole "Wagner/Verdi/etc." was slowly being put to rest, and composers began to experiment with creativity, introducing jazz, and basically, the palette of music broadened.

But make no mistake, it was a crucial part of getting us to where we are now. It was the time when the whole "Wagner/Verdi/etc." was slowly being put to rest, and composers began to experiment with creativity, introducing jazz, and basically, the palette of music broadened.

I agree.

Good point.

What you are basically saying is what I've been saying for nearly 7 years now. That Golden Age music is mostly warmed up Classical music rearranged to suit a scene. While more modern film music is it's own craft or artform.

I don't agree. North, Herrmann, Rozsa and Newman to name a few, all had distinct musical voices. You can hear influences but the same can be said of Williams, Goldsmith, Barry, Bernstein etc etc.

How film music is used has changed, I'm reminded of Spielberg's comments that Williams felt he didn't need to play IJ's theme in LC for every heroic moment. So you don't alwas get the evil theme for the bad guy or the romantic swell for the kiss.

In my opinion film music was at it's peak from the mid 60's to the late 80's.

I don't agree. North, Herrmann, Rozsa and Newman to name a few, all had distinct musical voices. You can hear influences but the same can be said of Williams, Goldsmith, Barry, Bernstein etc etc.

I tend to think that Steiner, Waxman and Korngold brought "old" styles to film music, without really exploring it too far as its own form of music (though it must be said that Korngold in particular was surprisingly experimental and modern with his non-film music).

North and Herrmann really did establish film music as a style of music in its own right. As a result, their scores are more timeless, since they don't sound like "19th century romantic scores" or "early 20th century scores". Listening to Citizen Kane and A Streetcar Named Desire, there is virtually nothing to give away the fact that they were written 50-60 years ago.

Rozsa's been half way between, for me. Which is a good thing - his music is probably the most accessible (for me) of Golden Age composers - since he did experiment and bring lots of new ideas, but also used established ideas and styles, that make for very pleasant listening.

I'm yet to really explore Alfred Newman's music, so I don't know which group he'd fit into.

• 2 weeks later...

well if la la land were a bit more helpful and nicer maybe i wouldnt have to go to the composer! instead of just saying no comment every time! i'm a die hard fan and have been waiting for years for this release and want info on its status.

I trust macuser... he's been telling me for a while about the people he contacts, and he really does get in contact with them... it's cool because they ususlly send him a track from something too ...unreleased... so it's not something he'd fake...

Oh I don't doubt him, there probably is a good chance it's getting released. There have been rumors these past few years that someone was possibly looking into the release rights. And if macuser 02 isn't telling the truth then he is going to be the one with egg on his face.

My point is I really don't don't think its right to leak info to people so they can go post it all over the internet.

If LaLaLand says no comment then that should be enough. When they are ready to announce it they will. Does he take this attitude with FSM, Intrada and Varese over their releases? To me that attitude shows a little immaturity on his part.

I just wonder how complete this will be. I think there is enough music to make it a 2 disc set. There is quite a bit of music I'd like to hear.

My point is I really don't don't think its right to leak info to people so they can go post it all over the internet.

If LaLaLand says no comment then that should be enough. When they are ready to announce it they will. Does he take this attitude with FSM, Intrada and Varese over their releases? To me that attitude shows a little immaturity on his part.

I agree with this. I'm willing to bet he does the same with FSM, Intrada and Varese over their releases.

I just wonder how complete this will be. I think there is enough music to make it a 2 disc set. There is quite a bit of music I'd like to hear.

There definitely is enough music to make it a 2-CD set. If this does actually come true and we hear final word from La La Land then I will purchase the score, until then I remain skeptic.

I agree with this. I'm willing to bet he does the same with FSM, Intrada and Varese over their releases.

NO I don't! This is the ONLY release I am very excited about and am doing it for and ever will do it for! Don't imply I do something when I don't!

What? It's not like he's spreading false rumors or anything, he's just obtaining information and sharing it with others, hopefully with accuracy.

Since when are the PR gabinets so trust and respect-worthy one can't do his own research? I mean, jeesh.

You never know, record labels might deliberately leak "rumours" like this, to up the hype (if they are releasing it), without officially commiting themselves to a release date before it's finished?

Eh, they might. Most of them try to keep things under wraps to avoid starting a frenzy of questions and bickering.

I believe Robert Townson at Varese had mentioned once that there have been instances where score releases are in the works but then things happen to derail it, legal issues, studio decisions etc etc.

So I'm content to wait and if they throw out a hint then I'll have fun speculating on what it could be.

Eh, they might. Most of them try to keep things under wraps to avoid starting a frenzy of questions and bickering.

That's at least what they say. Like Doug Fake, he always promises he never wants to over-hype things about releases, yet he is the first to give out clues which automatically lead to over-hype and speculations among fans. So in a way he keeps his promise because he is not the one who over-hypes but he is the one who indirectly starts it :)

And let's be honest, a lot of the titles in intradas special collection would not have sold so fast without that hype factor.

Yes he does, but they are ready to be released, there's no obstacles that will cause them to be shelved. The only one that comes to mind is Amazing Stories III because of the Family Dog elements missing and that is still getting released.

You don't hear anyone going, "Composer X told me Intrada, Varese or FSM is releasing this score". And lately LaLaLand has strayed away from giving hints, Varese doesn't give hints, FSM every now and then gives a hint.